E-smoking could be worse than real cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
You could try looking up the ingediant of the e-liquid you smoke like I did. I did not find any cancer causing ingediants in the e-liquid I use.

You need to check all your food and medicine for the same ingrediants. If you brush your teeth you are inhaleing the vapors off your toothpaste, the same with everything you ingest, some of the vapors off of food makes it to our lungs.

Be sure to quit using perfume and colonge, unless you check the ingrediants. O! don't forget deordant.

We consume worse stuff everyday than is in e-liquid, some of the perservates in food are terrible, and the really worse is fast food or supermarket bakery goods.

dEFinitionofEPIC

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
NJ
You could try looking up the ingediant of the e-liquid you smoke like I did. I did not find any cancer causing ingediants in the e-liquid I use.

You need to check all your food and medicine for the same ingrediants. If you brush your teeth you are inhaleing the vapors off your toothpaste, the same with everything you ingest, some of the vapors off of food makes it to our lungs.

Be sure to quit using perfume and colonge, unless you check the ingrediants. O! don't forget deordant.

We consume worse stuff everyday than is in E-liquid, some of the perservates in food are terrible, and the really worse is fast food or supermarket bakery goods.

This mentality is a little extreme. Yes there are components of pretty much everything that are not the best for you.... nothing is pure. However, I don't believe there is anything wrong with paying extra special attention to something you intend to inhale chronically for an indefinite period of time.

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
It maybe extreme for me to looking up the ingrediants in the products and medicine I consume but, at least I know when I am using something that is bad for me. I also know if it is neither good nor bad for me.

One should make informed decisions instead of guessing or basing decisions on rumors.

I guess I am extreme, I happpy to be extreme.

Doostin

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I haven't met a smoker yet that I've talked to about these things that wound up being interested enough to go out and get one on their own. I do tell them my point of view and how it has helped me, and how my body feels better. I also tell them its not regulated yet and no testing has been done since they are so new. I haven't had one person argue that these are potentially worse that cigarettes.

I do have one funny story though. The building I work in also has a lot of military folk that work in it as well, and have become acquainted with a bunch of them after a while of day-to-day hall passings etc. Anyhow, there was this one health freak that would always preach about harmful effects of smoking and stuff. I'd always take it with a grain of salt, his preachings that is, because I was already aware of all the health risks.

First funny point, this guy jogs or cycles outdoors everyday. And there has been a lot of evidence lately (sorry I just woke up and don't want to dig through google finding the articles) suggesting how running in urban areas has plenty of lung cancer risks on its own.

Second funny point (well, sad at the same time), turns out the guy was actually a smoker a decade ago. Shortly before Christmas (when I was still using analogs), I saw him outside...smoking a cigarette! He must be going through some rough times though, because for a raging reformed smoker, I still see him outside smoking cigarettes to this day.

Good times, but I always get weird looks (especially from the hardcore military smokers) when I puff away on my black&brass Pilot Hybrid.

dijohn76

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Cascade,MT
Here is my thinking. While I agree testing for long term reactions is a good thing, cigarettes have been tested, "proven" bad yet are still for sale with a warning label. What they should do is continue to allow sales of e-cigs and e-liquid with a label that states "long term effects unknown, not yet FDA approved" while they are doing their testing. Since they are not supposed to be sold to anyone under 18, this allows rational, thinking adults to make the decision on whether or not to use.
In my opinion it is just common sense that something that vaporizers "food safe" ingredients is going to be safer than something that is known to have 4000 additives, including carcinogens.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
oh great I finally, after spending all this time reading, come out and say a few things and this is what I get in a response. Damn i hope this wasn't to lengthy for you.

Don't let it get to you Ozzy.

Yes, it *was* lengthy, but I don't think the "lengthiness" was the major problem. All the information was crammed into one massive paragraph, which will tend to overwhelm the reader.

As far as the response goes, I truly believe the person was trying to get the "lengthiness" issue across with a bit of humor. (I saw no insults there, so don't take it as such.) You're dealing with thousands of different personalities in this forum. We learn as we go along.

Good post OZ. Overlooking the lengthiness, the content was good.

jd

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
If theyre worried about products from China, they'd better stop buying foods and prescription medicines. Many foods and prescription meds have ingredients that are made in China. I dont know about Canada, but here in the U.S. the only time they have to label foods with country of origin is when it's a single ingredient food (such as produce). Foods with multiple ingredients are exempt from country of origin requirements because the ingredients often come from a variety of countries. (ie: the sugar in an item may be a mix of sugar from both the U.S. and Brazil)

You could label their concerns as tunnel vision.

Batteries - how are you going to get cancer from those? Are you eating them?

Maybe they give off a strange power.8-o I'm wondering if I should wear a foil hat when I vape.:thumbs:

Glycol - it's approved for use in inhalers. That doesnt mean it's safe, but it does mean that the govt considers it safe-enough.

As long as we don't refill from the radiator from our car.:rolleyes:

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Obviously long term effects of vaping will take many years to find out, if we started today. Whay I do not understand is why some reputable lab at a reputable facility (Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, Stanford, etc...) has done a study of the incredients in the ecig both before and after "atomization" and simply published a list.

Then stack that list up against the list of ingredients known to be in analogs and, voila.....you could make an accurate comparison.

THey would not even have to render an opinion, just publish the list...........

0ogier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Lancs ,UK
www.ecig-liquid.co.uk
I think that at the end of the day, It is down to personal preference.
We all know the long term effects of analogue smoking . -usually Death.

As to the long term effects of Ecig vaping - there cannot really be any actually known , as its all new. just as tobacco smoking was all those years ago. Yes conjecture and scare mongering will always be around.

All I can do at the moment ,is to look at what I know and have read, and make a decision on that.
As it stands now :
Over 4000 chemicals 34 of which are known carcinogens.
Against the handful (most of which are in the flavourings) of chemicals and only one of them a known Toxin and thats the one I want.

Just my opinion.

Regards

0ogier

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
I think there is a lot of blind optimism going on in this thread. I, like most of you, assume that vaping is healthier than smoking from a common sense perspective. However, with the small amount of research done there is no way to absolutely know for sure. The only substance in an e-cig that I am completely comfortable with is nicotine, because I know what that does.

From the post on propylene glycol:
"Chronic exposure: Lactic acidosis, stupor, and seizures have been reported following chronic ingestion.
Aggravation of Pre-existing conditions: Kidney disorders "

I don't know why only the "inhalation" was made bold. Inhalation may be safe but chronic exposure may not be. An let's face it, by replacing smoking with vaping we are signing up for chronic exposure to pg. This is a big unknown because I don't think anyone can be 100% positive that long term, chronic use of pg (or vg for that matter) is actually safe.

Besides this, getting juice from unknown Chinese sources is a little unsettling. Take out the Chinese--getting anything from any unknown source and inhaling chronically is a little unsettling.

Then there's the unknown ingredients. I wonder what's in that juice giving it that great flavor? Sure, vape tastes great but is that flavor good for your lungs when they are chronically exposed to it??? Who knows. I've yet to see a post where anyone even seems to know what goes into the flavorings of most online-bought juices.

So at the end of the day... we're really all just lab rats. No one can know for sure whether or not this is actually a good idea. We can all assume that its good for our own peace of mind. But deep down... no one knows for sure.

If your not happy and don't feel safe using Personal Vaporiser's then stop using them and go back to Smoking Cigarettes.

If you have problems with the Health Aspect of PV's then Post them in the Health & Medical Issues Section.

This Forum is Pro E-Cigs not Anti.
If you want to Post Anti E-Cig disinformation there are plenty of other Internet Forums where you will be welcome.

There are hundreds of pages on this Forum where all the Information you need is Posted.
Read Them.

The information is stored on Hard Drives made by Unknown Chinese Sources.

bribri

Moved On
Oct 13, 2008
San Mateo, CA.
The only possible way ecigs could be worse is if a batch of liquid became infected with something or too much nicotine was accidentally put in. There is a higher percent chance of that happening on ecigs then on analogs. Other then that it is simply impossible ecigs could be worse for you. ok lol I take that back.. because god knows we all vape ten times as much as we used to smoke... so i just dont know,

Last edited:

alextreme3

Feb 17, 2009
People tend to fear change and the unknown.

It is impossible to do a long-term study but hypothetically speaking, who do you think would live longer and healthier, a person smoking vaporettes for 50 years or a person smoking tobacco for 50 years?

I am 99% sure the vaper would survive much longer than the smoker because there are no tar or harmful carcinogens.

I like to give people this argument when they are skeptical about vaporettes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a vapor is safer than smoke.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
This thread and the "real" smokers reminds me this:

A man has cancer and a medicine is come up but in research status. This man will die for sure. Is it wrong to taste this medicine because it's status is in recearch?

Dont worry guys we will die later than them, and we will live better than them :D

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
This Forum is Pro E-Cigs not Anti.
If you want to Post Anti E-Cig disinformation there are plenty of other Internet Forums where you will be welcome.

wow..this is a BAD attitude!!

It is not known to me that it is (as you say) "forbidden" to post thoughts and concerns, and i think its 100% legit and GOOD to ask such questions.

I would NOT enjoy a forum where i know information is filtered and BIASED...then i could aswell join an "anti smoke activism" forum and read their nonsense.

You're just like them, just the other way around. Sorry.

There ARE unknowns. We dont know MANY things for sure. We still think and assume that e-cigs are 1000x healthier, thats why we enjoy them, thats why i am on this forum.

There is NOTHING wrong with asking such questions...and i do NOT think such questions have their own place in some "special" sub-forum where hardly anyone reads them. This would be ignorance at its best.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I'm saving money and I can smoke indoors if I really want to... why quit something I really enjoy??"

you know what another really good reason is?

Ecigs TASTE way better.

If you go into a smoker store, especially a store which carries cigars, there is always a VERY nice smell in there. However, anas often dont deliver the "good" flavor.....its like that most of the "good" flavor gets lost by actually burning off the tobacco.

With ecigs (assuming you have the right liquids!) its the first time where you get the actual "good" tobacco flavor, or whatever other flavors we have available. And NOT the bad ash/smoke burnt smell which has nothing to do with those "good" flavors.
Thats why i like e-cigs.

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
wow..this is a BAD attitude!!

There is NOTHING wrong with asking such questions...and i do NOT think such questions have their own place in some "special" sub-forum where hardly anyone reads them. This would be ignorance at its best.

Oh well, then we should get rid of the Health & Medical Issues Forum which addresses the "thoughts and concerns" of The Safety or not of the e-cig (which is what this thread is about) because you don't want "some "special" sub-forum where hardly anyone reads them" ? There's only about a years amount of knowledge and information in that forum posted by many intelligent people who have been researching this aspect of the e-cig. But hey, what the hell. Who wants to read that? If you had read that in the first place you would not be needing to ask the same question here.

Anything else you want changing ? Just tell us which sub forums you don't want to read and i'm sure the Mods will get rid of them for you.

calligal

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
California
You should Vap with but away from the smokers. Then go find the best looking person of the opposite sex. Have them sniff each of you and tell you who they would rather cuddle up next to while you look on with a smug smile and vap inside the building. ;) (note: This would be most effective on a rainy day.)

Haven't tests be done that say the e-cigs vapor in the air is less dangerous to others? If so then it is rather selfish to continue smoking just to save your own life while killing innocent people you care about. (Yeah, a bit harsh but we have all seen those commercials making us feel like crap because our cigarette smoke could be going into the apartment next door and into some little kids lungs.) but, (of course not everyone is innocent, just possibly that guy next door who doesn't recycle deserves it. :shock:)

Tho we don't have years of study to ensure us that vaping is healthier than smoking, historically lawsuits have ensued over the right to take an action which has not been approved of by the FDA or government but has been found to be life saving in pre tests.
Should we all just put down our e-cigs until 20 years of tests can be performed on a select few? If it is found to be healthier than we are basically screwed (of course we would have to still be alive to know that)
How about a scenario where 20 years later we learn (if still alive) that there are actual health benefits to be had from vaping! Wouldn't your smoker buds feel like asses then? (Wait....Dam it....they died of cancer just 2 years previously to the results being released. )

There is no map to follow on who will get cancer or when. Our genes, the air we breath, our lifestyles, exercise, mental attitude, food we eat all affect our odds of getting cancer. (Don't forget to throw the whole kismet angle into the mix.)

Lastly, never doubt your own superiority. Or at least never let it show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread