Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I am from the Baltimore area and grew up on Egg Custard. I am just getting back into diy and am looking for an eggy flavoring. I heard good things about FA Vienna Cream. I would love any recommendations as I am sure it will take a few tries to really get it right. TIA!
Capella's Vanilla Custard v1. Be prepared to let the mix sit & steep for a couple of weeks at least. The longer the better. Time does wonderful things with custards, good luck!

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
The eggy note is the holy grail of custard recipes. Even the Cap V1, to me, doesn't hit it. I really gave up trying to get it just right, and no recipe any one shared with me was on par with what I wanted. if you feel you do get it right, please, please let us know how you got there.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Sorry I wasn't clear. I was visiting family in the boonies and just trying to send a response while I had a signal...lol. Once I have received the flavoring I will certainly let you know my thoughts on it!
No worries. Just my own desire to find a DIY foundation for creme brulee. Something that gives me a good start point but can tweak into my own wheelhouse (balance of custard to caramelized sugar to spice {touch of nutmeg, hint of cinnamon, and just a kiss of lemon} but big on that eggy silkiness).

I would be interested on your LB premade thoughts just the same.

Reactions: Kenna

melodiousThunk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2009
san francisco
I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I share your love of a great creme brûlée base. I've been developing different versions for a few years now.

Here are some of the eggy flavors I've used in my custard recipes:
• fa meringue: egg white, pretty sweet and dry

• fa custard: The classic. It tastes just like a light custard, perfectly balanced. However, the lemon note can really be distracting. The solution is to let it steep for at least 1 month. After that the lemon disappears. If you're using strong flavors, they'll mask the citrus. I mix up a large bottle at 25%, let it steep and use that in my mixes

• inawera creme brûlée: not as eggy as it could be and the vanilla is prominent, but I use it a lot and it's one of my favorites. I still have to add milky dairy notes sometimes (ie. fa whipped cream, molinberry creamy vanilla, milkshake, etc.), but it's probably the closest I've found so far to a plain custard flavor. It can be vaped stand-alone.

• vienna cream: well-balanced, sweet and almost fruity. Many people love this with fa cream fresh. I love cream fresh, but vienna cream is little too favored for my straight ahead creme brûlée recipes.

• catalan creme: this is fa's creme brûlée flavor. It's very good, but again it has a lot of non-dairy, non-eggy notes in it: brown sugar, faint cinnamon, and a bit of citrus. It's great, but it's very specific. But like fa custard, it develops into a great flan flavor after a month. I also mix this one at 25% and use the steeped flavor in my mixes.

• inawera custard: new, nice thick custard favor, low percentages, no off notes just egg, dairy, a little vanilla and a hint of sugar. This one's promising but I need to work with it a bit more.

These aren't really base flavors, but they add an egg note if that's what you're looking for:
• cap egg nog: i find this a bit overwhelming, but it's very eggy. I'm not huge CAP fan anyway, they're too artificial tasting for me.
• nature's flavors zabaglione: this stuff is really good but it's hard to come by. Zabaglione is an italian custard made of eggs, cream and sometimes a dash of alcohol. And that's exactly what this flavor tastes like. Nature's Flavors are all alcohol-based so they need a lot of airing.

That's about all for now. Hope that helps a bit. :D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I share your love of a great creme brûlée base. I've been developing different versions for a few years now.
Thanks Melodious, that was a really good detailed post. Great descriptions! :thumbs:
• fa custard: [Edit for brevity by IDJoel] I mix up a large bottle at 25%, let it steep and use that in my mixes
• catalan creme: [Edit for brevity by IDJoel] I also mix this one at 25% and use the steeped flavor in my mixes.
Your notes on the FA Custard and Catalan Creme both sound like what I am aiming for and also raised raised a couple of questions for me:
1. You mentioned that you prefer to dilute to 25% and then steep for a month. Have you ever tried just letting the original undiluted flavor concentrate breathe? I have found lemon in particular to be quite volatile and evaporates quickly (too quickly for me much of the time). Or do you loose too much of the "good stuff?"
2. With the 25% dilution that has been aged; do you use this at 4 times the volume to get the same total amount of flavoring, or do you use this at a 1:1 substitution effectively cutting that ingredient to 25% of what is actually called for?
3. With the 25% dilutions; what are your starting percentages as a stand-alone and as a base?
• inawera custard: new, nice thick custard favor, low percentages, no off notes just egg, dairy, a little vanilla and a hint of sugar. This one's promising but I need to work with it a bit more.
I haven't run across this one yet. Sounds like it might be a good fit to the overall puzzle. I just added it to my shopping list.
Thanks again for all the great information! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread