• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Ebooks: Good? Bad? Free!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood

Did somebody mention my name?! :)

I'm around if anybody needs me. LOVE ebooks, and it has renewed my passion for reading as I can read on the way to work and back (I take the subway to work). I've read close to 90 books in the last year and have about 1100 more in my collection that are waiting for me to get to them.

All in due time. ;)

So JJ, you done the books I sent ya?

I know you sent me a long list but did you send all those!!!!!! :ohmy:

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
Just saw this thread and wanted to post my related comment regarding e-books. I haven't read any e-books I prefer paper for actually reading but when I am working I use my Ipod and listen to audiobooks instead. Librivox.org is a free audiobook database full of pre-1960s books of all kinds from Socrates to Wodehouse and all free. Not quite the same experience I guess but good if you want to get some literature in and still be able to focus on other things. Thanks for listening to my rant

Fudgey

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Oklahoma
The one's I sent you are from Dusty. :)

Awesome!

Im one of those mailman guys you people are always stalking all day long for your new gear. Im out walking the same route everyday and know it by heart so I raise my consciousness while I get the mail out.

Those are perfect for you! Thanks for the happiness you bring us vapers :D:laugh:

Free & Bargain Kindle Books | Pixel of Ink
Good place for free ebooks, the list changs daily

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood

yo vapo

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2011
Texas
So let's hear what's good and what's bad.
Do I correctly assume this means what [books] are good or bad as well as outlets?

Once Fudgey showed me how to do Kindle books on my iPad (why am I not surprised? There is an app for everything), I did a search for historical fiction freebies. One popped out called <i>The Haight</i> by Karin Bishop. (Or maybe it was at one of those "freebie of the day" places listed in this thread (Pixel of Ink), and I just got lucky; I don't remember. I see it's $9.99 at Amazon now, free for prime members). Being a "boomer" I figured this would be a fun light break from the many stories of old England and the adapted-to-prose Norse sagas I've been reading lately.

Here's the blurb:
San Francisco’s famous Haight-Ashbury, 1967: Grace [sic - her name is Gloria] Mackenzie, RN, deals with the flood of patients brought to the Haight-Ashbury Free Clinic during The Summer of Love. She’s a veteran of life in the Haight, living with several women and FreeBear, their landlord and lover, until that life is shaken by a bleeding young boy appearing in the clinic.

It’s a time of new life, of new concepts, of new music; a time of transition. Grace must deal with dangerous street drugs, gender identity, a murderous cabal, and future epidemics—the new world displacing the old—while trying to stay true to the concept of the hippie lifestyle.

The Haight is a time capsule, historically and socially accurate, with famous musicians mingling with unknown street people as tourists stare while the world changes.
/blurb

Ethically, I can't bring myself to spoil this book by letting on what it turned out to be vs. what my expectations were. After reading the book I have too much respect for the author to do that. But let's say had I known what its story was to be I doubt I would have downloaded it, though it was free.

I'm very glad I was "duped" into reading The Haight though; it was an outstanding story and a wild ride. I read it yesterday. I couldn't put it down; it was that good. And no, I am not turning in my man card.

I only wish the book had been longer. For free, who can .....? Not me, I assure you. But at 10 bux for an ebook of ~200 pages I might kick a little, wanting a book of 300 pages or more. To me 10 dollars for an ebook is pricey, though I have paid that much before. That's just me; YMMV. I hope it can still be found somewhere free or at a reduced rate; I will post here if I find such. Personally I think this book should be a loss leader, and as such stay free or at least very cheap. I liked the book so much I emailed the author. If she writes back I think I'll mention that.

Last edited:

Fudgey

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Oklahoma
Oh talked to son and I got my cord!!!!

Fudgey that one you sent is protected so it won't load.

Oh well I'm still happy, I got my cord!!!

Darn.......maybe Dusty can help on that one. When I connect my Kinndle to the computer and open the book folder non of them have names...just letters and number :confused: The one I sent you came off of my Amazon archive.

I love my ereader. Its a sony that's a few years old now. But I've only bought maybe 4 books total and the rest I just borrow from the library. I think its a great way to read and my book shelve is thanking me. Its poor shelve are all curving from the weight of all the books we already have.

My DH is grateful that we won't have to get another bookcase for the storage room........LOL

Glad to help out yo vapo :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread