Efest 18650 Battery Venting at 14Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleDZA

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
"NOTES: Dust has settled, i tested more 2 others and i pushed from them 24Amp (the maximum SMY 60 allows) and 38Amp in other tests and nothing happened. I conclude it was an isolated case, but it's not excusable since it's a DANGER to all of us the fact that Efest put out batteries without all being tested, and yes the 2800mAh Efest ones are made by Efest not rewrapped LG's anymore as you can see on Efest Facebook page, maybe that's the problem since i always had older Efest batteries, rewrapped or not, never failed me before..."

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Wow, that's the first I've seen a video from that particular person but I must say I enjoyed it. Informative and not just random hearsay about venting, he shows one venting on camera! Ballsy, but none the less you can actually hear it and see it vent during firing in his test scenario.

I will continue to stay far away from Efest, they're just an unknown quantity with inferior quality cells and nothing more.

Reactions: pnyc

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    There are counterfeit Efest batteries out there. This could have been one of them.
    It could explain why only a particular one failed.

Just a warning to others...
    Using a battery again that has vented once is incredibly dangerous. Very often a battery's vents become clogged after the first venting. If you use the battery again the pressure can build up a lot higher the second time, leading to the cell bursting.

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Peg thinks, it was a PCB failure on the battery:

There are a lot of inconsistent and confusing statements made in that video.

The Efests don't have PCBs so I don't think that was the issue.

It might have been a CID and/or PTC failure or it could just be that it didn't have these protection features in the first place. But, even without protection the battery venting at 14A means that this is a different battery than the usual Efest 35A 2800's. His not being able to replicate the venting is important.

I tested that same battery recently (results not posted yet) and it was an ok 20A battery. No problems discharging it at 25A other than the heating you would see when using a 20A battery at 25A.

So, either that battery was a different cell (i.e., a fake Efest) than the others he tested (and the one I tested), it was a rare manufacturing dud, or we have a mix of old and new Efest batteries floating around. With the new ones being crap cells. We really need to see that vented battery with its wrapper off so we can compare it to other 35A 2800mAh Efests.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    I saw the video earlier, but didn't post it here because theres something a bit fishy about it which I can't quite put into words. Handling and putting yourself close to a venting battery is ill-advised to say the least.

Also, there are some bad swears in the video which the moderaters may object to.

Reactions: Mooch

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    There are a lot of inconsistent and confusing statements made in that video.

The Efests don't have PCBs so I don't think that was the issue.

It might have been a CID and/or PTC failure or it could just be that it didn't have these protection features in the first place. But, even without protection the battery venting at 14A means that this is a different battery than the usual Efest 35A 2800's. His not being able to replicate the venting is important.

I tested that same battery recently (results not posted yet) and it was an ok 20A battery. No problems discharging it at 25A other than the heating you would see when using a 20A battery at 25A.

So, either that battery was a different cell (i.e., a fake Efest) than the others he tested (and the one I tested), it was a rare manufacturing dud, or we have a mix of old and new Efest batteries floating around. With the new ones being crap cells. We really need to see that vented battery with its wrapper off so we can compare it to other 35A 2800mAh Efests.
    Yeah. It's not the first time that Peg speaks with authority about things he really doesn't know much about...

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread