Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

misterME

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
Charleston, SC - USA
How about NAMBLA? :p

(Sorry...I'm a big The Daily Show with Jon Stewart fan.)

I don't really care much what the name is (though CASA and CAFTA both sound nice and officious). All I know is that I've been doing this for about a month and feel so much better, and can't imagine my 510 becoming illegal (or even difficult to resupply), so I'll throw in my support however I can. It can't be too much in the way of funds, as I don't have much of those these days. But whatever I can do.

So, count me in.

Skeezix

Jul 1, 2009
I have to get to work, but perhaps we need something more along the lines of:
OUV (Organization of United Vapers)
PVUO (Personal Vaporizer Organization)
OCUPV (Organization for the Continued Use of Personal Vaporizers).

Let's get some ideas rolling. I want to file this today if at all possible.

Back to work.
I tuned in kinda late but Has anyone offered up the acronym:

NOVA National Orginization of vaping Aficionados?

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Webby, I'm an underemployed network technician/webmaster/support engineer (don't have my MSCE tho) and I'm willing to help wherever I can.

Forgive me for coming off as MS-pseuodo-elite in any way. My background is as a MCSD company, but understand that's just what pays the bills. The majority of my staff hate Microsoft and preach open source to me at our weekly meetings. It's the fact that I listen and that we aren't dedicated to any solution that makes us able to turn on a dime.

It's also why I am so convinced that a multi-based IT approach is key to keeping the infrastructure safe. As an ISP owner who deals daily with spam, identitity theft and hackers - I make no apologies for being paranoid in setting up a mirrored network that can't be shut down. I WELCOME any MS/Linux/Unix/ASP/PHP/NET/LMNOPQRSTUV programmers (or those just wanting to help!) to join us. Whatever your skill, it is appreciated.

PM me or email admin@weboperations.net

The evolvement of a users movement is going to happen. Eric's seed, coupled by the obvious interest and support for this idea, mean it IS going to happen. How any "users group" evolves is up to to all of us.

Make no mistake, your commitments now provide credence that a users group is needed. Your continued support once a user's organization is created will define just how strong e-cigarette users resolve actually is, and how seriously we need to be be considered as voting citizens.

eric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
By the time you all figure out what to call yourselves, you are all going to look up and see "ecigs officially banned in the usa" all over the tv,

any members in Washington D.C.?

I dunno dude. We need something, and we need it now. :(

I stated in an earlier post, we can be recognized as and form a legitimate NPO without legal formality. I am only applying for legal formality for the sake of legal formality.

We already exist as we are. We just need a name.

The application is a big step, but it is not quintessential.

We just need a Board and a website.

tfbncc

Jul 13, 2009
I am a very new vaper and member of this community. When I decided to switch from analogs to electronics for the cost savings, I was first elated not only by spending less money, but by how quickly my health improved. Only to have those feelings dashed by the attacks of ASH and the FDA and a threatened ban. We've seen their methods, and resulting legislation at the city and state level so far. We absolutely need an advocate organization that will try to counter and educate the public, and by extension, the governing bodies that make the legislation. Regardless of the final name that is picked, we need to move reasonably fast, and flood the public market with educational material, interviews, soundbites, whatever it takes.

One of the major points that I see being overlooked is that we MUST disassociate ourselves from "smoking". We cannot be bundled into anti-smoking regulations regardless if the product is declared safe or not. This is a brand new hobby (habit) that just happens to remotely resemble smoking. Traditional smoking laws should not be used to regulate our community.

OK, that's my two cents worth of ranting, and you can count me in for whatever small amount I can afford.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
If memebers from outside the USA can be part of this. Being from Canada and I really like CASA, how about ICASA for International Consumer Advocates for Smokeless Alternatives.

Don't know that I have much to offer but count me in for a small monetary donation at least.

You're a user, nojoyet.

That all that matters and what makes your opinion ever bit as important as anyone elses.

Once we can all get beyond a name, color scheme and drapes selection... hopefully direction will turn to a charter, NPO, mission statement, elected officers, event calendar, searchable database of articles, press releases, public meetings, accounting, public donations, legal representation and all those other silly things that will make the public take us seriously.

C'mon everyone. I hate to rain on the fun, creative process that makes forming a club "cool", but we are coming into this game pretty late. Establishing interest has been done. We have to start moving quickly toward forming the basis of being a cohesive group.

A poll will be posted Monday based on any and all names proposed in this thread (up until Sunday at midnight) Put on your thinking caps and let's come up with anything that is worth considering.

We all have too much to lose to sit on the sidelines, waxing philosophical and turtle waxing our genetalia while debating "the perfect name" all the while Judge Leon's decision is being typed up by first year law students.

Unless you all want to download the "Dummies Guide to DIY Liquid" and vape via homemade gadgets made from Radio Shack and Home Depot parts, we had better get on the stick.

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
As far as the name, I think it's best to keep anything pertinent to tobacco or cigarettes out. It will only throw up flags for the anti's.

V-Vaping
A-Alternatives (to)
P-Protect
E-Everyone

As far as the organization, I think it would be benifitial to know what areas of help you may be interested in participating in. What is your area of expertise?

We will likely need: (Just thinking out loud here.)

IT/website. Webby, sounds like you have that one headed in the right direction.

A group for press releases. Writers, publishers, PR people. (<---Calling for TBob)

A group to push for testing/medical on liquid and vapor. (<---Calling for Dr. Loi or any other medical industry professionals)

A legal team for legalities of the organization and strategy for the future. Eric, great start on this! (<----Calling for Sun and yvilla to help)

Treasurer. Someone to keep track of funds disbursment and collections.

We also need a mission statement. A simple sentence or two describing our mission/goals.

I know there will be more, but it's late and these are just a few things just off the top of my head.

BTW, It does my heart good to see so many joining in! My personal thanks to you all!!!

gr8dane

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
To followup NiteWriter's great start on 'needs' list, here are some main areas I would like see in this orgs charter or scope (which will expand the skillset needs list).

Educate - Although the general public needs to know the real facts about our guys (still pondering what to call them, other than e-cigs or pvs), we need to do a focused push aimed at specific targets, including information packets and in some cases, a sample of liquid, designed for that specific audience:
- MDs and hospitals (especially teaching universities)
- Law enforcement
- City governments
- Business establishments
- Colleges/Universities

Consumer Reporting - With this being a consumer organization, we have an army of 'men on the street'. We need to take advantage of this, and start tracking gathered intelligence in an organized manner (can anybody say database :)) rather than just anecdotal posts scattered thru the forum. Examples would be product recalls, quality issues, positive impacts to health, adverse effects, etc. The actual content of this is TBD.

PR - Already discussed

Legislative Tracking/Support - Not only tracking and reporting legislation going on around the country/world, but generating a pro-active firefighting kit and implementation strategy, that we could roll out to support the locals, as soon as any rumblings surfaced. I'm sure Spikey could help with this.

This definitely is not the final answer, but at least it a clothes rack to start hanging stuff on.

-Kathy

Last edited:

gr8dane

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
If memebers from outside the USA can be part of this. Being from Canada and I really like CASA, how about ICASA for International Consumer Advocates for Smokeless Alternatives.

Love it, and yes, I think this does need to be a world organization, because in this case, what happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas...erroneous information and slanted views are viral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread