Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
So I hear these are "the same" as the VZ super concentrated flavorings

I have a bottle of RY4, Cigar, and French Pipe steeping right now, each at 5%

Initial impressions:

1) despite the claim that these have PG in them, they are incredibly thin, and have the same exact consistency as the VZ flavorings. if I had to guess, I'd say there is no PG in this mix, just water/ETOH

2) they smell like they are from the VZ family for sure, its unmistakeable

3) I don't own VZ RY4 or cigar, so I can't compare. But the ECX french pipe and VZ french pipe smell a bit different, and they are also not quite the same color.

my guess at this point wrt to the tobaccos is, they are probably made by the same company, and use similar flavor ingredients/extractions, but perhaps at different ratios with slight tweaks

to be continued...

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
French Pipe

8.3% flavor
17 nic (MFS)
17% PG
The rest VG

vaped on: 510 1.7 ohm attie on the puck, V4L ego and Riva 510

steep time: ~2 days

color: dark brown, darker than the VZ

I'm not going to get all verbal, because this is essentially the same as the VZ french pipe, so you can check that review out of you like.

the differences: its less 'sweet' (I don't actually find VZ french pipe sweet tasting, its more a sweet smell)...whatever you experience that sweet, dominant note as, a flavor or a smell, there is less of it. and there is more of a full, rich tobacco tone. I also think this one will be easier to tweak, because you won't find yourself fighting down that 'sweet' with fist fulls of over flavors

standalone potential: 9/10

rating: 9/10

aroma: sweet pipe, sweet, malt?

punch/kick: pretty mild

flavor: light, sweetish aromatic pipe tobacco, with richer undertones than the VZ version. I can't put my finger on what exactly the 'sweet/dominant' note is, I wish I could, its actually frustrating, but whatever it is I find it quite nice.

I'm demoting VZs to an 8/10 and 8/10 on standalone and rating, simply because I prefer the more round and balanced flavor the ECX incarnation gives

Last edited:

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Cigar

7% flavor
27 nic (ECX)
93% VG

steep time: about 2 days

vaped on: 510 1.7 ohm attie, puck, V4L ego, Riva 510

as for the rest of it, see the french pipe above. I honestly can't articulate the difference. There is a SLIGHT difference, but I honestly can't describe it. I'm going to let them both sit for a while until I can sort it out. It still has the dark and rich note, but there is something a bit more bright in there. Maybe its just midway between the VZ and ECX french pipe, I dunno. But this is not a cigar lol.

EDIT: And somehow in the flavor bottles, the color is the same, but mixed, this one is lighter than the french pipe.

Last edited:

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
RY4

5% flavor

25 nic
95% VG

steep time: ~2 days

color: light brown, amber

aroma: cig tobacco, cig tobacco...maybe some vanilla, caramel and nut, but that could be a placebo ;)

punch/kick: moderate

mouthfeel/texture dry, rich, bold

flavor: This is a nicely balanced cigarette flavor. I can see fans of sweet RY4s being upset with this one. If you're looking for Halo Tribeca, TPA Ry4 double, or some other acetyl pyrazine ethyl maltol stew, you're going to be disappointed.

I happen to love this flavor. Its very much in the VZ real cig family, very close in fact. But it has more kick, and more of a full/rich tobacco note, I do believe there are some very subtle caramel and vanilla tones here, more in the aroma than in the flavor, but they are there. Kind of like you get subtle nutty tones from a marlboro no 27. (its been a while). I could see this being a near perfect base, you could easily take it in the sweet direction or the more dry, harsh tobacco direction. Slamming!

standalone: 10/10

rating: 10/10

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Cigar

so after a week the flavor is MUCH more balanced, the french pipe-ish notes have recessed into the background, there is more must and body (in a good way). still not quite a cigar, but much closer to a rich tobacco. Even some bite.

its funny, its actually quite close to a blend I made of FP, Old Captain, and FA Black Fire

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Captain

4% flavor
10% DW
86% VG
18 mg ECX nic

Vaped on: DID, I06, .357 and Modded Mini Vivi and E1, 8-12 watts

Steep Time: Vaped right away over the past two weeks

Color: Honey-yellow

Aroma: pipe, spice, chocolate

Mouthfeel/Texture: rich, velvety

Flavor: Well the bad news is its not identical to the no longer available Old Captain from VZ. The good news is, its slamming. There is a pipe flavor in the mix, but more of the spice (something acidic?) notes that the Cigar and French Pipe above carry. Not as strong at all, but still present. Also light sweet/chocolatey notes, but not the overpowering banana boat of Black and Mild et al. I love this, can't wait to mix it with the 'other' captain when I get home. Old Cap is more of a rich, sweet pipe, this is more of a spicy, punchy pipe.

I have bobas bounty and gorilla juice with me as well, and I prefer this by far. Thank you linnx for procuring this for us, you're the man.

Standalone Potential: 10/10

Rating:
10/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread