E-liquid lab/toxicology reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Three interim reports, and three extremely positive reports on e-smoking! The Holy Grail is in sight. This one answers virtually every question, including a lack of danger from second-hand vapor and the emissions from a cartridge not in use. Very thorough.

One major caveat: This applies ONLY to Ruyan products. Those are the only products subjected to the kind of clinical trial that an agency like WHO will consider when it meets in November on our beloved practice. If the government mandates auto safety and Fords pass the test, it doesn't mean Chevys are also approved. Every single e-cig maker and liquid maker must have testing done.

You think E-Cig.com gets a pass? Think again.

This is likely the last report to be issued before the WHO conference and we can only hope it sways that advisory group to proclaim e-smoking worthy of further study as an alternative to cigarette smokers seeking a safer nicotine delivery method. Thanks for finding it, Jigtg!

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Don't forget that the highest nicotine level in that test was 16mg. We probably take more puffs with ecigs also because they don't burn out. They say in the tests that a Ruyan cartridge (of 1ml) lasts a twenty a day smoker about two days ... that's just not how it is for us. Most people vape at least 2ml per day. At 16mg per ml that's 32mg or about 32 cigarettes worth.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Yeah, don't be fooled by the numbers they give us, the maths in the formal tests just doesn't add up to the same as our experiences on the forum. We don't get 20 cigs worth of vapour out of a 1ml cartridge and most of us don't last a day on just 1ml.

One of the problems with comparing is that we are not comparing like for like, smoking and vaping are different habits. We do it differently at different potency levels and for different durations. Apparently even the acidity levels make a difference with how much nicotine is absorbed into our bloodstreams, vapour is more alkaline which is better for absorption than the more acidic cigs.

So I suppose everyone needs to do their own maths and even then take note on how it's affecting your body. I think quite a few of us have raised our tolerance levels and are taking in more nic than we realise.

★Comet★

Oct 14, 2008
  • Deleted by shawnp1
  • Reason: user violation

xpdx

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2009
Pacific NW USA
Does anyone know if we can hire an independent lab to test various eliquids and other e-smoking materials? I would love to see this board be a place where we could pool resources and get random samples every month or so to make sure we aren't killing ourselves faster than we wanted to.

A lot of this stuff comes from CHINA which doesn't have such a good track record for looking out for peoples health. I think we all remember the milk poisonings and the lead in toys and so forth. There have been cases where Chinese suppliers have lied about PG and substituted cheaper toxic chemicals. 8-o

Is anybody with me on this? It seems pretty important to me. I would be willing to chip some every month and try to find a lab if others can be convinced to get involved...

xpdx

xpdx

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2009
Pacific NW USA
xpdx, see LINK for that discussion. You'll find some helpful information about getting testing done there :)
riddle80-

A yes, I see.:) That thread seems to be about government or academic testing on the effects of e-smoking and has evolved into being about regulation of e-juice etc. I am more interested in a simple lab test to see what the contents are of popular smoke liquid and cartridges from some of the major manufacturers. Just to make sure they aren't giving us a lungful of arsenic or something...

I am pretty opposed to government telling me what I can and cannot do with my own body and would rather avoid getting them involved if at all possible. There are labs that can do simple and inexpensive tests to tell you the makeup of pretty much anything you send them. This is the kind of testing I am proposing. I just want to make sure I know what I am inhailing into my lungs. :)

I think I might be hijacking that other thread if I go there with this idea at this point..

Maybe I should start and entirely new thread?

Does anyone know if we can hire an independent lab to test various eliquids and other e-smoking materials? I would love to see this board be a place where we could pool resources and get random samples every month or so to make sure we aren't killing ourselves faster than we wanted to.

A lot of this stuff comes from CHINA which doesn't have such a good track record for looking out for peoples health. I think we all remember the milk poisonings and the lead in toys and so forth. There have been cases where Chinese suppliers have lied about PG and substituted cheaper toxic chemicals. 8-o

Is anybody with me on this? It seems pretty important to me. I would be willing to chip some every month and try to find a lab if others can be convinced to get involved...

It's a real travesty that governments all round the world aren't fast-tracking serious research into this - I can think of no greater issue of importance that deserves immediate attention, due to what's at stake in terms of health for literally millions of people.

Instead, money gets wasted on the most trivial and mundane of matters to be studied, where the cost/benefit ratios are almost nill.

riddle80

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2008
Nashville, TN
I've thought the same thing Stack. If not government, then some big company or billionaire. I know if I were rich, I'd be testing the heck out of this and trying to perfect it where it would be available for all smokers to replace their habit without worries of bans. Who knows what's actually happening now though. There's probably testing being done by someone somewhere that we don't yet know of.

XP, I think you need to have 15 posts before you can start a new thread. You can keep adding comments to existing posts till you reach it. There's plenty to talk about round here so it shouldn't be hard :).

Last edited:

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
The rise of a smoking alternative will erode a billion dollar tax fund for the goverment.

They SAY they tax cigs so high "because they are baaaad for you"

In reality, Smokers are an easy group to tax the h*ll out of, because we are a group * nobody * will stand up and defend.

For this reason, UNTIL they figure out a way to "regulate" (ie tax) e-cigs, no goverment will support them. They care far more about their taxes than they care about your health.

coolnesscat

Dec 21, 2008
I have seen some posts on vg changing to acrolein when heated to 280 degrees. Is this what happens? I read somewhere else that is needs a catylist to do this? I havent heard that about pg. I have USP VG and PG is that the same as food grade? So is pg safer? I was thinking about adding vg to the mix to increase sweetness and smoke density. how about the flavorings any hazards in vaping them along with the pg/vg mix? what would you sugest as the safest formula for no nic? wher can i get tobacco flavor no nic? lorann does not have anything like that?
Side note one of my batteries is messed up when i conect it to the atomizer it gets it red hot with out ever taking 1 drag what is wrong? could it be over charged? could the liquid have got in the battery and messed it up?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread