E-smoking could be worse than real cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
I used to be a network marketer. Didn't make much money but I did learn a few useful pointers concerning marketing a product...which is essentially what you do when you talk about or demonstrate your personal vaporizer.

Unless you're a health care professional, debating the health benefits (or lack thereof) of using e-cigarettes is a lost cause. It would be a lot more productive to simply share your personal experience of the product and suggest the listener do their own research to arrive at an informed decision.

That's how I got my wife to switch. I was very keen not to appear as if I was trying to sell her on the merits of vaping. I just told her what got me interested and shared with her how much healthier I felt after using it. After a few days she wanted to try it. Finally, I had to explain to her that I didn't have two e-cigs...that what she was using was by back up battery and my spare atomizer, and she really needed to give it back and purchase a kit of her own.

You don't need to get into a pissing contest with anyone concerning these things. Assist those who see the merits of vaping and allow all others to go their merry way.

nonamebrand

Feb 28, 2009
I used to be a network marketer. Didn't make much money but I did learn a few useful pointers concerning marketing a product...which is essentially what you do when you talk about or demonstrate your personal vaporizer.

Unless you're a health care professional, debating the health benefits (or lack thereof) of using e-cigarettes is a lost cause. It would be a lot more productive to simply share your personal experience of the product and suggest the listener do their own research to arrive at an informed decision.

That's how I got my wife to switch. I was very keen not to appear as if I was trying to sell her on the merits of vaping. I just told her what got me interested and shared with her how much healthier I felt after using it. After a few days she wanted to try it. Finally, I had to explain to her that I didn't have two e-cigs...that what she was using was by back up battery and my spare atomizer, and she really needed to give it back and purchase a kit of her own.

You don't need to get into a pissing contest with anyone concerning these things. Assist those who see the merits of vaping and allow all others to go their merry way.

I like your way of not coming off as preaching or forcing anything down anybody's throat. I also like how you share your truthful personal experience with non-vapers, instead of speculating. Not only can arguing about the health aspects of vaping be a lost cause, but also arguing with certain people can too.

Your last paragraph sort of opened my eyes and I think a lot of posters were trying to say the same thing.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China

Hey, Saboteur.

That's a really mature attitude, and I totally agree with you, if the goal is to convert others. But that's not my goal at all in threads like this.

I'm just trying to counter what I see as misunderstandings and misinformation. And one does not have to be a medical professional to quote them and provide citations to their work, which I am trying to do.

The "untested" accusation, and the public's oh-so-easily aroused fear of unfamiliar chemicals are potent weapons against us. That's virtually all that were needed in Australia and Canada.

Arguing over the safety or not of PG may or not be a winning argument in convincng smokers to switch to vaping, but it's necessary to counter the accusation that PG could be worse than smoke.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
I'm just trying to counter what I see as misunderstandings and misinformation. And one does not have to be a medical professional to quote them and provide citations to their work, which I am trying to do.

I can see that. Another point, which you could have mentioned, is that the "vaping community" is particularly well informed. There's no reason why a knowledgeable member shouldn't express his views if the opportunity presents itself. And online forums such as this are perfect venues for expressing and sharing ideas.

I guess it all depends on where you comfort level is. I think when the original question was posed, the member expressed discomfort when being confronted with the negativity of non-vapers. He expressly asked,

"How would you defend yourself against those speculations?"

The answer, of course is, you don't...unless you're knowledgeable enough to do so intelligently and you feel comfortable doing so.

I used a network marketing analogy earlier; allow me to use a "spirituality" analogy. Those of us who are interested in or practice spirituality rarely proselytize. Our intent, for the most part, is self mastery. Inevitably we encounter (or draw to us) people who become interested in our particular practice. We share (or not) our personal perspective, with the knowledge that people will accept or reject as their consciousness allows.

Most importantly, though, we understand that what we share may be new or foreign to the listener. We, in effect, become the representative or the "face" for that with which we speak. People may accept or reject our ideas, but whether they walk away with a positive experience/understanding or not depends on how we share whatever information or knowledge we have.

Like in network marketing, just because a person says "no" now doesn't mean they won't say "yes" later. We have to keep an open mind too, and understand that people accept things when they are ready, not when we want them to be ready. It all depends on where their consciousness is and the impression they receive the first time they're exposed to whatever it is we are trying to sell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread