Ecig bill passes Senate in Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxc0175

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Lol I have no idea, I don't want to risk "suicidal thoughts or actions" and the nicotine gum makes me ill :(

I have no problem with the "not selling to minors"-
Anything with nicotine doesn't need to be sold to people under 18.
But if it's a state sales tax can't people just buy stuff from (for example) texas and have them ship it to OK?
Or am I wrong.
Either way it really sucks for OK vendors :(

Why does it suck for them? They only have to COLLECT sales tax!

jxc0175

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, it does... And folk are almost always willing to pay that 'small tax'... Which leads to another 'small tax', or a 'user fee', or a whatever... As long as it's 'reasonable'... :(

I'm more than willing to pay a sales tax, but I don't think we should have to pay a sin/luxury tax.

White0head

Moved On
Mar 9, 2013
ca
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Moved On

jxc0175

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I feel like I'm being punished for giving up my bad habit.
05.jpg

My wife is a CPA and I'm a finance major. You're not being punished. Everyone has to pay tax. Like I said, it's the sin/luxury tax that we shouldn't have to pay.

DJ RyckRak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in New England
Well I am corrected again, my legalese is not so good. The tax is 5 cents per "vapor product unit", defined on another page as "up to and including .03 ounces". I'm not in a math mood this late at night, but there's going to be quite a few vapor product units in a gallon.

To clarfiy:
"Vapor products. Upon all vapor products, the tax shall be
five cents ($0.05) per vapor product unit and a proportionate tax at
the like rate on all fractional parts of a vapor product unit in
excess of a single vapor product unit. At no time shall the rate
levied upon a vapor product unit exceed one-tenth (0.10) the rate of
tax imposed on a pack of cigarettes in this state"

Hope this clears up any confusion :blink:

Confusion......?......
Who ever came up with this 'formula'...should be tared and feathered !!!

Legalese = confusion and trickery.
Fractional math = trickery.

bunnomatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Conway,SC
The only thing is once it starts it only gets worse. Tax will only rise. Hopefully other states dont follow suit.

If they get away with it in one State other States notice and they jump on the band wagon too. Then the Feds notice and they don't want to miss out on screwing the people too so they add another tax. When everybody has been able to tax anything associated with e-cigs it will magically become a great product imho.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Please note that the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association, and other groups that urged the FDA to ban e-cigarette sales are currently lobbying *against* this bill.

Why? Because they don't want a token 5 cent tax on e-cigarettes. They want the legislature to enact a tax on e-cigarettes that would make them cost the same or more than a pack of cigarettes.

Additionally, currently Oklahoma's definition of "tobacco product" is broad enough that the ACS, ALA, etc. is likely lobbying the Oklahoma Tax Commission to declare that e-cigarettes are a "tobacco product" subject to taxation at the same level of products like smokeless tobacco. Imposing a small, token tax on e-cigarette sales would ensure that this could not happen.

There are some ambiguities in this bill that need to be cleared up, but I would hesitate to fight the 5 cent tax.

Also note that both houses of the Oklahoma Legislature are 75% Republican, so if this tax was enacted, raising it would be far, far, far more difficult than if a similar tax was imposed in New York or California.

samplekasi

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
OKlahoma
The state of OKlahoma spends Millions on public service ads about quitting smoking. They also have a program that is funded with state money, that will send you 2 weeks worth of gum, lozenges, or patches. So how can they tax me on my choice of smoking cessation products and more if you need them, they also employee counselors to call you constantly and ask how you are doing with it. I have tried 3 different types in my 25 year history one (chantix) just before trying vaping. Vaping is all that has worked for me, I already pay taxes on all my purchases (all so far have been local brick and mortars) I just dont get it!!!:blink:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread