E-liquid lab/toxicology reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkdudes007

Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Alabama,Florida,N.Y.
Listen All of you!

I have a masters degree in chemistry and I can tell you for certain that "vaping" propylene glycol is defenately not safe.

I work with Mono ethylene glycol an Mono propylene glycol every day and they both have very low LD50s, this means they can easily poison you.

Please be aware that what you are calling PG (propylene glycol) is a group of chemicals not a specific one, and the vast majority of Propylene glycols are dangerous.

samurisloth2 hours ago
[This what I found on utube]

Last edited:

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
Listen All of you!

I have a masters degree in chemistry and I can tell you for certain that "vaping" propylene glycol is defenately not safe.

I work with Mono ethylene glycol an Mono propylene glycol every day and they both have very low LD50s, this means they can easily poison you.

Please be aware that what you are calling PG (propylene glycol) is a group of chemicals not a specific one, and the vast majority of Propylene glycols are dangerous.

samurisloth2 hours ago
Thanks for informing us man!

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
Listen All of you!

samurisloth2 hours ago

To quote Jules Winfield (Our Man in Inglewood): "Allow me to retort...".
I don't have a Masters degree, just a B.S. in Chemistry from a state university. But I'd like to make a few points nonetheless.

Firstly, the LD50 (oral toxicity) of propylene glycol is about 18,500 mg/kg. Ethylene glycol comes in about four times lower at ~4700 mg/kg. Sodium chloride is about the same (I don't recommend eating fistfuls of table salt either). Another problem is that we really can't use LD50 comparisons since the toxicity of the two is different. For example, the LD50 of arsenic is about 2400 mg/kg. Would you rather ingest 2400 mg/kg of arsenic or propylene glycol? PG is metabolized as lactic acid, which is naturally consumed in the process of anaerobic cellular respiration. EG is metabolized into oxalic acid which gives you kidney stones, organ failure and a horrible premature death. Of course you know that these differences in metabolism arise from the differences in the carbon structural backbones in the compounds (propylene and ethylene) Not the functional groups (the glycols).

Second, propylene glycol is composed of only two stereo isomers in a racemic mix. So saying "a group of chemicals" while technically correct, is also somewhat misleading, especially since the two isomers have nearly identical physical and chemical properties. Also you stated "the vast majority of propylene glycols are dangerous. This cannot be true for two reasons: First, PG has been used by the food service industry for years without issue and is considered a safe food additive by the FDA in concentrations of 25 mL/kg or less. If it weren't for the nicotine, you could chug 5mL bottles of juice like a frat boy and experience no ill effects. Second, you can't have "a vast majority" of anything when there's only two of them. The math simply doesn't work.

In a nutshell, I guess what I'm saying here is that both of your talking points are completely flawed, and therefore, invalid.

Yours in Chemistry,
entropy1049

PS- Fun Fact! Just did a "back of an envelope" calculation based on the density of PG and it's toxicity and it would seem that ingesting 100 mL of 100 PG/0 VG, nicotine free juice (assuming you're not allergic to PG, then all bets are off) could result in a tummy ache. And not much more...

Last edited:

LaraPaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Northern VA/DC Metro
I am NOT a scientist. However out of personal curiosity I have been doing some reading to attempt to glean information about the safety of propylene glycol, specifically inhalation. Two interesting studies I enjoyed reading abstracts for are below, maybe some of the folks w science backgrounds can give some impressions?

Non-clinical safety and pharmacokinetic - PubMed Mobile
Non-clinical safety and pharmacokinetic evaluations of propylene glycol aerosol in Sprague-Dawley rats and Beagle dogs.

Preclinical safety evaluation of inhale - PubMed Mobile
Preclinical safety evaluation of inhaled cyclosporine in propylene glycol.

Spacecraft Maximum Allowable Concentrations for Selected Airborne Contaminants: Volume 5
Also, this was a cool publication from the National Academy of Sciences titled "Spacecraft Maximum Allowable Concentrations for Selected Airborne Contaminants: Volume 5" - pages 314-326 discusses Propylene Glycol. There is a LOT of text to understand but it's fascinating reading and I am sure some people with a chemistry background could distill some of the main findings.

Johnnysb

Moved On
Sep 25, 2013
San Jose, CA
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Linkspammer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread