Travel and Vaping Ecig for carryon on air plane flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
I travel a lot, in and out of the DC area. I've never had a major issue with a variety of PVs... one trip I had twenty 510 batteries, 50ml of juice, chargers... you name it, I had it! I carried them all in my breifcase which I send through the xray machine... no issues at all.

When I carry a larger device, like a ProVape or a Buzz... I have those little laser pointer heads that Totally Wicked sells... like 10 bucks for a kit which is one laser head and one LED flashlight head... pop those babies on there and you are now carrying a laser pointer and a flashlight...

Attys, juice, Cartos... they have never been a problem except once when the case was opened to see what they were... I told them exactly what they were, and the TSA inspector said he smoked and was thinking about getting one... I told him about several resources including this forum.

I would NEVER put anything that may require explanation in my checked luggage, PV or otherwise. You will probably have no problem, but its always better to err on the side of being able to talk your way through it, if they flat-out don't know what they're looking at.

REGGAEGEEK

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2010
West Georgia
When I carry a larger device, like a ProVape or a Buzz... I have those little laser pointer heads that Totally Wicked sells... like 10 bucks for a kit which is one laser head and one LED flashlight head... pop those babies on there and you are now carrying a laser pointer and a flashlight...

I fly for work about 3 times a month and like i said, only the one issue... but i was wondering if someone made like a flashlight head that would fit a 510 mod. I never use TW (just can't stand that goofy logo they put on everything...) but will have to check them out for that. Great idea! thanks for posting that.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
I fly for work about 3 times a month and like i said, only the one issue... but i was wondering if someone made like a flashlight head that would fit a 510 mod. I never use TW (just can't stand that goofy logo they put on everything...) but will have to check them out for that. Great idea! thanks for posting that.

They somehow managed to NOT put the goofy logo on the flashlight heads... I'm thankful for that!

TITAN/TORNADO-Lazer Pointer and Pen Light Adaptors

TEN BUCKS... it's even a bargain...if you purchase in January... "NY2011" gets 20% off.

Actually, PM me your address... I have spares... I'll send you a set.

TonsO>apoR

Feb 1, 2011
Texas
I have traveled from Houston to Newark then Scotland, and only had a small issue in IAH when I got my first PV. I had it in the clasp case disassembled of course with, 3 batteries, 2 Atty's, 1 Mouth peice. I of course did place 2 - 3ml bottles in with my toothpaste and stuff in the ziplock. I had the Case in my computer bag and they had to search my bag. When they pulled it out and opened it the guy knew what it was but i guess wanted to see if i would lie. He asked me what it is, I told him and Ecig. He asked where I got it and I told him. He then said I bought Mine at ValueValue.com and love it. So what I have done from that point on is place the case with the 901 into the bin with my belt and other things and it goes through just fine.

I have also been recently traveling from Houston to Africa, with no issues at all.

However I dont think I would push the issue by vaping in my seat. Especially how touchy security is nowadays. Also There are plenty of people in this world that are not happy unless they are complaining about something. So why fuel their fire for them. I go into the RR and then I have no one asking me what it is, and no one tatle telling because they don't like something.

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
Last week I completed a round trip between New York and Nashville. I had separated my liquids into my quart baggie but then forgot to take it out of my purse - TSA at LaGuardia didn't bat an eye. (Delta)

At Nashville my computer backpack attracted attention (United) - I had four cartomizers in a Krazy Glue holder, but it was apparently too close to my elderly noise-canceling headphones in their own carry-case. Apparently the combination of all the headset wiring looked suspicious next to those four metal tubes... They opened my headphone case to look at all the wires, and then asked what the cartos were. I said they were cartridges for e-cigs and the TSA agent nodded, that was it.

Remember, lithium-ion batteries are no longer allowed in checked luggage. You're supposed to take ALL li-ion batteries as carry-on now.

Just in case, I had a padded SASE mailer with extra bubble-pack in my computer bag. A wise precaution IMO - you never know. I expected NY airports would be stricter than elsewhere - but not my experience this trip.

Oh, and yes I vaped (a bit) very discreetly on both planes, at my seat. But no one was sitting next to me, and I kept my 510 or eGo inside my sleeve and used my long hair to block others' view of my face. Used a high-PG, no-odor juice and held it so there was no visible exhale. I did not want any hassles and I didn't get any.

OMG!

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
I've been flying all over for the last three weeks... not one problem. I had by two kr808's in my purse, my PT in the laptop bag and the juice in my checked baggage.

I was too shy to vape in public but did so in the restroom stalls by blowing the vapor down the front collar of my t-shirt. :)

So, you can vape in the restrooms on the plane and it won't set off any alarms??? YAY!!

TonsO>apoR

Feb 1, 2011
Texas
I've been flying all over for the last three weeks... not one problem. I had by two kr808's in my purse, my PT in the laptop bag and the juice in my checked baggage.

I was too shy to vape in public but did so in the restroom stalls by blowing the vapor down the front collar of my t-shirt. :)

So, you can vape in the restrooms on the plane and it won't set off any alarms??? YAY!!

It would probly be a good Idea to keep the vapor to a minimum. I am not quit sure how sensitive the detectors are on planes but I just take smaller hits than usual and blow it down to the floor slowly.

EDIT: depending on how long the flight is. I make a bit stronger juice than than usual. This keeps me from having to take frequent trips to the RR. This way it helps with the craving to vape a little longer. I typaclly vape around 18 to 20mg, I make 24 to 26mg to take on the plane.

Not sure if it is just mind over matter but it seems to help.

Last edited:

Kufu Kahn

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2011
Washington State
I recently traveled between Seattle and LAX with two full kits, Ego and an analog look alike with a 30 ml. bottle of juice. I vaped in the airport and on the plane, no one noticed. I think the TSA people were aware of what the devices were or didn't care because there were no questions asked. I put the liquids in a bag as requested and the kits were in my carry on briefcase while a single eGo was in my shirt pocket except while placed in the xray tray with other personal belongings.

Made the trip much more enjoyable.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I've never had any problems carrying eGos, box mods or tube mods. One cautionary note that I will relate is not to reassemble a bottom feeder mod before getting on the plane. I take the bottle out and cap it so that I can put it in the baggie to go through the scanner. On my last flight, I reassembled it to vape before the flight and left it that way getting on the plane. Guess what higher pressure in the bottle and lower pressure on the plane results in!

stacym

Aug 20, 2010
Elkton, MD
I've traveled extensively with my Ego in my purse and my e-juice in the ziploc with my other liquids. No problems domestically or internationally - even returning to the US from the Middle East. I've also vaped in the bathroom with no problem... But anyone who thinks it's appropriate to vape openly on a plane is crazy in my opinion. Other passengers see smoke - how are they to know it's vapor from your e-cig and harmless? My guess is 99.5% of the population equate smoke with fire - and fire on a plane is scary. Is it really necessary to vape in your seat? Is it worth the hassle and angst you might cause for other passengers?

TonsO>apoR

Feb 1, 2011
Texas
I've traveled extensively with my Ego in my purse and my e-juice in the ziploc with my other liquids. No problems domestically or internationally - even returning to the US from the Middle East. I've also vaped in the bathroom with no problem... But anyone who thinks it's appropriate to vape openly on a plane is crazy in my opinion. Other passengers see smoke - how are they to know it's vapor from your e-cig and harmless? My guess is 99.5% of the population equate smoke with fire - and fire on a plane is scary. Is it really necessary to vape in your seat? Is it worth the hassle and angst you might cause for other passengers?

That being the main reason I do not vape at my seat, But also it only takes 1 bad apple to spoil the bunch. If someone is vaping in thier seat and another passegnger starts complaining who's to say the TSA would consider restricting the PV/ecig from being carried in our carry luggage. So please those that think what the hell I was told it is OK!!! STOP and THINK, is it really neccassary to push the envelope. If you want to vape in your seat ask the flight attendents. I am pretty sure they would give you thier answer very quickly about it. Thus if the answer is no then uh oh I gotta go PP or would it be PV!!!
I personally do not vape inside the airport, just because the ecig companies say you can smoke these anywhere, I highly doubt they are experts of all the rules and policies of every resturaunt, airport, supermarket, fastfood, retail shop, and any business you can think of. I know that if I were to go into the office of the company that I work for with PV in mouth vaping away I would be in HR in a heartbeat explaining WTH.

JudgeVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
D.C./Maryland
I vape in a stall in airport bathrooms when I need a fix. On the plane, I vape in the lav, blowing down the vacuum sink drain. I also use a nice-smelling juice (this past trip BWB Blueberry) so I don't leave the lav smelling like tobacco.

I certainly question the wisdom of vaping openly inside an airport and I most definitely concur with the two posters above me about vaping in the open on a plane. Don't do it.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
It's funny I fly often and carry a backpack loaded with vaping gear, it has so much stuff in it it's crazy, I take all the batts and atty's and PV's and chargers and separate everything, they usually check my bag but never have I had a problem accept for loosing a 20 yr old pair of needle nose pliers that I've had forever because they where a half inch over the 6" max they can be so Mr TSA agent took them, I pleaded with him but he wouldn't budge, other than that no problem carrying all my gear with me, that includes all my juice, in a zip lock baggie, max 4oz in a bottle but usually have 1oz Bottles for travel.

I vape in the bathroom on the plane on a long flight and never have had an issue and I have stealth vaped in the airport walking around, but never sitting in my seat or where someone could make an issue, I believe you need to treat this carefully and be wise about where your vaping and go into stealth mode 4 sure.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread