Travel and Vaping Ecig for carryon on air plane flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unchained

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Noreast
I flew the weekend before thanksgiving and had no problem. I was not sure what to do either being that I had not yet tried it. I use an Ego not sure what you use. Some mods I am sure would draw suspicion. I put xtra juice, batts, chargers etc. in a small box in checked luggage and kept 1 ego setup in my pocket with small juice bottle. Went through security dropped it in the bucket with my phone and other stuff and picked it up on the other side no questions asked. Even if they took it I still had my other setups in my checked luggage. I did put my xtra juice into a ziplock because I wasn't sure if it might leak under pressure but it didn't seem to. Good luck

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
I flew from the East Coast to LAX about a week ago. I had my PCC, 2 batteries, an atty, and a carto in my carryon (I use the 510 model). Some people might tell you to take everything apart and put it in a plastic baggie (liquids in 1 bag, batteries and attys/cartos in another).. I just had mine in the PCC. No questions.

As for the liquid, limit your selection to what you'll want to use on the plane/in the airport, put it in a plastic bag, and put that in the plastic bin during the screening. You should be fine. Check the "Travel" section of the General e-cig discussion for more detailed info.. But generally, bring your hardware in your carry-on, stuff in checked baggage can "go missing." I'd limit your liquids though, as that's a more touchy subject. I didn't have any issues though.

Good luck :)

iamjn

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2010
West Michigan
I flew last week Michigan to Calgary and back. Had my vGo in my carry on, as well as a couple cartos, atty/cartridge assembly, 2 batteries, and full 10ml liquid bottle (not in plastic bag). Didn't have even the slightest hint of trouble either way. As Poker Face said, each airport is different, and not all TSA agents are equal, but you shouldn't have any problem. I had a plastic bag with me, just in case of a problem with the liquid (figured I'd claim ignorance or accident), but it really was a total non-issue.

Vaped on the plane (quietly, as I really didn't feel up to having a discussion with anyone about what it is, why it's ok, etc), and in the airport openly. No issues at all. It went exactly how it should go (IMO).

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I've flown with e-cigs without major problems.

If you use a proprietary e-cig (510, eGo, Kr8, etc - any standard model), then I just throw them in my purse and put my juice bottles in with the rest of my liquids in the 1 quart bag. I was stopped once and asked what my eGo was, but they let me pass on through once I told them, eGo and all. Just took a minute.

If you have a mod, since they are weird shapes, another member suggest dissembling it and packing it with your computer if you're taking one - that way it looks like some weird tech toy. But others travel with them assembled and don't have problems.

Just don't stick 'em in your checked bag if you have one. People have lost e-cigs that way. If it's in your carry-on, at least you can tell them what it is if they ask.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I've had TSA pull me out of the line and give me the swab treatment because of my Prodigy V2. The initial screener was suspicious, but the next guy up the chain knew what it was. They still had to bomb swab me, but it only took about three minutes and I was on my way. The issue with these things is that they're electronic and not every screener has seen one. My guess is that the worst case scenario would be that you get a closer screening (they went through everything in my bag too) and have to assemble it and show them how it works. I've never heard of anyone having one confiscated.

Klute

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Colorado Springs
I am a frequent flyer and never had a issue with my ego and misc. I do pull them out and place them in a bin and travel with small 5ml bottles in keep them in my quart size ziplock bag. Be careful if you are flying on a small regional jet and they check your bag in valet and tag it. You should not have batteries in these bags. Keep them in your carry bags. Once I go through security I typically pull out my ejuices and ego and place them in my laptop bag / portable office... :)

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
I flew last week Michigan to Calgary and back. Had my vGo in my carry on, as well as a couple cartos, atty/cartridge assembly, 2 batteries, and full 10ml liquid bottle (not in plastic bag). Didn't have even the slightest hint of trouble either way. As Poker Face said, each airport is different, and not all TSA agents are equal, but you shouldn't have any problem. I had a plastic bag with me, just in case of a problem with the liquid (figured I'd claim ignorance or accident), but it really was a total non-issue.

Vaped on the plane (quietly, as I really didn't feel up to having a discussion with anyone about what it is, why it's ok, etc), and in the airport openly. No issues at all. It went exactly how it should go (IMO).

This was comforting for me to read. I'm flying from Detroit to Portland this summer. First time flying since 1974! I will be on the Oregon coast for a week and don't think I can go that long without vaping. I really want to take my GLV or my Buzz. Maybe this would be a good excuse to get an Infinity. They're smaller.

Kahuna

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
San Francisco
they tend to be a bit more inquisitive on international flights than domestic. As a habit I keep my 14500 batts and attys with my camera, my box mods with my computer and juice with my travel sized personal items. The only problem i had was one they said I had too many batteries, so I had to toss out a few disposable AAs.

Shark_Bait

Oct 2, 2010
Michigan
Just completed a couple of trips. One to Fort Lauderdale and one to Cancun/Mexico, both from Detroit. Took my Joye Ego and 5 ml bottle of juice through security without any questions asked for both trips. Did notice them taking a long look at it while going through XRay on all four legs of the flights but nothing said. I Vaped all through the airports and stealth vaped while in my seat, vaped in the bathroom just cause I could. :) WOW!!!! How much more pleasant Air Travel is when you're not craving that cigarette. Luggage Carousel quit working for 20 minutes returning from Cancun and my GF commented how happy she was that I gave up smoking for the PV. Something like that would've set me off BIG Time back in my smoking days.

REGGAEGEEK

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2010
West Georgia
I fly 2-3 times a month for work out of Orlando Int. and only use carry on bags, no checked baggage. I have only had 2 issues.
First was the time i tried to carry my SB in my computer bag. They pulled it out and asked what it was and i said it was a battery power supply for some test equipment. Luckily i had taken the atomizer off and stored it seperately. They let it thru.

Second time was recently and i took my brand new Boge Leo with me 'cause i was still testing it. They pulled it out and popped off the cap/cover to reveal the atty and mouthpiece. Busted! I told him it was a Personal Vaporizer to which he replied "electronic cigarettes are not allowed". I didn't argue (futile anyway) so was forced to use their UPS service to mail it back to myself which took almost a month to get back to me (from Orlando to Orlando ?!? , go figure)

From this i learned never to leave any type of mouthpiece on them and have had no problems.

I take 2 or 3 30ml bottles of juice with me and just put them into the 1qt bag and put them into a tray. No problems with them at all so far.

On the planes.
If you are seen using one, you will be told (not asked) to stop. If you argue, and/or refuse you will be met by airport security when you deplane (unless their is a marshall on the flight and you may be met immediately). I tried using one openly on a Delta flight a little over a year ago and was given those as my alternatives. I didn't test to see if they were really serious and just put it away but i can tell you the Flight attendant was aware of what it was and trained on the response. I did ask her why they had already adopted that policy and she said it was becuase other passengers perceived it as smoke and that caused issues.... (don't know what kind of issues she meant and didn't push it).

I now use a plain old Ego (650mAh) with a standard 510 atty during the flights in the Restroom or very discreetly when seated and exhale into a cup of hot coffee. Use 100% PG juice to minimize plumes of vapor and hold your breath a few secs before xhale. Haven't had one problem in over a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread