ECO - Electronic Cigarette Organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

webtaxman

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
I'm in -- will help in any area needed.

Tax/Accounting is my business ---so---please do not rely on any correspondence with IRS employees. I believe one is even warned by the IRS itself, not to rely on their employee information.

Those who mentioned the need for a mission statement are spot on IMO. You will need one that is all encompassing and gives the IRS and the applicable Secretary of State a REASON to grant relief and designation as a non-profit.

I'm also a paralegal. In CA, and by definition, I am prohibited from offering any legal advice.

Attorneys are also limited by their respective State Bars of where and or what issue, they can offer advice. Most practicing attorneys can argue Federal law in a Federal Court.

Please keep in mind that non-practicing lawyers are severely limited as to what they can do.

I don't expect m/any attorneys to join and advance the idea of creating a consumer oriented non-profit. They don't want to be accused of unlicensed practice of law (UPL).

Every one should call or visit the website of your respective State Bars. You'd be amazed at the resources some will offer.

Mike

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
I'm in -- will help in any area needed.

Tax/Accounting is my business ---so---please do not rely on any correspondence with IRS employees. I believe one is even warned by the IRS itself, not to rely on their employee information.

Those who mentioned the need for a mission statement are spot on IMO. You will need one that is all encompassing and gives the IRS and the applicable Secretary of State a REASON to grant relief and designation as a non-profit.

I'm also a paralegal. In CA, and by definition, I am prohibited from offering any legal advice.

Attorneys are also limited by their respective State Bars of where and or what issue, they can offer advice. Most practicing attorneys can argue Federal law in a Federal Court.

Please keep in mind that non-practicing lawyers are severely limited as to what they can do.

I don't expect m/any attorneys to join and advance the idea of creating a consumer oriented non-profit. They don't want to be accused of unlicensed practice of law (UPL).

Every one should call or visit the website of your respective State Bars. You'd be amazed at the resources some will offer.

Mike

Mike,

Good info - what would qualify as "paid legal advice" Are lawyers required to charge full going rate for their services or offer advice pro bono (or at a very low rate) to the organization without getting themselves into trouble?

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
If memebers from outside the USA can be part of this. Being from Canada and I really like CASA, how about ICASA for International Consumer Advocates for Smokeless Alternatives.

Don't know that I have much to offer but count me in for a small monetary donation at least.

I like this one. It gets the message across and it "sounds" good.

webtaxman

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Mike,

Good info - what would qualify as "paid legal advice" Are lawyers required to charge full going rate for their services or offer advice pro bono (or at a very low rate) to the organization without getting themselves into trouble?

Paid for or not, it really comes down to can that lawyer offer legal advice and services in x or y jurisdiction. Is that lawyer licensed and practicing in that jurisdiction. A licensed attorney in Wisconsin cannot practice law in CA. But usually is able to practice in Federal Courts. It's complicated, and why lawyers are reluctant to say much. They carry malpractice insurance just as MDs do.

There is also reciprocity in a lot of those Northern states, and that gets complicated. But the amount paid is not the issue. Hope that made sense. Probably not after re-reading it.
:confused:

mm485

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2009
New Jersey
Just saw this thread and I think it's a great idea! I just recently got promoted to the head of e-marketing for my company, and am starting to create relationships with web marketing contacts. Not exactly a related field - music/entertainment business and retail, but who smokes more than musicians? Not to mention they're normally into new and kitchy things (PVs definitely qualify). Would I be able to help in that capacity?

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Paid for or not, it really comes down to can that lawyer offer legal advice and services in x or y jurisdiction. Is that lawyer licensed and practicing in that jurisdiction. A licensed attorney in Wisconsin cannot practice law in CA. But usually is able to practice in Federal Courts. It's complicated, and why lawyers are reluctant to say much. They carry malpractice insurance just as MDs do.

There is also reciprocity in a lot of those Northern states, and that gets complicated. But the amount paid is not the issue. Hope that made sense. Probably not after re-reading it. :confused:

I'm hip. I guess the initial interest is just having someone wade through and take an educated stab at deciphering some of the legalease on the NPO docs. I wouldn't expect anyone to put their license on the line by representing the group straight away, just someone who could offer an educated (off the record) interpretation.

Then, if/when we do hire an attorney, we'll at least know enough to ask the intelligent questions.

mm485

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2009
New Jersey
Also one thing to consider is search engine ranking for the web site. If cigarette or tobacco is in the name it will be probably buried under pages and pages of tobacco/cigarette sites.

Just another thing to consider.

Perhaps some of our donations could be put aside to pay for keywords and/or Google ads. Keywords will allow us to come up more frequently in searches, and if I'm not mistaken they need to be "bought"

madman3237

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2009
Laurel, DE USA
Perhaps some of our donations could be put aside to pay for keywords and/or Google ads. Keywords will allow us to come up more frequently in searches, and if I'm not mistaken they need to be "bought"

Which is another reason not to have cigarette or tobacco in the name. These are banned on Google Adwords.

RobertY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread