E-LIQUID MADE FROM TOBACCO... TAR CONTENT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonaathan

Jun 4, 2017
Hi all, I've tried asking this elsewhere without response.
As the title says: if an ejuice is made from tobacco leaf (there are various guides for doing so online, made by soaking tobacco in VG/PG for a few days with mild heat then filtering) could there be any tar in the vapor of that juice?

Tar apparently comes from partially combusted plant matter, and I'm guessing a solution like this would be dissolving quite a reasonable amount of plant matter. There might not be any absolute combustion, but the very high heat still makes me suspicious about it.

Sadly, it didn't take long to search for another thread here where users talk about juices that do contain Tar:
E-Liquid with Tar!?!?

Any input would be hugely appreciated, including scientific reasoning! :)

Reactions: BrotherBob

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
no there is no tar in vaping

diffen.com/difference/Smoking_vs_Vaping

invape.com/benefits-of-vaping/
So what’s the big deal about e-cigarettes? I’ll tell you. You get your nicotine delivered in a water vapor. No more tar, no more smoke, no more other chemicals and toxins…period!

answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140321171936AAleIAP
Tar comes from hydrocarbons, which come from smoke only. There's no worry about tar with vapor.

Assuming you're using proper ejuice, no real concern with lung issues other than congestion from high VG juices, or general dehydration. Irritation or inflammation could be possible issues but generally don't seem to be a concern from anectdotal evidence.

If you are vaping something that shouldn't be vaped, it's possible to have serious lung related concerns. No actual oils should ever be vaped, a proper fatty lipid is not to be inhaled. E-juices are sugar alcohol based, not oil based, so if you're using an "e-juice" that lists any kind of oil as an ingredient (though essential oils used for flavoring are usually not true lipid oils) then you should trash it. Inhalation of lipids can lead to lipid pneumonia.

there's plenty of other examples, just search is there tar in vaping

[odd for some reason it wouldn't let me post direct links]

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
This comment is factually incorrect

So what’s the big deal about e-cigarettes? I’ll tell you. You get your nicotine delivered in a water vapor. No more tar, no more smoke, no more other chemicals and toxins…period!

There probably isn't tar (as we know it) produced by any sort of e-liquid, but facts are facts and invape.com need to be careful making comments like this.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
a quick test to find tar in NETs would be to place a piece of paper towel over the drip tip and inhale several times. If the paper towel turns the same color of a used ciggie .... ( the orangey brown color) then you may have some tar showing up. But heres the thing about it tho, the amount of heat needed to produce it would make vaping so harsh, you would have one heck of a time inhaling it. Tar is produced in the same manner as creosote.... an uncomplete combustion process which doesnt totally burn off the "resins" leaving that goo behind and in the smoke which gets deposited on just about any surface the smoke makes contact with.

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    The closest thing to tar with vaping we call "gunk" because it ends up on the coil not in your lungs. It is still not the result of combustion. Depending on how well they are filtered, tobacco and other extracts may leave more gunk than other flavors, but so do more strongly flavored synthetics. This has very little to do with it being tobacco specifically. When tests have been done on tobacco extracts for known vaping flavoring concerns such as diacetyl and TSNAs, the results have been excellent.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Hi all, I've tried asking this elsewhere without response.
    As the title says: if an ejuice is made from tobacco leaf (there are various guides for doing so online, made by soaking tobacco in VG/PG for a few days with mild heat then filtering) could there be any tar in the vapor of that juice?
    Tar apparently comes from partially combusted plant matter, and I'm guessing a solution like this would be dissolving quite a reasonable amount of plant matter. There might not be any absolute combustion, but the very high heat still makes me suspicious about it.
    Sadly, it didn't take long to search for another thread here where users talk about juices that do contain Tar:
    E-Liquid with Tar!?!?
    Any input would be hugely appreciated, including scientific reasoning! :)
    Welcome and glad you joined. Great question.
    Might like to read:
    "E-cigarettes create an aerosol, commonly called vapor, generally containing nicotine, flavors, glycerol and propylene glycol. Its exact composition varies. The majority of toxic chemicals found in tobacco smoke are absent in e-cigarette aerosol. Those present are mostly below 1% corresponding levels in tobacco smoke."
    re: vaping smoke compositions - Google Search
    Looks like tar varies, amount of tar? Depends on how you set up the testing parameters. I suspect the following site conducted their test with the absense of net tobacco, so you could check:
    VapeWild Test Results
    Perhaps, the chemicals listed above may be components of tar, but I have no scientific background or references to substantiate this statement. Anyway, in defense of vaping, I suspect you would receive far more "Tar" chemicals by strolling down a moderate traffic city street than you do from vaping net tobacco mixtures.
    Additional data:
    Tobacco smoke - Wikipedia
    Did some research on the safety of heating A-1 Kanthal wire. • r/electronic_cigarette

Tonee N

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    Did someone say tar?
    1c56046c47ff60364df2a24ab7e7709a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie
    Status
    Not open for further replies.