Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
ZoiDman, so is the gunk that forms on the coil related to flavoring? That is something else I wonder if anyone is trying to research.

I’m not sure if we can draw a box around flavoring and say that it is the sole cause of “gunk” build up on a atomizer coil.

There are 6 basic components of e-juice.

PG
VG
Nicotine
Flavoring
Sweetener
Artificial Coloring

What I have observed is that some juices case gunk buildup much faster than others. The ones I have noticed to be the worst are Colored, Sweet, Heavily Flavored juice. The ones that I see the least in are Uncolored, mildly sweetened, flavored juices.

I believe the gunk is either compounds that have higher boiling points than PG,VG or nicotine. Hence they are not vaporized. Or they are compounds that “caramelize” in the presents of heat. Or a combination of both.

So is it the flavoring? The sweetener? Or perhaps it is the artificial coloring? Very difficult to say.

The only thing I am sure of is that Artificial coloring should be phased out from All e-juices. It serves no purpose and it’s potential health risks while vaping are unknown.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
yes zoid and v1john its the juice plain and simple.

i did my own test, all brown juices gunk up fast, there is somehting cooking that is beyond pg in those brown juices.
I tested some fruit sweet flavored juices, I tried the same exact flavoring juice but one they added color to and one i only added there flavoring, and the ones with coloring added also gunked up faster then a the clear juice with the sweet flavoring.

simpler juices and clearer juices are taking alot longer to gunk up.

Isnt that where the disposable part of the e2 comes in. when it gunks up real bad, chuck it away.(we clean it to extend its life of coarse)

when mine gets gunked, i dont have to clean it, i can pump up the voltage as well and that does the trick too until i actually clean it.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
but does that mean that pure glycerin (vg) and pure pg and peg don't gunk the coil any at all?

I think that my liquids from them so far have no coloring other than the nicotine,
so could it be nicotine that gunks it up?

I bought 3 PG with zero nicotine from them and they're all crystal clear.
I also bought 3 High-nic PEG form them, and they're medium color (and one of these is actually the same flavor juice as one of the clear zero-nic in PG).

Last edited:

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Artificial colouring should not be in any liquids. Some flavour components though are naturally coloured, there is no way of getting them into a liquid and still have a clear one.
And sweetener is basically part of the flavour; after all, next to all flavours consist of several components anyway.

Of course, if you DIY with baking flavours that contain colouring or sugars, you have a problem. Those are not exaclty neccessary components of liquid, though.

And on the other hand, depending on the quality of PG and VG, you could get quite a few things into your atty that you might not exactly want there.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
I just want a working carto, if they fix the issues and the ceramics solve the other issue and the glue issue is gone, then im set.

im ok with the wick, it doesnt burn, the gunking has happened on regualr atomizers as well so for me its a non issue, when it gunks up becuase of whatever juice im using i can dry burn it and clean it or throw it away.

I really hope they solved the issues so we can move forward.

I'm with you on this badkolo... followed your instructions, now my XL E2 cartos are working like the first day. A little Vid watching yes, a little 'modding' yes, a little burning off the gunk yes, but wow! Worth the effort. I don't care what it takes to get these perfected.. I'm hanging because they knock the socks off of traditional 510 attys when you get 'em right. When you can vape all day on an XL (2 mls of juice) carto and each vape is like dripping, then I'm with you. Due diligence is going to pay off with these Cartos big time... $ wise and otherwise. Thanks bad for assisting me fixing mine. :vapor: This is 'me' now thanks to you badkolo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread