Status
Not open for further replies.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
All done, and that was quick, even with one hand tied behind my back. Here's the first of 10 Claptons I bought last month right after trimming the tails on the .... of the coil head.
View attachment 691257

I was a little worried about the fit, but that disappeared when I pulled out the old coil and looked at the two together. I forgot to take a pic of that. :(

Here we are, all wicked up and ready to test. My Ohmmeter is a little screwy (i.e., ancient).

View attachment 691265

Locked the coil resistance at 0.42. Set temp to 300 F. Initial wattage at 18.

Mash the button and... Weak.

Initial wattage upped to 25. Temp at 300. Mash again and Mmm. Better.

I think I'll leave it there for the night and find something else to vape at bedtime.

The airflow in the Tron is... not good for sub-Ohm work. It's crowded in the CLR can, but there's no added restriction.

SS316, 2mm ID, 26/36 AWG, 4 wraps. PM me for contact info for the lady who builds them. They are really nice.

Since you started this I decided to give it a try with clapton. Today I went out and got some SS316L clapton wire 28AWG wrapped with 32 gauge AWG, the smallest I could find locally. It really is small wire too.

I wrapped one coil and stuck it in a subtank and got a .62 ohm coil out of it. It vapes nice in either TC or Watts and tastes good too.

I haven't tried one in the CLR coil yet but have wrapped one at 2 mm, 6 wraps which should I think hit around .6 or .7 ohm. It is tiny and will definitely fit in the CLR shell with no problem. Will try that tomorrow and see how it works.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Since you started this I decided to give it a try with clapton. Today I went out and got some SS316L clapton wire 28AWG wrapped with 32 gauge AWG, the smallest I could find locally. It really is small wire too.

I wrapped one coil and stuck it in a subtank and got a .62 ohm coil out of it. It vapes nice in either TC or Watts and tastes good too.

I haven't tried one in the CLR coil yet but have wrapped one at 2 mm, 6 wraps which should I think hit around .6 or .7 ohm. It is tiny and will definitely fit in the CLR shell with no problem. Will try that tomorrow and see how it works.
Let us know how it turns out. I didn’t think an SS Clapton coil - at a reasonably high ohm rating - would even fit in an CLR.

Is the coil you have in the Subtank touching or spaced? I’ve always wondered whether a SS touching coil would work in TC.

Reactions: FranC

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Let us know how it turns out. I didn’t think an SS Clapton coil - at a reasonably high ohm rating - would even fit in an CLR.

Is the coil you have in the Subtank touching or spaced? I’ve always wondered whether a SS touching coil would work in TC.

The subtank coil is not touching but very close to touching. I have now done the CLR and have pictures but haven't vaped it yet. I will let you know how it vapes later.
coil.jpg

coilcase.jpg

a>

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Had a chance to vape this. It works good in both TC and Watt modes. Vapor production is good and flavor is slightly better than straight ss wire. The draw is good for mtl with the posts from 1 ohm CLR. Might be good for DTL with the posts from the .5 ohm clrs, haven't tried that yet.

Have found online some 28/36 clapton ss wire. Will order and try it out. Might be able to get up around .8 ohm with it.

Spooled Clapton Wire 316L SS (26g/30g or 28g/36g)

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
My pkg arrived today but is still down the road in my mailbox cause the mail came late today.No big rush.I'll have it tomorrow.
Since you're in New Hampshire, how about walking up to New York and asking them what's up with mine. Still just says cleared the facility Oct. 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread