Not open for further replies.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Hello!

I'm not the greatest fan of cartomizers in the world, but since what I dislike most about them was that burning filling, I tried the E2 cartomizers, and they work quite fine. I am however utterly confused about the various revisions of them, and the 2nd Edition Cartomizer thread is so long, I haven't been able to pick out the info I am looking for. It's the 510 cartos I wonder about.

The ones I have are dated 20100616 and have the ·o· hole arrangement. Same as in the pic in posting 1966 of the long thread, which I hereby shamelessly copy from there:
02082010240.jpg

I believe they already were not like the very first that were delivered, but that they are not the latest version, either. How can I tell those different versions apart?

And does anybody know whether we are approaching something like a final version, and what version eliquid.cn currently ships?

Thanks!

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
Hey thats my pic :D Thats ok u can use it.

If yours are dated 20100616 and have the two holes like in that photo, then you most likely have the revision after the 7-hole ones.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it went like this:

---- Release 1----
-Original 2 hole, wicking issue, burning issue
-Revised 7-hole, still wicking issue, more holes dont help
-Revised 2 hole, larger slits for the wick, but glue problem
-Revised 2 hole, solved glue problem, looser heating element, and 3.7v version added for KR808D-1 to solve burning (higher ohms)

---- Release 2----
Ceramic Cup to fix problem where the plastic cup deforms too easily. These should be available next week. If you are not in the US, wait a week or 2 before ordering, so you can be sure you will get the ceramic cup version.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
I found this video on Youtube today: YouTube - ‪Royal Smoker E2.wmv‬‎
It shows pretty nastily burned fiber. Is that a known problem that has been addressed?

Because otherwise I am very pleasantly surprised by those things; I always disliked cartos because of the burned filling issue, but that is not all that much of a problem with those, possibly not one at all, since well, non-burning wicking fibers are obviously easily available, they are after all inside every 510 atty.
And as cartos never really caught on in Germany because of that problem, I am considering organizing a co-op, but obviously, I'd like to get at least a release candidate, not an early beta, so to speak.

And those XLs: Are they in any other way than size different from the ordinary ones?

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
I found this video on Youtube today: YouTube - ‪Royal Smoker E2.wmv‬‎
It shows pretty nastily burned fiber. Is that a known problem that has been addressed?

Because otherwise I am very pleasantly surprised by those things; I always disliked cartos because of the burned filling issue, but that is not all that much of a problem with those, possibly not one at all, since well, non-burning wicking fibers are obviously easily available, they are after all inside every 510 atty.
And as cartos never really caught on in Germany because of that problem, I am considering organizing a co-op, but obviously, I'd like to get at least a release candidate, not an early beta, so to speak.

And those XLs: Are they in any other way than size different from the ordinary ones?

i dont think that is correct, thats wick and it doesnt burn, thats gunk on the wick, it cleans off back to white. the dark spot on the lower portion is the wick touching the wire, that washes off as well.

this isnt the only cartomizer or atomizer to use a wick in the coil so i dont think hes correct.

i tested the wick, you cant burn it with a lighter, and when you dry burn it that black mark goes away.

WiηgC¤mmαηdεя

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2009
Dieppe, NB
i dont think that is correct, thats wick and it doesnt burn, thats gunk on the wick, it cleans off back to white. the dark spot on the lower portion is the wick touching the wire, that washes off as well.

this isnt the only cartomizer or atomizer to use a wick in the coil so i dont think hes correct.

i tested the wick, you cant burn it with a lighter, and when you dry burn it that black mark goes away.

I can confirm this, had one come apart today while removing the inner cap to modify.
Completely removed the inner cup and separated the wick from the coil so I could show the wife by using a lighter that the wick didn't burn. Then did a dry burn to show that the black on the coil was "gunk" on one that I have been using awhile.
She is still nervous since its one I took the caps out of and replaced with a o-ring but is trying it. This is good since she stands a good chance of using the new ones once I can get them.:D

All the best, Happy Vaping,
wing.

WiηgC¤mmαηdεя

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2009
Dieppe, NB
Maybe he had a revision with a fiber that burned, who knows. I think some thorough testing is in order once they have a reasonably finished product; I hope I can get it then.

The revisions I received were both the earliest ones and thats what I tested the wick of so I am pretty sure that's not it.

Wing.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Maybe the wicking material isn’t all what it is cracked up to be? Maybe the manufacture relies on sub-contractors to make cartos and they use different wicking materials? Maybe he got a hold of some cheap Chinese Knock-offs? I dunno know.

But Something looks like it is burning. Either the wick material or something in the juice, VG/PG, Coloring, Flavoring, etc. But all the Nicrome wire people on the ECF tell me that an Atomizer can’t get hot enough to burn VG let alone wicking material. Confused?

Back to my original question. Can anyone tell from the vid what revision this carto seems to be?

WiηgC¤mmαηdεя

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2009
Dieppe, NB
Maybe the wicking material isn’t all what it is cracked up to be? Maybe the manufacture relies on sub-contractors to make cartos and they use different wicking materials? Maybe he got a hold of some cheap Chinese Knock-offs? I dunno know.

But Something looks like it is burning. Either the wick material or something in the juice, VG/PG, Coloring, Flavoring, etc. But all the Nicrome wire people on the ECF tell me that an Atomizer can’t get hot enough to burn VG let alone wicking material. Confused?

Back to my original question. Can anyone tell from the vid what revision this carto seems to be?

:2c:From watching the video the white cup has the wide slots, he called them grooves in the video, at the top which could make it one of the newer revisions. This is only a guess, I do not possess each revision of the cartos in the order they were produced to be able to state from a video which one he has.
As badkolo says in the next post there is no real way of knowing which revision this is for sure.

Last edited:

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
we dont know which version he has, just becuase the box says 6/16/2010 means nothing, they put new versions as well in old boxes.

He might have the tight coil version and he might not, i personally think thats gunk, when i dry burn one that new form the pack with no juice the wick doesnt burn, it turns color but so does any wick. o see gunk on normal atomizers as well after long periods of use

you could be 100% correct that maybe at one point they used different wicks and i cant argue otherwise since i dont know, but i have popped open enough form many revisions to say the wick looks the same in all of them.

the only things i see different form version to version(besides the slits and loose coil) is the glue, some have no glue, some have glue, some have glue that stinks.
the sealent is also different, there seems to be 2 different sealents as well.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
WiηgC¤mmαηdεя;1709855 said:
:2c:From watching the video the white cup has the wide slots, he called them grooves in the video, at the top which would make it one of the newer revisions.

Thanks Wing...

Just so I'm clear. The ceramic cup ones are the lastest rev. But those are just starting in production so they won't be out for a little while. Correct?

WiηgC¤mmαηdεя

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2009
Dieppe, NB
Thanks Wing...

Just so I'm clear. The ceramic cup ones are the lastest rev. But those are just starting in production so they won't be out for a little while. Correct?

Went to the RoyalSmokers website and it states that from 09.08.2010 it is ceramic.

you could put a comment when placing an order in case you want to be sure to get ceramic I suppose.

Wing.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
WiηgC¤mmαηdεя;1710378 said:
you could put a comment when placing an order in case you want to be sure to get ceramic I suppose.

Thanks… A member has been Very Kind to send me a couple of E2’s to check out.

I’m kinda playing catch up right now trying to figure out what design is supposed to be the most current.

From what I’ve seen in pics and from the posts of members, the new carto design is more of a Hybrid Atty. And I remember when this forum was a light with posts of the miracle cure for atty’s that developed bad tastes. Removing the wicking threads.

When I used atty’s, they All developed bad tastes that dry burning or peroxide or diet coke or anything couldn’t cured. But once I picked out the wicking threads, Bingo, no more bad tastes. So it didn’t take much to realize that the wicking threads were causing the problems.

Now I’m watching these E2 cartos being beta tested by the public. Seems like the same basic design / materials of an atty with the same wicking thread problems.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Thanks… A member has been Very Kind to send me a couple of E2’s to check out.

I’m kinda playing catch up right now trying to figure out what design is supposed to be the most current.

From what I’ve seen in pics and from the posts of members, the new carto design is more of a Hybrid Atty. And I remember when this forum was a light with posts of the miracle cure for atty’s that developed bad tastes. Removing the wicking threads.

When I used atty’s, they All developed bad tastes that dry burning or peroxide or diet coke or anything couldn’t cured. But once I picked out the wicking threads, Bingo, no more bad tastes. So it didn’t take much to realize that the wicking threads were causing the problems.

Now I’m watching these E2 cartos being beta tested by the public. Seems like the same basic design / materials of an atty with the same wicking thread problems.

I know exactly what your talking about, the wick that is in 510 atomizers under the bridge, and yes it causes a nasty burn taste that never goes away until you remove them or remove them before ever using the atty and yes its yukkkk.

that actually burns though, i tested that as well and this wick that im playing with form the e2 doesnt not seem to be the same as the wick from attys under the bridge. This e2 doesnt get a burned taste that never goes away, it responds totaly different then the wick your mentioning. ill try to do a video test for you so you can see the difference once friends leave.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I wouldn’t be so sure that just because the wick in these cartos “can’t burn” that they can’t cause bad tastes in other ways.

Chemical reaction or reductions might be a problem. How chemically stable is this wicking material? It would be nice to know what it is made of.

Also, what Exactly is the “gunk” everyone refers to. Where did it come from. Why is it there? What role does it play in atty’s tasting bad?

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
Speaking of 510 revisions, I just modded badkolo's 510, I posted a whole explanation in the PIF forum, but here it is:

I think the reason they're having to use the silly putty is for no reason other than to hold the wind tunnel up, and the little cup.

The metallic 3-hole permanent cap that I mentioned a long time ago would have solved a lot of these problems, but here is revision 3B and it works better than anything you've seen yet: (other than its rival #3A is WitchWay's mod that I made and posted in the pIF forum)

1zxxicz.jpg

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
510 wicks causing bad taste is not exactly standard behaviour, though. In fact, I have quite a few Joye 510s in use (only two died completely so far), and not a single one of them ever had that problem, nor is it exactly widely reported in German forums. I remember exactly one person claiming they had a bad taste in their atties that didn't go away.
So a decent wick doesn't worry me at all. Burnable material around the coil does, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread