E-Lites: a surprisingly awesome analog-lookalike (very detailed review)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelagic

Mar 23, 2012
Canada
E-Lites "G9 Series"

I've read so many threads on here about smaller e-cigarettes not working very well or having extremely poor battery life so I thought I'd share my experience with the E-Lites (not to be confused with E-Light or Elite), which I have found to be great and have excellent battery life. It is a UK brand and only became available in the US fairly recently, which perhaps explains why I couldn't find very much info online about this brand. It is supposedly the #1 brand of e-cigarette in the UK however.

SUMMARY: I would highly recommend E-Lites to any smoker who is looking to start vaping for the first time and would like something that is simple and does a good job of tricking the mind into thinking you are still smoking, (or anyone else looking for something like that). It produces good consistant vapor, is extremely easy to use, and has excellent battery life for its size. There are only 2 pieces: a battery and a cartomizer, just screw them together and you're ready to go.

KIT: I purchased their most expensive kit, the "E-Pro 4" kit, for $99 US, which comes with 2 "G9 Series" batteries (which is their latest battery that comes standard with all their kits now or can be purchased separately; it's the only battery they currently offer aside from their disposable e-cigs). The components of the kit are:
- 1 battery with red LED tip,
- 1 battery with green LED tip,
- 1 portable charging case,
- 1 usb charger,
- 1 wall charger,
- and 5 "E-Tips" pre-filled cartomizers (supposedly the equivalent of 40 cigarettes per carto).
I also purchased some extra pre-filled cartomizers. The completed e-cig looks remarkably like a real cigarette but is a bit bigger, and it is heavier, but I think that's a problem that you'll have with any e-cig that isn't a piece of crap.

BATTERY: I have been amazed at how long the batteries last on a charge. I have been vaping with them pretty much constantly and have found them to last 24 to 28 hours on a charge. I have had a couple people in another thread claim that this is "impossible", but I am seriously not exaggerating about the battery life or how much I use it. I was a pack and a half a day smoker and my e-cig never leaves my hand except when I'm sleeping or showering, and I estimate I take approximately 100 long drags a day off it. I know 2 other people with E-Lites and they've had the same results with battery life so I really don't think I'm an "abnormal vaper". Unfortunately I don't know the specs on the battery and haven't been able to find any info online, nor about what manufacturer's model number the E-Lites products are or whether they are compatible with any other parts. This is the one thing that I have found annoying and would warn other potential customers about. I suspect there are 2 possibilities: either the company does not publish this info because they want you to have to buy only from them, or else they are proprietary products which are not compatible with any other cartos/atomizers/batts/etc. If you are hoping to be able to mix and match with other brands or upgrade with other parts you may have a hard time doing so. If anyone knows whether E-Lites are compatible with any other threading, please let me know :)

Now it's possible that the battery life will decrease over time as I have only had them for a couple of weeks, but the company claims that the performance in this regard is much better than other brands and they do come with a 6-month warranty. I will update this thread in a while to report on whether there have been any changes in battery life.

The batteries are automatic (meaning they have no button and are activated by suction: all you have to do is suck on the e-cig and inhale the vapor). The battery will go on for up to about 4 seconds if you suck on it but if you are still sucking it will immediately come right back on (to me it's imperceptible). I haven't found there to be a "cut-off" where the battery will shut off and not come back on for a couple minutes (so if there is one it must be after a very long time because I have tried sucking on it as long as I could or taking repeated puffs).

CARTOMIZERS: The cartos come in 3 types: regular/full-strength tobacco (24mg), "light" tobacco (18mg, I think - I didn't order any of these yet), and menthol (18mg). The liquid is mostly PG with a bit of VG (doesn't say what percentage). I really like their flavour and the regular tobacco flavour tastes surprisingly close to an actual cigarette only a bit sweeter, so I think it would be great for anyone who is just starting vaping and/or who wants that tabacco taste. The taste kind of reminds me of the smell of when you open a fresh pack of cigarettes. They do taste more like Canadian cigarettes than they do "full-flavour" American cigarettes (which personally I don't like anyway). The menthol is nice too but doesn't taste entirely like menthol cigarettes - but I may be biased because I hate menthol cigarettes. Like many brands, E-Lites sells their cartos as "disposable" but as most people who have done a little research will realize that is not entirely true. You can remove the mouthpiece and refill it. However, they do not sell empty cartos so unless you want to vape your carto until it is empty and risk burning the material inside (which leaves it forever gross and is probably not a good idea to continue vaping after that point) you are going to be stuck with some of the pre-filled liquid inside the carto. A pack of 5 cartos is $25 (or you can get more for cheaper) and I have found them to last for a surprisingly long time - I think their claim of "40 cigarettes equivalent" is actually very accurate. I did have one of the cartos leak a tiny bit into my mouth once, but I'm not sure if that was just poor vaping technique on my part - I might have been getting a little aggressive with the puffing. I will post if I have any more problems like that.

CASE: I haven't actually received my PCC yet, because they forgot to send it, which was annoying, but I have to admit I haven't really had a need for it. The case they sent me instead is the one that looks almost the same on the exterior as the charger case but is the case that normally comes with their "DUO3" kit. Personally I don't like it very much. It only holds one battery and one carto and the USB charger and I am not in love with the shape/size or look of it but, hey, maybe it's just a matter of taste. The PCC holds 2 batteries and 2 cartomizers. E-Lites says their PCC stores enough power for 4 battery charges, plus a spare battery on "permanent charge". Both cases are made (mostly) of plastic and a black soft-touch material on the outside, perhaps silicone, and lined on the inside.

CHARGERS: I haven't really used the USB charger yet. The wall socket charger only charges one battery at a time and it takes a few hours to fully charge a battery.

Hope this covers everything, please feel free to let me know if anyone has any questions at all. You can see photos on the E-Lites website. Like any analog-lookalike you might want to be careful vaping somewhere where smoking is not allowed, as people may mistake it for a cigarette, especially from a distance.

I'm not certain whether or not I'm allowed to post a link to the E-Lites website, (the rules for reviews are unclear) so here it is and if that's a faux pas please feel free to remove it, mods:
US site: Electronic Cigarettes - USA's Best E-Cigarette | E-Lites USA

NOTE: I live in Canada but I got my E-Lites sent to the US and went and picked it up. If you live outside the US or the UK then it may be harder to order from this company as shipments containing nicotine might get held at the border.​

Last edited:

John1952

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2012
United States
If they work for you, great.

But for about half of what you paid you can get a known entity -- such as a kGo kit. And you don't have keep paying the original supplier for refills. And you won't be subjected to that "40 cigarettes per carto" lie.

I have a feeling that you'll eventually move on to something that performs better and is more reasonably priced.

Viper65

Jan 11, 2012
Afghanistan

But for about half of what you paid you can get a known entity -- such as a kGo kit. And you don't have keep paying the original supplier for refills. And you won't be subjected to that "40 cigarettes per carto" lie.

I have a feeling that you'll eventually move on to something that performs better and is more reasonably priced.

"Everybody"......has something better we should all "move on" to.

Pelagic

Mar 23, 2012
Canada
I wanted to make one correction to my review. I said that the battery seemed to briefly turn off after around 4 seconds, but I think I was mistaken about that. I'm pretty sure it is actually just that the strength of my suction (if you will, lol) was lessening at around the 4 second mark. Like most (all?) automatics it does require a certain level of suction in order to turn on (and keep on) the battery (for obvious reasons). In subsequent tests I have tried more continuous suction on the battery for longer periods of times and it doesn't seem to shut off at any point, at least not any point within my lung capacity. Either way, I can't forsee anyone having any problems with not getting a long enough drag, and unlike some e-cigarettes the E-Lites don't appear to have a cut-off point upon which time they will shut off for a period of time.

*Another interesting side-note on the battery life, I read one review where the reviewer compared the E-Lites to her Joye 510 and said she found the E-Lites battery to last 4-5 times longer.

Last edited:

Pelagic

Mar 23, 2012
Canada

What is a "known entity"? Known to who?
And I did purchase the most expensive E-Lites kit. There are other cheaper kits available (with the same battery). Does a comparable KGo kit give me 2 batteries, a PCC, 2 chargers, and this good of battery life?

Pretty much everyone moves on to another type of e-cig/PV, for a variety of reasons. I never said that E-Lites are perfect, or will be perfect forever, they have their pros and cons - like any system - but I would still highly recommend them for certain people (as I outlined already).

I don't see how you can say that other types such as the KGo "perform better" when you have never tried E-Lites.

As for the cartos, as I said, you can refill them yourself, they are just marketed as "disposable", which is not that uncommon. (However disposable cartos could actually be seen as a benefit by some people who desire simplicity).

As for "being subjected to that '40 cigarettes per carto'" lie" how I am being "subjected" to it? Because people want to know, the company states that the cartos are approximately equivalent to around 40 cigarettes, and (as I already said) I do actually find them to last a surprisingly long time, so I don't consider it a "lie". And even if they were exaggerating about it I really wouldn't feel that it was harming me in some way. Plenty of manufacturers give no estimate as to equivalency, is that somehow better? It's extremely difficult to compare number of cigarettes to an amount of e-liquid (as evidenced by the number of conversations about it on this forum) and definitely YMMV. But I don't think the company is "subjecting" me to anything malicious by posting a guesstimate.

Last edited:

Pelagic

Mar 23, 2012
Canada
I'm not THAT excited about it, I wrote about the positives and the negatives (which there are some, as well as some that could be a positive or negative depending on what someone is looking for), and I think I posted a detailed and fair review. I thought that there was a lack in detailed info available online about this particular product and that others would be interested in the info. I know there are a lot of people on the forums that are prejudiced about analog-lookalikes and/or smaller sizes, but I've also noticed that there are a lot of people who - especially if they are smokers and potentially looking to quit and replace it with vaping for the first time - are looking for something like this (for a number of very understandable reasons). I think that for this "genre" of e-cigs that E-Lites are a good choice. They appear to have a much better battery life than other comparably sized e-cigs. I have done a ton of research on e-cigs and PVs and had been reading this forum for quite some time before joining. I do have other purchases planned but that does not change or negate my review. I just found it frustrating that some people leap to conclusions and are so vehemently against analog-lookalikes that they think anyone who likes one or is looking for one is clearly a clueless noob. Hopefully my review can be helpful for those who are looking for a simple first-time e-cig. At least they can be informed and decide for themselves whether or not it has the features that are important to them :)

Last edited:

uAdC

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
New Jersey
I personally like the size and comfortable feel of the analog-sized (or slightly extended battery) PV's.

But I do think that the site you chose is a bit pricey. By "known" i think they were referring to having a good reputation on this site, as there is a lot of wisdom to be found in the experience of other vapers.

I first started with a Volt from Smokeless Image. After briefly dabbling in the world of VV, I found it too bothersome and faded back to analogs altogether.

Coming back to vaping recently, and hopefully for good, I returned to Smokeless Image for more of what initially got me off of analogs. Their batteries are great, and so are the cartos in both longevity and flavor. They have two comparable kits to what you were looking for here:

Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Volt - Pro Starter Kit - Starter Kits

Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Volt - Premium Starter Kit - Starter Kits

On top of great products and fast shipping, their customer service is topnotch. They have a real-time customer support chat window available on their site during business hours, and they are never shy about helping you with a problem or replacement if needed.

hope this helps.

:toast:

ACM

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
As someone who has tried and enjoyed a couple of mods (the Ali'i, Wetbox, and REO Grand, to be specific), I still find myself going back to my trusty old RN4081, especially when out in public. I like the more "traditional" look and feel of the RN4081, especially when I'm having a few beers. But the battery life has always been an issue for me, and I hated the constant refilling of the original atomizer/cartridge setup. When I switched to cartomizers, I pretty much found a suitable alternative that worked well for me when out in public for a few hours. When I initially read this review on the E-Lite, I thought it sounded like a good alternative to my RN4081 in that it provides the same look and convenience but possibly better battery performance. However, I decided to pass on it for one simple reason: it's waaaay more expensive.

I buy RN4081 cartos in 5-packs (usually 5 packs at a time) for about $8.95 a pack. Each 5-pack lasts me about a week (I tend to use my Ali'i at home and the RN4081 when away from home, which helps limit the number of cartos I burn through.) Plus, I can easily refill the cartos about 5-10 times before they start to die or taste a little burnt. The RN4081 battery doesn't last long, but I carry 3-4 with me, and I charge them when I get back home, so I never really find myself stuck for a vape.

Conversely, the E-Lite cartomizer 5-packs cost an astounding $24.99 each!!! You can do the math, but it seems to me that even if the batteries last twice as long as the RN4081, the cost difference of the cartos totally negates the convenience factor of longer battery life.

So while I am happy for anyone who finds an e-cig model that they like and that works for them in terms of satisfying the urge to smoke, it seems to me that there are better values out there than the E-Lite.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I am replying to this as it's on the first page of google search. I realize as a thread it has long since passed, but I feel a comment is important for people searching for independent reviews.

There are a growing number of "e-cigs" appearing on the market. Some are two-month internet efforts that will fail (at great cost to some potentially good products) and other will rise to the top of search engines and there will be many, many positive reviews.

The problem with e-cigs is that *for some people* almost anything can replace a real cigarette with surprisingly good results. Smokers with a low nicotine habit or that have habitually monitored their consumption to as little as possible will stop real cigarettes with the first product they try. I applaud them. They are the lucky ones.

However, a huge array of e-cigs that are advertised and promoted on the 'net with accompanying propaganda will either be a) useless as an alternative to smoking or b) very costly to the user.

As the market grows and the internet does it's job of disseminating information, the inferior products will die out and the genuine products will grow in popularity. However, along the way, certain companies will make millions and unsuspecting users will be duped into wasting money.

There are brands out there that supply products at a fair price, that make no exaggerated claims about "how many cigarettes", they genuinely attempt to make money by selling something which WORKS.

CAVEAT EMPTOR. Buyer Beware.

You want to try e-cigs? Go and try one, buy anything, it's only a few pounds. If it works for you, great!

If it doesn't work for you - ask... why? Along the way, try and find out if you are getting good value and if the claims you have swallowed are there to improve your life or take your money.

Very few ex-smokers use these type of products. Do you want to be the sort of person that $200 down the line celebrates "only smoking 3 a day" (and spending $10 a day on supplies) or do you want to say "I quit smoking" and knows that their addiction to the evil weed is finally under control.

Good luck to everyone.

ACM, I have to agree. After reading the initial review, I thought "wow! What a great e-cig!" HOWEVER, the price of cartos floored me, because I can also get a five-pack of cartomizers for less than $10 and they last me for several weeks--I refill and rotate, which seems to work. However, other kits very similar to this type of ecig sound interesting! Just purchased a Rivo so we'll see how that stands up..

Reikoku

Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Gotham
Just thought I share my experience with E-Lites.

My mother (bless her), bought me an E-Lite set and several refills as she was desperate to get me off the cancer sticks. I found them entirely lacklustre, and after a week or two of trying I was back on the analogs. Fast forward a year or so and I finally got clued in to vaping, got myself a eGo Twist and I'm entirely committed to vaping now. The difference is night and day.

However, I'm now in the unenviable position of having run out of cartos and clearomizers for my twist (bad planning, limited resources and experimentation are a recipe for disaster) and decided to try and refill the empty E-Lites cartos with my own vape juice as a last ditch attempt to avoid resorting to analogs again. I found they work better than when they were fresh. A lot better. I'd say 4 times the vapour production and vastly improved taste compared to a fresh E-Lite carto. Now it's obviously nowhere near my 510 with a stardust and vivi nova but it is serviceable.

It also has the added bonus of being very stealthy, which is off utmost importance if you want to vape in public while living in a country with strictly prohibits any kind of vaping capers. So all in all I've found it to be very useful in the end. I'm sure there are better and cheaper cig-a-like alternatives out there, and I'm not recommending the E-Lites in anyway, but if you've got some, hang on to them as they may just come in handy in future.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I am surprised I must say Reikoku.

I filled my e-lites cartos with various e-liquids and found they hardly worked at all. I also found some unused "e-tips" (yes, those that cost £3.99 each) and attached them to a fully charged battery that had been previously recharged 10-20 times at most....guess what? Almost nothing.

I've hung onto all my E-Lites kit....totally pointless other than to demonstrate what you get for your money (or not, as the case may be).

Try them again in a few months.....maybe using new-ish batteries is the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread