Effects of Vaping on Teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockinred1011

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Toronto ON
This may be a stupid question but I was always told that it was the nicotine that stained your teeth. So since we still have that nicotine does it not still stain your teeth? Or is the fact that there is no combustion going on change things? Personally I've always had amazing oral health. I take terrible care of my teeth and I've never had a cavity and my teeth are as pearly white as ever. Dentist says I have really strong teeth (who knew?).

Zelphie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Since Ive started vaping my gums bleed very easily. When I floss I get a mouthful of blood, whereas before vaping there was minimal to no bleeding. Its difficult to know for sure of the cause, but vaping its the only thing Im doing differently and I am a bit concered this will lead to receeding gums. Pg does cause irritation to skin as in my sore throats...red and swollen tonsils. Vg can help reduce the sore throats but I prefer pg :p

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
Since Ive started vaping my gums bleed very easily. When I floss I get a mouthful of blood, whereas before vaping there was minimal to no bleeding. Its difficult to know for sure of the cause, but vaping its the only thing Im doing differently and I am a bit concered this will lead to receeding gums. Pg does cause irritation to skin as in my sore throats...red and swollen tonsils. Vg can help reduce the sore throats but I prefer pg :p

What about PEG would that help? I prefer PG and PEG over VG for the throat hit and it seems kinder to my atties and I heard that PEG has less irritation than PG ia that true?

Stephaniems

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
Alot of people gums bleed when they stop smoking, and if you've just switch to vaping you tend to blame it on that. My gums bled so bad on and off the first few months of vaping that it really worried me. I've been vaping for more then a year and a half now and they never bleed. It'll stop I guess when your body gets use to not smoking and clearing out all the toxins from smoking.

Rykk

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Florida
I've noticed my gums are tender to painful on my front, upper teeth. I've been vaping for almost exactly a year, zero tar sticks for 10 months of that, not even a drag.

I vape only PG - Johnson's Creek 24mg plus 1/3 of Totally Wicked 36mg flavorless thru an m4x series with an auto batt. The extra nic I only started adding the last few months in search of better/more throat hit. The gum bit has been ongoing since maybe the 2nd or 3rd month of vaping when I got to be doing it much more than cigarettes.

Here's my theory as to why this might be, taken from experience and something I just read here:
1) I've read here some talk that vaping dries/dehydrates your mouth. I can relate as sometimes my lips even get bumps from the dryness. I vape like I smoked - non-stop like a freaken stack on a paper mill. I was thinking it was the coffee I drink but the notion it dries you out has been debunked these days, I think.

2) And here's maybe the culprit: I find you end up, many/most times, having to drag MUCH harder on a "vaporette" (that's what 'I' call them - much easier and catchier than "personal vaporizor", which sounds like something for sick kids or old folks) than a real cigarette. This causes your - dry - inner upper lip to purse and squeeze against the - dry - front surface of the gums on your upper front teeth and irritates them. I've tried changing which side I drag from and the problem seems to go to that side after awhile.

What do y'all think?

C-ya!
Rick

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Many of us are concerned when we quit smoking and see the gum issues start to pop up. I remember looking it up myself when I first noticed well over a year ago (it never got better, and I do need to see a dentist).

A very interesting thread on this subject with some good posts by a dentist is here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/42339-dental-gums.html

Some good info from that thread by the Dentist:

Smoking does NOT toughen your gums in a good way. What it does is pump them full of toxins and suppress microcirculation. This has the effect of MASKING the usual disease markers such as bleeding. Cessation of smoking restores the normal vascular response and so smokers will often begin experiencing more bleeding than usual to normal stimuli like brushing shortly after they quit. This is a normal phenomenon.

Zelphie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Alot of people gums bleed when they stop smoking, and if you've just switch to vaping you tend to blame it on that. My gums bled so bad on and off the first few months of vaping that it really worried me. I've been vaping for more then a year and a half now and they never bleed. It'll stop I guess when your body gets use to not smoking and clearing out all the toxins from smoking.

I dunno, I still smoke too much..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread