E2..R-3 compared to R-4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carter100

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I've purchased many E2's supposedly R-4's. I'm wondering if the difference to R-3's can
be easily observed. I dismantled a Reg E2 and found:
Ceramic Pot..No filler..Inner ring with filler holes...( Wick blackened..Burnt ?)
However, at the Battery end, the Wicks were encased in something like cracked glass or
Plastic. Nothing like what I've seen on Royal Smokers or YouTube...
Any thoughts?

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
I've purchased many E2's supposedly R-4's. I'm wondering if the difference to R-3's can
be easily observed. I dismantled a Reg E2 and found:
Ceramic Pot..No filler..Inner ring with filler holes...( Wick blackened..Burnt ?)
However, at the Battery end, the Wicks were encased in something like cracked glass or
Plastic. Nothing like what I've seen on Royal Smokers or YouTube...
Any thoughts?

The r4 has a notched filler ring (r3.5 had these too), black shrink wrap around stem to cup.

The cracked glass/plastic, was this on the inside of the batt, on the base? If so that could be the mysterious hot glue/silicone that has appeared on some; shouldn't be there.

Carter100

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
The r4 has a notched filler ring (r3.5 had these too), black shrink wrap around stem to cup.

The cracked glass/plastic, was this on the inside of the batt, on the base? If so that could be the mysterious hot glue/silicone that has appeared on some; shouldn't be there.
The "cracked glass/plastic" is about pea sized, irregularly shaped, broken up...It's NOT Silicon, could
be hot glue??...It's at the bottom/battery end of the Carto...The wires go through it, as does the ends of the
Wicks....They're embeded in it.
Thanks Turbo

ScottB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Goin' Mobile... eeh ooh, beep beep!
Sorry to say… you (& your retailer) are victims of dumping. There are thousands of R-3.X still out there and they’ve been intermixed with recent “alleged-to-be-R4” shipments. You’ve got some. I know because I recently got some too.

If you cut yours open (as I did), I’m certain you’ll find that it is indeed silicone in the base. I’d also wager large sums of money that there is no shrink-tubing at the stem/cup connection. You won’t be able to confirm either of these things unless/until you cut ‘em open or remove the tube. I’d all but guarantee that juice capacity is significantly shy of 1ml because of the volume of sealant down there…

The stained wicks still show up randomly as well…

sigh…

Carter100

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sorry to say… you (& your retailer) are victims of dumping. There are thousands of R-3.X still out there and they’ve been intermixed with recent “alleged-to-be-R4” shipments. You’ve got some. I know because I recently got some too.

If you cut yours open (as I did), I’m certain you’ll find that it is indeed silicone in the base. I’d also wager large sums of money that there is no shrink-tubing at the stem/cup connection. You won’t be able to confirm either of these things unless/until you cut ‘em open or remove the tube. I’d all but guarantee that juice capacity is significantly shy of 1ml because of the volume of sealant down there…

The stained wicks still show up randomly as well…

sigh…
Thanks Scott...I think you're right on....No shrink wrap...Plus I consistently flood the
Cartos with less than 1ml or 1.5ml in XL's..."INVENTORY REDUCTION" Amen

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
The "cracked glass/plastic" is about pea sized, irregularly shaped, broken up...It's NOT Silicon, could
be hot glue??...It's at the bottom/battery end of the Carto...The wires go through it, as does the ends of the
Wicks....They're embeded in it.
Thanks Turbo

You are correct...it IS hot glue..and I too have seen some that they accidentally got the wick embedded in it before it cooled...the wick should not be in it at all. I dont know why people keep saying this is silicone because its not...the grommet the center tube runs thru is...but not that gob of stuff right on the inside of the connector.

ScottB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
No need to get your shorts twisted Nicotime… You’re correct – it is hot applied. But “hot glue” – like a scrapbooker or crafter would use has only accidental (& unreliable) sealing properties, while hot silicone has deliberate sealing properties.

Hot Melt Assembly Sealant - Dow Corning (100% silicone)

We can easily get past this… we can just call it “applied sealant” (as opposed to pre-fab silicone grommets/gaskets/carto condoms/cart covers/etc.) & eliminate the nomenclature issue.

Irrespective, true R-4’s do not have any “applied sealant” in them. None.
Embedded wicks is an ancillary problem, additionally proving that QC is a strange term to the assemblers.

These things are being sold as R-4’s – and the retailers are not directly at fault – the manufacturer & wholesaler(s) are probably discounting drastically while misrepresenting them – and because they have a near-perfect-market (we’re users/addicts), we buy them just the same…

Carter100

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
No need to get your shorts twisted Nicotime… You’re correct – it is hot applied. But “hot glue” – like a scrapbooker or crafter would use has only accidental (& unreliable) sealing properties, while hot silicone has deliberate sealing properties.

Hot Melt Assembly Sealant - Dow Corning (100% silicone)

We can easily get past this… we can just call it “applied sealant” (as opposed to pre-fab silicone grommets/gaskets/carto condoms/cart covers/etc.) & eliminate the nomenclature issue.

Irrespective, true R-4’s do not have any “applied sealant” in them. None.
Embedded wicks is an ancillary problem, additionally proving that QC is a strange term to the assemblers.

These things are being sold as R-4’s – and the retailers are not directly at fault – the manufacturer & wholesaler(s) are probably discounting drastically while misrepresenting them – and because they have a near-perfect-market (we’re users/addicts), we buy them just the same…

I agree Scott..When you think about the manufacturing process, don't the wicks get pushed down (into the juice
chamber of the carto) from the mouth end ?? How good is that? Wouldn't it be better for wicking for the wicks
to be firmly attached (enbedded in the sealent) , keeping it in place ?

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
My shorts are fine ScottB...sorry..didnt mean to come off that way...I am familiar with the hot melt silicone also...they used it where I worked...but without the facts who knows for sure....so “applied sealant” works for me too.

Carter...I would think the guts are all assembled and slid up into the tube in one piece while the "sealant" is still hot to seal the tube to the connector...it wouldnt make sense to push the wick up thru then the assembly..then push the wick back down in.....but then again who knows. I dont think it will make a difference either way...but for those of us that like to pull the wick up out and make sure its free of any "unidentified yellow substance" ..it could be a problem.

ScottB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
My shorts are fine ScottB...sorry..didnt mean to come off that way...

Cool, cool... meant no harm... I actually pre-edited to replace "panties in a bunch"... hehehehe...

Again we agree. The first thing I do is pull up the wicks, check for length & adjust if necessary. If they're an ugly color, I attempt to clean them with heat and/or alcohol. If the wicks are embedded in sealant, the unit gets cut open for further inspection & experimentation.

I finally gave up on US retailers & ordered from China... hopefully the usable percentage improves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread