ECO - Organization Charter: Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I finally got through all the posts in this thread. Good to see brains at work, united for a common goal!

A couple of things in the goals list are starting to duplicate.

4. Serve as User’s Advocate in efforts to discourage the sale of personal vaporizers and supplies to minors as well as joining existing efforts to discourage the use of nicotine products by minors.

and the last bullet of 5. Reporting attempts of illegal sales to minors to the proper authorities.

Different wording, same idea. And the wording in 5 - shouldn't it be purchase(s) instead of sales? And, "illegal sales" - they aren't illegal yet, just ill-advised.

Then #2. To maintain a web-based community for individual users and their shared experiences with these products by testimonials, photos and multimedia clips.

and

8. Facilitate a social support network for people who choose smoke-free or harm reducing alternatives to improve their personal health.

I think the 2 can be combined into one goal. Does 2 need to be so very specific "testimonials, photos and multimedia clips."?

How about
2. To maintain a web-based community and facilitate a social support network for people who choose smoke-free or harm reducing alternatives to improve their personal health by discussing alternatives and comparing stories.

Or something like that. I'm sure it can be worded better.

In another thread I voiced concern about the name of the org "Consumer Advocates for Smokeless Alternatives Association" and not having the group deal with alternatives other than our PVs. I think that has been adequately addressed in this thread.

I, for one, will be using other alternatives if I am unable to obtain parts and supplies for my PVs. I do.not.want.to go back to burning tobacco and inhaling smoke!

I think this is coming together well! Thanks to all of you!

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
Proposed Changes to #5 of Organizational Goals (with objections*)

Endorse manufacturers and suppliers who adhere to *stringent standards such as:

• Provide *accurate documentation and safety information to their customers.
  • Provide fair and legal advertising or marketing claims on packaging, and web sites
  • Require purchases be conducted using appropriate identification
  • Report attempts of illegal unlawful sales to purchases by minors to the proper authorities.

Motions to Include Organizational Goal #8 as one (or combination) of the following:

8. Act as a social support network for those who wish to abstain from smoking tobacco.

8. Facilitate a social support network for people who choose smoke-free or harm reducing alternatives to improve their personal health.

Proposal to ammend the following Organizational Goals:

1. To inform and educate the general public as to the available options for reduced harm tobacco/nicotine alternatives and provide documentation to reputable medical and news items.

2. To maintain a web-based community for individual users and their shared experiences with these products by testimonials, photos and multimedia clips. **and facilitate a social support network for people who choose smoke-free or harm reducing alternatives to improve their personal health by discussing alternatives and comparing stories.

3. Formation of a collective voice for the urging of more positive political, medical and legal representation of the electronic cigarettes and smoke-free alternative community in congress, the medical community and the media.

** with stipulation that ammendment will replace a proposed #8
blue indicates an additon

Other than possibly sending the mission statement as it stands through a formal review vote and possibly some minor verbiage tweaks, I think we're pretty close to an agreement on that. Seems like we might be ready to move onto the next discussion of bylaws and administrative rules.

Webby, I know you've already got a few administrative positions filled so I'd imagine there may already be some work done, but we should probably start on that next. Big questions to be addressed are regarding: What types of issues need a full member vote, what (if any) are the requirements for membership, what will the org chart look like, etc.

Objections? Should we start a separate thread or continue it here? Are we ready to open that can o' worms or should we wait for a private discussion space?

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
Yep, it's looking almost professional :)

I'm for leaving the word accurate in #5. stringent, I could go either way.

Also, I like Kamanjah's idea of incorporating the proposed #8 into #2.

Maybe #4 could be rewritten to state something along the lines of:

4. Serve as an advocate for industry standards to ensure ethical and lawful practices in the sale and marketing of tobacco/nicotine alternatives.

Doh, that's already in number 6, nevermind!! maybe someone could tweak it though:

4. Serve as User’s Advocate in efforts to discourage the sale of personal vaporizers and supplies to minors as well as joining existing efforts to discourage the use of nicotine products by minors.

I've always been a fan of the number 8, though :) maybe 8 could be something about the future and evolving with the dynamics of science, technology and medicine.

Last edited:
I dont see any point in a 'social support network' - not because that's not a good thing but because that's what ECF is, in effect.

I would keep the original idea - testimonials. To me, perhaps the most important thing the site could do. Why remove that and replace it with chit-chat? Having forums just doesnt make sense, with newbies wondering if their bad dream, stubbed toe etc is due to their new VG blend etc.

Last edited:
"4. Serve as User’s Advocate in efforts to discourage the sale of personal vaporizers and supplies to minors as well as joining existing efforts to discourage the use of nicotine products by minors."

This is very flimsy and also suggests that such selling is currently common.

Better: Maintain a strong opposition to sales or marketing to minors.

+ #8 sounds great, i agree wholeheartedly :cool:
(yes i was one of the ones who proposed the idea, jk ;-))

#8 is a very bad idea - for CASAA to get involved with. It's a completely separate activity best left to ECF and such. No only to avaoid duplication but to maintain focus.

I would strngly suggest that the whole charter etc is reviewed after say a couple of months. When people have had more chance to think things through and their are more heads to bear on the matters. Too few people now.

Last edited:
I dont see any point in a 'social support network' - not because that's not a good thing but because that's what ECF is, in effect.

I would keep the original idea - testimonials. To me, perhaps the most important thing the site could do. Why remove that and replace it with chit-chat? Having forums just doesnt make sense, with newbies wondering if their bad dream, stubbed toe etc is due to their new VG blend etc.

As a coalition of users AND industry professionals we have a unique opportunity to help define the "look" of the PV movement. Part of vaping rather than "quitting" is a social aspect. Over the past 30 years, smokers have been socially vilified because the smoke itself is antisocial--that stigma now rests undeservingly on vapers. The Lifestyle portion of CASAA is intended to break that stigma and support individual efforts to stop smoking or reduce/eliminate nicotine use by replacing with pro-social behaviors like vaping.

The biggest resource CASAA has over other pro-vaping groups is tech savvy. The Lifestyle section is all about merging technology with lifestyle choices. This is where MrKai's iPhone app will go, for example. This is where we might organize "Tea Party" style demonstrations. This is where members build camaraderie, encourage, and congratulate each other for successes, or console each other if we suffer a loss. Maybe its done in a forum...

...maybe its a new technology that you might not have considered because we haven't been able to openly discuss technological innovations currently in development because of possibly conflicting interest with our pending non-profit status?

Going back to the topic of having closed-door discussions is the subject of innovative technology: Lets say someone here "builds a better mousetrap" (perhaps a manufacturing process improvement or marketing plan) that they'd like to donate to our cause but its not ready for open-source release. We might not be able to use it if we don't have a closed-door area, and it is really difficult to collaborate without some assurance of privacy. Finally, if the FDA is successful in their attempts to ban e-cigs, it is possible that our cause would be best promoted by DIY mods to legal products that we might not be able to officially endorse but could discuss in a private setting.

Although I am absolutely hoping for the best, we still have to plan for the worst.

"The Lifestyle portion of CASAA is intended to break that stigma and support individual efforts to stop smoking or reduce/eliminate nicotine use by replacing with pro-social behaviors like vaping."

I have the feeling that 'lifestyle' means something quite different to you than what it suggests to me.

Since when was nicotine use anti-social? Just clumsy wording?

Intrigued by this technology inference - not sure if this is a camapagning tool or a simple diy e-cig (that I know are easy to accomplish, even without nichrome wire).

"The Lifestyle portion of CASAA is intended to break that stigma and support individual efforts to stop smoking or reduce/eliminate nicotine use by replacing with pro-social behaviors like vaping."

I have the feeling that 'lifestyle' means something quite different to you than what it suggests to me.

'Lifestyle' is in reference to the way that smoking and its alternatives affect our lives. For e-cig users, this refers to how and where and when we vape and how that may affect our social life. For industry professionals, this refers to how and where and when the e-cigarette is marketed. RtV addresses just the users' lifestyle choices, ECA addresses the distributors marketing choices...CASAA will address the intersection.

Since when was nicotine use anti-social? Just clumsy wording?
Nicotine use isn't antisocial. The physical act of smoking (no nicotine required) can be a social experience, but the smoke itself is completely ANTI-social: It makes you smell bad (antisocial), it makes you lose your sense of taste and smell (antisocial), it contains carcinogens and poisons that can eventually kill you (antisocial), and secondhand smoke brings all these antisocial side-effects to everyone around you.

Smoking is extremely antisocial and has developed a stigma. Vaping, on the other hand, can be quite social and the secondhand stigma from smoking is undeserved and should be challenged.

Intrigued by this technology inference - not sure if this is a camapagning tool or a simple diy e-cig (that I know are easy to accomplish, even without nichrome wire).
Both are examples of how CASAA would differentiate itself from other organizations' social element.

The "Lifestyle" section of CASAA constitutes our efforts to take action in the courts of public opinion.

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
CASAA

Mission:

The mission of the The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association (CASAA) is to inform, educate and promote and preserve the consumer's right to choose safer and more effective alternatives to smoking. It is an unbiased, non-profit organization dedicated to the advocacy of its members and their rights.

Objective:

CASAA is a non-profit coalition of consumers and industry professionals working together to educate the public about the real risks and potential benefits of smokeless alternatives. It is the group’s goal to publicize research and support harm reduction technologies, as well as provide and support political and legal causes that preserve consumer freedom.

*Tentative Organizational Goals

1. To inform and educate the general public as to the available options for reduced harm tobacco and nicotine alternatives and provide documentation to reputable medical and news items.

2. To maintain a web-based community for individual users and their shared experiences with these products by testimonials, photos and multimedia clips.

3. Formation of a collective voice for the urging of more positive political, medical and legal representation of the electronic cigarette and smoke-free alternative community in congress, the medical community and the media.

4. Maintain a strong opposition to sales or marketing to minors.

5. Endorse manufacturers and suppliers who adhere to ethical standards such as:

• Provide accurate documentation and safety information to their customers.
  • Provide fair and legal advertising or marketing claims on packaging, and web sites
  • Require purchases be conducted using appropriate identification
  • Report attempts of purchases by minors to the proper legal authorities.

6. Establish guidelines for responsible, fair and ethical business practices that manufacturers, suppliers, and retailers are required to maintain in order to receive group approval.

7. Act as a clearinghouse for information about products and services that adhere to ethical practices, high standards of quality and demonstrate true representation of products intended for consumers.

*This is the fairest representation of the general consensus that I can derive from the previous discussions. Please forgive and correct any errors in the compilation.

Last edited:

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN

possibly change the verbage from Faciliate to Provide Resources for... or something to the effect of providing links to other "endorsed" cessation organizations?
I think the original intent for a #8 was for persons who were seeking to quit nicotine altogether, without making any specific claims in relation to products we endorse.

Also, #2 may not have relevance (as stated) if we are not to have a forum.

Last edited:

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Also, #2 may not have relevance (as stated) if we are not to have a forum.

Actually, this was referring to the web site (most particularly the Lifestyles area) as asupplement to ECF. It was an intent to convey the more social aspects of the community. As both a central (web) location for user testimonials and tips and an effort to put a face on the average user.

It's easy for ASH and other groups to portray us as nasty goulish people with yellowed teeth and .... lab chemicals strewn about. REAL pictures and friendly advice/testimonials are another bullet in the bandito belt to fighting that misconception and winning the hearts and minds of the uninformed.

Not everyone can (or needs to be) swayed by lengthy legal documents and medical reports. True, they will make the decision as to whether or not our battle is won legally, but if the public is against us no politician in the world is going to vote our way - regardless of the evidence in our favor.

I want pictures and personal testimonials of moms, dads, grandmoms, your Aunt Edna, young people, old people, urbanites, country folk, beach bums, etc. Not everyone reads or follows forums and (as there is no inflection in the written word), text alone doesn't convey the humanity in users.

Trust me on this one, people need to like us. If they don't it won't matter how well we win intellectual debates.

I think the original intent for a #8 was for persons who were seeking to quit nicotine altogether, without making any specific claims in relation to products we endorse.

The important step is to quit smoke. Going further to quit nicotine might be a good thing, but it's not on the same scale of potential harm. So I think we should avoid a position on quitting nicotine, though still allow space fr people to discuss it of course.

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
1. To inform and educate the general public as to the available options for reduced harm and smoke-free tobacco and nicotine alternatives and provide documentation to reputable medical and news items.

I'd like to propose the addition of the term smoke-free as indicated above.

Mission and Objectives could use a little updating... Anyone?

Last edited:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
1. To inform and educate the general public as to the available options for reduced harm and smoke-free tobacco and nicotine alternatives and provide documentation to reputable medical and news items.

I'd like to propose the addition of the term smoke-free.

Mission and Objectives could use a little updating... Anyone?

I'm.... not a big fan of that one. It makes it sound as if smoke-free is separate from reduced harm. The original version is clear and simple. No mistaking what it means.

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
Right, it very well could be better in the broader sense. My thoughts were based upon kinabaloo's concerns of the PV being referenced as reduced harm and any implications that may have in terms of labeling it as safer. After reading it again, it does appear that this would not necessarily be the case, as the PV still falls under nicotine alternatives. I keep confusing myself over the term alternative.

hmm...dunno where that extra and came from. lol, it's late...

1. To inform and educate the general public as to the available options for reduced harm tobacco and smoke-free nicotine alternatives and provide documentation to reputable medical and news items.

Last edited:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Right, it very well could be better in the broader sense. My thoughts were based upon kinabaloo's concerns of the PV being referenced as reduced harm and any implications that may have in terms of labeling it as safer. After reading it again, it does appear that this would not necessarily be the case, as the PV still falls under nicotine alternatives. I keep confusing myself over the term alternative.

hmm...dunno where that extra and came from.

Taking out the extra "and" does change things for the better. It was a bit confusing and that does clear it up. I'm not up on the legal issues you're dealing with so I can't comment on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread