E-Liquid Nicotine Amounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
My point was tobacco smokers would not get the needed nicotine from e-cigs if it were being destroyed by the heater coil... smoker cessation rates would show NO difference between e-cig users and placebos and NO cessation due to e-cig use.

Somewhere in this the information being reported doesn't add up !

I agree with most of this comment, but not the part about seeing no difference in cessation rates bit. For me, 90% or thereabouts (personal estimation) of my addiction is from the ritual (read:eek:ral fixation) of smoking. Evidence: I went from smoking Marlboro Menthols and straight to 12% or under vaping with ZERO issue.

Carbon

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Very glad for you Carbon you were able to beat that monster :)

I have severe COPD, and without goin into the details, NO ONE wants to live each day fighting so terrifingly desperately for oxygen just tryin to walk around ones home.

I'm so sorry. My mom has severe COPD as well. She was a 60 year smoker, never though she'd do it but loves vaping. She's off one inhaler and one bp med. She feels better mentally and physically. That constant cough is pretty much gone. She wasn't even aware of it, but I could find her in the store by her cough. Terrible to say, but true.

panachronic

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
WA
And here's a link to a research study reported last year, indicating that approximately ZERO nicotine is delivered with PVs.

Study: 'Electronic cigarettes' don't deliver - CNN

I highly doubt that it true, but at the temperature atomizers vaporize at, I do know that nicotine (at least some) is virtually destroyed during the process. At least that I have read in several places.

Carbon
Every vaper who has ever copped a nicotine buzz from overly-strong juice (and that's quite a few of us) knows that study is pure garbage.

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Every vaper who has ever copped a nicotine buzz from overly-strong juice (and that's quite a few of us) knows that study is pure garbage.

That's what I figured as well, been reading too many posts regarding the buzz at high nic levels!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
The original post is starting with inaccurate assumptions, that a cig
contain 1.6 to 3.6 milligrams total nicotine

That is the amount of absorbed nicotine from a cig, not the total contained.
Nicotine Poisoning - Cigarette Smoking Facts About the Effects of Nicotine Overdose

A cigarette on the market today contains somewhere around 10 mg of nicotine.
However only 0.5 - 2 mg of nicotine is delivered in the smoke itself.

So comparing a pack of smokes labeled as 1mg, would be 20mg absorbed, versus DRINKING 1mL of 20mg nicotine liquid. (NOT RECOMMENDED TO TRY!!) If vaping, we're absorbing 25-30% of the available nic it would be 3-4mL of juice to be equal to a pack of smokes. About average for both smokers and vapers.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
wv2win :

Can you please give me the science research study summary or/and URL which evidences your comment. (soto prove your comment is infact actual responsible and reliable knowledge, not merely opinion, whether your own or some other sources you've simply accepted.)

I have yet to find any accoutable, responsible ( genuine ) clinical research dealing with the lung's responses to the ingredients in e-liquid, not to mention the efficacy of the lung's receptors and aveoli processes concerning e-liquid nicotine.

Go to CASAA. Just click on my signature under this post. I believe it was the New Zealand study or the University of VA study. CASAA has a number of studies listed or linked on their site.

COPDer

Jan 22, 2012
Canada
The original post is starting with inaccurate assumptions, that a cig

That is the amount of absorbed nicotine from a cig, not the total contained.

FALSE... The federal govt of Canada and Health Canada list the tobacco's toxic emissions present per unit on each/every tobacco item legitimately marketed. My figures are ACCURATE ! The total amount of nicotine in the tobacco is irrelevant ; only the amount present in the smokestream has any relevance and that's what's listed on the cig packaging. This amount is NOT absorbed amounts, only emitted amounts.

I think you're wearing that helmut too tight...

if you say the tobacco in a normal ksize cig has 20 times to 5 times more nicotine in it then is delivered in the airstream when smoking, then a cig with whatever amount of nicotine would only have 1/20 to 1/5 that amount available in the smoke stream .... doe ~

As for your claim 25 % is absorbed in vaping... research says the heat in the burning tobacco destroys most of the nicotine present in it's leaf, however, research also measures the temp of the heater of the e-cig at only 10% of a tobacco cig, soooo, common sense says more nicotine should be present in the vapestream than smokestream.

CASAA.org
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ScienceResearch/UCM173250.pdf

" The sparging apparatus was used to quantify the amount of nicotine released during use of these electronic cigarettes (Table 2). Levels found were consistent with
the labeling (low, medium and high); "

However, if there's far more nicotine present in the unburned tobacco cig than emitted when burned, then they'll likely average out about the same in terms of emitted amounts.

I stand behind my original post being accurate and true for the most part.

However, nicotine absorbed is relative to several issues, like a persons age, body-weight, race and fitness.

Generally, the lung's processes decline over time, and a healthy young adult's lungs aveoli are most effective at extracting gases from the bronchia's airstream and passing them across into the bloodstream.

The health of ones lung's functioning are also affected by environmental issues, like comparatively clear air versus industrially polluted air.

So too, those which formally exercise each week, like walking, cyclying, treadmilling, swimming etc, will have better lung function than those which don't, regardless of age.

However, the lungs processes can be severely and permanently damaged by such things as severe lung infections, like influenza, etc, corrosive fumes, like bleach, etc.

Last edited:

COPDer

Jan 22, 2012
Canada
Though I've yet to find/see any credable research measuring the absorbed nicotine in e-cigs, although lots of people seem to not need the facts and just make-it-up, there's somethings worth considering.

In the nicotine present in the emitted smokestream from tobacco use, the lung's ability to absorb nicotine could be influenced by the large volume of toxic gases that nicotine is included with. If so, perhaps less is actually absorbed then would be if the inhaled gases were ' cleaner '.

2+2 says, if true, the non-toxic gases of the e-cig are cleaner and lung absorption could actually be comparatively greater for e-cig users.

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
Though I've yet to find/see any credable research measuring the absorbed nicotine in e-cigs, although lots of people seem to not need the facts and just make-it-up, there's somethings worth considering.

In the nicotine present in the emitted smokestream from tobacco use, the lung's ability to absorb nicotine could be influenced by the large volume of toxic gases that nicotine is included with. If so, perhaps less is actually absorbed then would be if the inhaled gases were ' cleaner '.

2+2 says, if true, the non-toxic gases of the e-cig are cleaner and lung absorption could actually be comparatively greater for e-cig users.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...3-blood-test-lab-results-nicotine-levels.html

The question has been raised many times. I personally cannot believe the answer remains elusive after so long. This is not that hard to test.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
FALSE... The federal govt of Canada and Health Canada list the tobacco's toxic emissions present per unit on each/every tobacco item legitimately marketed. My figures are ACCURATE ! The total amount of nicotine in the tobacco is irrelevant ; only the amount present in the smokestream has any relevance and that's what's listed on the cig packaging. This amount is NOT absorbed amounts, only emitted amounts.

I think you're wearing that helmut too tight...

Tight enough to not turn my brain mushy. From what you're stating then you don't know the amount being absorbed by smoking a cigarette ????? Even with all the additives that BT adds to increase the absorbsion, (oddly missing in my vape) and years of studies the amount of nic absorbed from a cig is unknown ??? :ohmy:

Vaping unlike smoking produces much larger droplets in the vapor than in smoke, much less easily absorbed.

COPDer

Jan 22, 2012
Canada
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...3-blood-test-lab-results-nicotine-levels.html

The question has been raised many times. I personally cannot believe the answer remains elusive after so long. This is not that hard to test.

Thanks for the link :)

I'm a little confused by the info there. The original blood tests seem to say e-cigs deliver slightly better than 1/3 the nicotine as a typical regular tobacco cig does, yet another poster claims research shows only a 1/10 in ecigs compared to tobacco.

Any advice ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread