Status
Not open for further replies.

itswhitty

Mar 14, 2010
Seattle
Hey all -- as the title implies, I haven't been vaping long. I got my KR808D-1 PCC starter kit three days ago and I love it. I was a little nervous about the whole cartomizer thing, but people aren't kidding when they say that it's a breeze to refill them. Anyway, I just wanted to give my two cents...

I heard about e-cigs on the news when they first came out. I thought it sounded like a nice idea and all, but I figured that in reality they would have little (if any) similarity to the actual experience of smoking and could only help you quit if you were already very determined (I imagined a Nicitrol inhaler with an LED and perhaps a tiny wisp of "smoke" for novelty). Now, I've never liked being a smoker. Don't get me wrong -- obviously I enjoyed smoking or I wouldn't have gone through so much effort and expense just to shorten my life span by a few years. Still, I've always hated the smell of cigarette smoke and shudder at the thought of nasty teeth. Most of all, however, most of my friends that smoked quit or moved away, and everyone close to me absolutely hated it. As a result, I spent the last couple years like some kind of nicotine ninja, sneaking around in the shadows trying to find enough time and ventilation to sneak a drag whenever I could. You'd think that would be enough motivation to quit, but I'm the sort that when I pick up a habit, I pick it up for good. I've tried patches and gum, but in the end I'd always give up after realizing that a golf ball sized wad of nicorette made my cigarette .... get all slobbery.

This is getting kind of long (good job if you've made it this far!), so I'll get to the point. I live in Seattle, and every time the city and/or state need to raise some revenue, they turn to tobacco. The state legislature is in the process of adding another $1 per pack cigarette tax, and that will mean that a cheap pack of cigarettes is going to be just under $8 in Seattle. I knew I wouldn't really quit, so if I didn't find something to replace it I was going to be shelling out well over $70 a week for something I didn't really want to do in the first place. I started doing research on this site and others and decided to go for it. It's only been 3 days, but much to my own amazement, I haven't even wanted to reach for a cigarette, despite the fact that I've got a half pack sitting in my car! I went into this planning to use the e-cig to wean myself off gradually, but it just hasn't been an issue. In fact, I'm actually not crazy about any of the flavors that I bought with my starter kit, but they still work, meaning it can only get better from here! I did smoke a bit less than half of a cigarette this morning because wasn't able to charge the e-cig's batteries last night, but I found it so nasty compared to vaping that I couldn't finish it, and that's after only two days of vaping flavors that I don't love. So yeah, despite being a true skeptic, e-cigs are so amazing that after giving them a shot, I am accidentally quitting real cigarettes.

If you made it this far, I commend you. If you made it this far and you're still wondering whether e-cigs can really be as great as everyone says and help you stop smoking, well, you're pretty thick if you can't figure out how I'd answer that.

hecknaw

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
north fla
Yep!! itswhitty,Stay close by dis here Forum fer da support dats ya need if'n ya can'ts find it at home!! The very reasons that I started E-Smok'n was to offset the the costs of a pack uf smokes!! din I said to myself...dis here will WORK and never bought another pack and would'nt if'n they were .10cents a pack!!....Goots luck to ya!!

rhoobarb

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2010
wirral uk
well done you yes it so much nicer and better you saying about not liking the smell i was the same i hatted myself for it but as you said is was the nicotine that was needed ive been vapeing for just over a month and it so much better and you will play around with flavors and you will find what you like all i can say is buying stuf can start to get out of hand as you wont ever think but its all good

itswhitty

Mar 14, 2010
Seattle
Thanks for the encouragement and agreement! I must have read all six sections of that guide you recommended half a dozen times in addition to a bunch of other posts and videos before I decided to go for it. I was certain that the whole e-cig thing was just sort of a novelty, so I kept looking for anything that would confirm my suspicions... Much to my surprise, no one said anything like that, and now I see why. I still can't get over how well the e-cig replaces analogs. I would've been pleased if it "took the edge off," so I'm overjoyed to find that vaping gives all the pleasure (more, actually) of smoking with virtually no drawbacks. The only downside is that I get a little paranoid that the person in the lane next to me is going to wonder what kind of crazy drug glows blue, but so far no one has called the cops, so it's all good.

roadkill46

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
Arizona
Yep!! itswhitty,Stay close by dis here Forum fer da support dats ya need if'n ya can'ts find it at home!! The very reasons that I started E-Smok'n was to offset the the costs of a pack uf smokes!! din I said to myself...dis here will WORK and never bought another pack and would'nt if'n they were .10cents a pack!!....Goots luck to ya!!

I'm really curious..why do you type like this? I understand the Ebonics thing, but when someone posts something serious, your typing comes off like a joke!??? You are probably trying to be funny but you are killing it. This is a public forum...not the 'hood'. If you have something relevant (that means significant..ooops..important) to say, please try to type it in the Kings English.. you get old really quick. Thanx in advance!

geekgirl

Mar 12, 2010
Central Cali
For giggles I asked my friend for a drag off of her cigarette today just to see what it was like. Its like night and day! Analogs just taste disgusting now! I wouldn't even be able to smoke a whole one if I wanted to. Its so weird and different, but I am super excited about it! I'm glad you seem to be having the same experience! It's pretty awesome huh?

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I'm really curious..why do you type like this? I understand the Ebonics thing, but when someone posts something serious, your typing comes off like a joke!??? You are probably trying to be funny but you are killing it. This is a public forum...not the 'hood'. If you have something relevant (that means significant..ooops..important) to say, please try to type it in the Kings English.. you get old really quick. Thanx in advance!

I disagree! Hecknaw sounds more Smokey Mountains Tennessee to me (and believe me, I've seen "the Hood"-residing as near as I do to Oakland) Besides: He's supportive of new members, not disruptive (as some people do tend to be) and contributes positively to the conversation. So he's got "flavah", doesn't make him less palatable to me.

hecknaw

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
north fla
Yep!! Don't node nuff'n bouts ebonics!! How bouts ya talk'n to da Moderator and let him or her node dat you don't like these kind uf folks on dis here Forum!! Or ya could'st juts scroll right pass the post wiff my avatar!!........Hecknaw

hecknaw

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
north fla
I disagree! Hecknaw sounds more Smokey Mountains Tennessee to me (and believe me, I've seen "the Hood"-residing as near as I do to Oakland) Besides: He's supportive of new members, not disruptive (as some people do tend to be) and contributes positively to the conversation. So he's got "flavah", doesn't make him less palatable to me.
Yep!! Rosa, thank you fir da support!! I had Roadkill casarole fer supper last night and it did'nt settle well.....Hecknaw

itswhitty

Mar 14, 2010
Seattle
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just give an update here... Over two weeks and going strong! I'm getting a small selection of ejuice in the mail tomorrow as well as some fancy electronics that I ordered awhile ago, and to be honest, I'm more excited about the juice! I'm already able to run without having to stop every half mile to wait for my lungs to stop screaming, and best of all I don't have to worry about being stinky anymore. I hate, hate, HATE going to the dentist, but I've got an appointment in two weeks and I'm almost looking forward to it just so I can tell her that I already quit when she starts in on the guilt trip. Of course, I'll have to make it clear that her lectures didn't help, lest she feel emboldened to keep up with the condescension. Including the purchase of the starter kit, I've spent $63 on e-cig supplies so far, but that sets me up for the next month at least (I found some very cheap juice) and is the same that I would have spent on analogs in less than a week.

This might be worthy of a new thread, but I have run in to one problem. I purchased a pack of cartomizers from a somewhat well known website and was disappointed to find out that although they claim to be compatible with all 808's except V4L, they failed to mention that they don't work with manual batteries. Basically, because manual bats don't let you draw air through them, you can't draw on them at all. As soon as I discovered the problem, the company "helpfully" offered to get me a refund "within two weeks of receiving the return" (shipping costs on me) OR graciously sell me a compatible battery for at the "discounted price" of just $10 plus crazy shipping (it's available elsewhere for a fraction of that). I was quite peeved, but I'm not going to raise a stink about $8, and I'm sure they expect that. After busting out the Dremel (the duct tape of power tools), I was able to modify the cartomizers to work with the standard manual battery, but not before destroying one of my two bats before figuring out what had to be done. If I had ignored a warning that it wouldn't work, I would take the blame, but they specifically said that it worked with ALL 808 bats except V4L. Turns out that by "all 808 bats" they meant "all but the ones that most people have."

Live and learn, I guess. It's their loss -- when I find a company I like, I support them vigorously, especially if I'm addicted to their products. They probably thought that it was okay to screw someone over on such a small purchase, but I can guarantee that that if they'd worked with me I would've spent much more than they expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread