Status
Not open for further replies.

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
I don't know about TV usb ports, I do know that using the charger in cars power port is not recommended, my understanding is the power ports aren't very well regulated in many cars.

I have also read the using a computers usb port can be hard on the computer, it may tax the power supply. The TV may not like the draw the Ego places on it, wall warts are the recommended way to go. That being said, I have used my computer with a passthrough many times, but I have a rather large rated power supply.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The USB port only provides power to the charger, at 5 volts. So it should not hurt the battery.

Like many others, I use a wall wart / adapter for my charging. My computer's health is more important than the convenience of plugging in there. While it's usually fine, one faulty charger could make for a very expensive charge!

Even if a usb port is poorly regulated it would probly never cause any issues. The charger is itself a regulator. Regulating from 5V to 4.2V. Most regulators have a relativley large input voltage range from say 3.0V to 18V with input needing to be +.5V of output voltage. I would argue that a cheap battery charger is more likely to damage the USB source or the battery then the source damage the battery or charger.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
A couple of years ago, I bought a Duracell two-port USB wall wart. I think I got it at either Office Depot or Office Max. I can charge two Ego batteries at once. The wall wart is absolutely the safest option. The Duracell two-port wart is just another layer of safety.

hazarada

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2013
buttville
if you over-drain an usb port, it will simply shut down the unit until you restart the device, in any case usb chargers are mostly 500mAh anyway which is what standard usb2 ports are officially rated for. Those ego chargers are rather crappily regulated and will sway in voltage depending on the input, my building has 236v for example (euro standard is 220-240) which makes your average wall plug ego charger overcharge the battery. USB ports are much more stable, the standard specifies 5% max deviation whether its a computer or a car.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
All the above is very true. The USB port is regulated. And many have had zero problems.

But in the event of a catastrophic failure of the admittedly cheap ego chargers, or a catastrophic failure of the battery while attached to the computer, those little copper traces on the motherboard aren't going to last long.

I do wish you continued good luck and no failures, but for my peace of mind, I use a 4 port wall wart. If the worst (and probably not likely) case happens and a charger flames on, I'm only out the charger and a $20 wall wart.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Ok, now that we have bounced all over the place regarding this issue let's get back to the original question: using an eGo charger on a television USB port.

You would have to check the specs for the television. It is undoubtedly a 5 volt USB port - that's what they do. But what's the purpose of that port on a TV? Most likely it's meant to be an interface for video playback devices, at best delivering enough current to read a USB flash drive. Unless you know the ports on that TV are at least USB 2.0 spec and can actually put out up to 500 mA current - not voltage, current - you risk overloading the USB port and frying it in the process. The eGo will probably come out fine, but you might kiss the USB port on the TV goodbye.

Guys, do I need to remind everyone that USB is a communications interface? It was never meant to be a universal toaster oven, coffee warmer, task lighting, hair dryer interface. If it doesn't need something about your computer - or in this case television - to actually function, blow the big bucks at Amazon on a $2.00 AC to USB adapter and spare the "I don't know" risk to your expensive electronics. I didn't buy a $699.00 battery charger with a bonus lap top thrown in the deal.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Someone read it on the Internet............... So it MUST be true :lol::lol::lol:

The convenience of a USB is NOT so you can plug into a WALL charger(though you can) But so you Can use the Power of a USB port from any USB 2.0 or above Device. PC, TV, XBOX - DOES NOT MATTER
The control is built into the little Box your battery attaches to.
This includes Power regulation(Output) as Well as Charge Protection(Prevents over charging)

I charge some of my Ego's regularly from my Dell 1545 Laptop.

Nicolay

Jul 27, 2013
Windhoek, Namibia
To be honest, when first becoming interested in vaping, the USB charging thing seemed very strange. While I use it, it still seems a bit absurd. Guess it puts the 'advanced & progressive' element to it. Just wait for that big California company putting an 'i' before it very soon, iodized aluminum and all that jazz will be standard :)

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I'll simply agree to disagree on the PC USB Port issue.
I have yet to see any PC manufacturer warning NOT to plug any device rated for the Port. These ports have been upgraded specifically t accommodate growing need.
USB 2.0 will run an external 3.5 drive without an additional power supply.

I never Assume on power capability. I READ the specifications first.:D

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
True, any USB2 port by definition should be able to deliver 5 volts at 500 mA or less. And an Ego charger is typically listed as having an input requirement of 5 volts and 500 mA, with output at 4.2 and 420 or so mA. On paper, everything looks good.

And as long as everything works properly, no problems.

It's if something doesn't work properly that concerns me. If it's one in a million, well, I don't want to be that one.

Today's hard drives are much improved over when I started with computers. (Well, that was actually well before hard drives... :laugh:) But I back up my files. Almost religiously.

To me, the peace of mind in knowing that my data is safe, and that a flaming charger won't touch my computer, is well worth the wall wart. And if I want to use something as a pass-thru, the wall wart can plug into the surge protected power strip next to my CPU.

Murphy was an optimist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread