eGo-c burnt taste = tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade2black

Nov 24, 2011
Michigan
So I've had my eGo-C for a couple of weeks now and it has been AWESOME. I had absolutely no issues with it up until tonight. First off, I am a complete newb when it comes to vaping, so I may be doing something wrong, but here is what happened.

I have been trying a sample pack of juices and have been using the same tank with the soft cap and it has been great. After trying about 8 flavors, about a tank each (using same tank), I filled up a new flavor and took a few drags and WOW horribly disgusting burnt taste.

Immediately, I suspected the atomizer, so I swapped it out with a brand new one and STILL the exact same terrible taste. I wasn't sure what else to try, so I finally swapped out tanks and just used the hard cap (had to puncture a little first with a knife so the atty head would fully puncture right, what a pain!

Anyway, after switching tanks on the brand new atomizer, NO MORE BURNT TASTE! - I have no idea what would have caused this, not sure if the soft cap was not getting the juice to the atty right? If anyone knows what this could be, a little help would be great - Thanks! OH and one more thing, I was taking the cap off completely and filling the tank, then putting it back on, I'm not sure if that was maybe creating a vacuum in the tank keeping it from feeding right or not, but just a thought. With the new tank, I just stuck the dripped in through the hole in the cap and filled it that way.

rabernet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
Buford, GA
I'm also using the Ego-C, and I tried the silicon caps for just a few tanks and then went back to hard caps. I was getting more condensation with the soft caps, even a minute amount of leaking, and I wondered if the heat from the atomizer was expanding the hole in the soft caps.

Went back to hard caps and no problems. I'm about 10 days on my first atomizer and started to get a burned taste (and I'm rotating about three tanks that I've got pre-filled with flavors). Since I'm also new, I'm not sure if that means that this atty is done and I need to add a new one or not.

I can't imagine that the tank itself is the problem with the burnt taste, but I guess anything's possible. I rinse mine very well with warm water and blow them out.

I take the caps off every time I fill them. They seem to have a nice solid snap back into place (hard caps). Again, being new, I don't know if filling through the hole is important or not. I always leave enough space for an air bubble.

sammy43

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I had some issues with this initially when I got my C with all VG juice. I started priming the spike with small drops of liquid between tank changes and refills. This seems to solve the issue.

I also had to adjust my draw and vape rate. I take longer puffs now (4-5 seconds) using less draw pressure and this seems to help as well. This also helps avoid leaking issues.

I don't use alcohol for cleaning. You can take the atty apart for cleaning. I do this about once a week and am on my 3rd week with some of my C attys.

Cleaning the eGo-C atty
Pry off the wick plate with a small screwdriver by prying on the opening. Pry a bit on one side and then the other. Keep prying the wick plate up on both sides until it is loose. You can then remove the wick plate with you fingers. Make note of the alignment of the wick plate relative to the shape of the ceramic cup in the atty when you remove the wick plate so you can re-install it the same way.

The wick can be burned with a lighter to remove any gunked on juice. I use a pair of hemostats holding the wick plate by the edges (not the spike) and just touch the edge of the flame to the wick. It will catch fire for a second but this is just the old juice burning off. It will eventually turn white. Rinse it gently with hot water before and after this process. Edit: The metal gets hot! Don't burn your fingers. :oops:

For the atty...I rinse, dry burn the atty, repeat and rinse with hot water. It will also clean up quite nicely. Prime the wick and the coil with some juice and then use an empty tank with the hard cap to re-install the wick plate. I set the atty on my desk, push the wick plate into the cap on the tank and then push it back onto the atty.

Here are some before/after pics for reference:

6413166401_a896ca34d0.jpg

6414104649_0d7d011d8f.jpg

Hope this helps with maintenance on your eGo-C. :)

Last edited:

mjt

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2011
Arizona
Ok, guys I just my my C tank (hard cap) and C LR atty's. I have no experience with any Tank before, not even EGO-T

First, can someone tell me the best way to fill these tanks? I punctured the hole with the spike and then dripped the tank full.

2nd, I filled the tank totally full, is that OK?

3rd, I'm getting a nice vape, but it still tastes like that nasty atty machine oil I think. Has anyone else had this taste and what should I do? I've only inhaled one puff, because I can tell the nasty flavor is there. The attys do come cover with this oil.

sammy43

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
Atlanta, GA
mjt - You can also take the tank caps off to fill them up. After the initial fill you can then use a syringe to fill through the hole or just pop the cap off to fill if you don't have a syringe to use.

I don't fill the tanks completely full. I fill them about 80-90%. I got some suggestions for Trevor at Ovale and he suggested this. You will also want to refill the tank when it gets down to about 1/3 empty to avoid leaks. Check this thread for more details:
New Ovale eGo-C changeble system

As for the machine oil taste...the attys are packed with a primer fluid. I blow the new attys out from the bottom into a paper towel to get as much of this primer out as possible and then re-prime with some good e-juice. You can just drip some small drops of juice right on the spike and let it soak in. After vaping for a while the primer taste will go away. :2cool:

Last edited:

Adik Ted

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Scotland
I got an ego-c (my first ever ego) 3 weeks ago and I've went through the 5 atomisers plus 5 low resistance atomisers I purchased separately. I've had the burn taste with every one, some right away, some maybe 3 or 4 days in. I'm using 100% VG (LF menthol blend / Turk & USA mix). Even before the burnt taste arrives I've found the taste a bit mettalic. Am I doing something wrong? I noticed when taking the atomisers out of the packaging there's an oily substance. Do these need dry burned or cleaned beforehand?

I'm also not sure what these silicon caps you're talking about are. Are you talking about the soft caps that were attached to the hard plastic? Surely they're not supposed to be on the tank when you stuff it into the cone?

PS I did change the tank at one point.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I got an ego-c (my first ever ego) 3 weeks ago and I've went through the 5 atomisers plus 5 low resistance atomisers I purchased separately. I've had the burn taste with every one, some right away, some maybe 3 or 4 days in. I'm using 100% VG (LF menthol blend / Turk & USA mix). Even before the burnt taste arrives I've found the taste a bit mettalic. Am I doing something wrong? I noticed when taking the atomisers out of the packaging there's an oily substance. Do these need dry burned or cleaned beforehand?

I'm also not sure what these silicon caps you're talking about are. Are you talking about the soft caps that were attached to the hard plastic? Surely they're not supposed to be on the tank when you stuff it into the cone?

PS I did change the tank at one point.

Frankly if I had the same experience as you have, I'd go to cartos and live with the burning socks and filler and what that might do to your lungs eventually.

I had beta c atty heads and holder earlier than anyone here had the c's. Subsequently, I've had 6 eGo-c's going constantly. Although the splitting up of vaping time is a factor, I have never lost one atty SR or LR, I've only had to clean one atty head so far, I vape what you'd call 100% VG and haven't had any problems. The one thing that is different for me between the eGo t's and the eGo-c's - even the LRs - is that there was no burning of ejuice or even discoloration with the c's which can happen with certain ejuices with the t's and esp. on the LR's. You've already said that you're using the regular eGo batts so that rules out any extra wattage you might get from the SE Rivas or VV's or some other mod. Again - IF I had that much non-performance, even from the start, I would have tossed these long ago and if anything was in warranty, I'd send them back and ask for a refund or credit.

Adik Ted

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Scotland
Frankly if I had the same experience as you have, I'd go to cartos and live with the burning socks and filler and what that might do to your lungs eventually.

I had beta c atty heads and holder earlier than anyone here had the c's. Subsequently, I've had 6 eGo-c's going constantly. Although the splitting up of vaping time is a factor, I have never lost one atty SR or LR, I've only had to clean one atty head so far, I vape what you'd call 100% VG and haven't had any problems. The one thing that is different for me between the eGo t's and the eGo-c's - even the LRs - is that there was no burning of ejuice or even discoloration with the c's which can happen with certain ejuices with the t's and esp. on the LR's. You've already said that you're using the regular eGo batts so that rules out any extra wattage you might get from the SE Rivas or VV's or some other mod. Again - IF I had that much non-performance, even from the start, I would have tossed these long ago and if anything was in warranty, I'd send them back and ask for a refund or credit.

Kent, I have noticed the juice turns darker once I start vaping it. Thing is I got them from Heaven Gifts so I'd have to send them back to China. I've ordered some cartomisers from America so I'll see how I get on with them first.

Bobby Martin

Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lenexa, KS
I first went through my ego-c attys like water when new in feb. attempting a thick blueberry VG. After "spiking" with vodka (the VG juice that is, no issues. I used the same atty from April until yesterday when my new ego-c type b LR kit came in the mail. Why is everyone swear off the detailed joyetech approved method of cleaning the atty I wonder, where you remove the tank and depress the button until you see glowing red on both sides the wick (I use q-tips to remove leaked juice first, then dry draw until the burned taste comes, then continue to blow on atty clearing my view of it while pressing button until seeing the clean glowing red wick). I do this once, to every other day- and only burn 100% VG juice, minus my spiked vodka blueberry ;).

I've had similar experiences (burnt taste, dry hits, leaking) with the ego-c atty's and found them to absolutely inconsistent, although when they worked well, the taste is very good, as is the vapour.

I did notice that they got really hot (by comparison to a clearomizer like the Stardust) when using frequently, and it would seem to me that the shear heat thins the juice near the spike enough to 'flood' the Atty or leak into a big bloody mess. I reserve them now for trying new flavours only before I fill up a Stardust which has exactly none of the problems listed above.

Props though to Sammy43 for his cleaning instructions and photos, that is really the best method to restore your ego atty!

Tezcatlipoca

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2012
Riverside, CA
If you're using juices with organic ingredients (natural tobacco extracts especially), if the vendor doesn't filter the bajeezus out of them, they can clog an eGo-C atty pretty quickly, and it gives off a horrible pungent, acrid flavor. I've had issues with certain juices from Vaperite and Want2Vape.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I am having same problem with ego c style, I think I may have solved my problem by blowing through mouth piece and forcing a little more juice on the wick. Maybe not, I am not tasting so much burn now.

Actually you should suck on the mouthpiece without firing. Sucking creates a vacuum which pulls juice out of the tank.
Blowing would result in the same thing but if there is any liquid in the system (and there probably is at least a little) you'll be blowing it into the battery contact and that can create a hard draw.

What I do is when an atty is new if it isn't feeding right I take the spike off and adjust it until it is. Then I keep that atty for that juice. I rarely have to clean any more and my attys last a long time.

At worst they get clogged and I have to take the spike off, which at that point I have to put the wick back in but I don't have a problem with that like a lot of people do. If it's really gunked up in there I'll rinse it out but I don't dry burn and ultrasonic any more. I was going through too many attys doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread