eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
Is this right? I use 30g Kanthal in just about everything. For my ego one's I make a 7 wrap coil on a 2.5mm mandrel for about 1.7 - 1.8 Ω's. To get about the same thing in SS, it's about double the number of wraps, this is according to Steam Engine.
I'm just wondering if you'll be able to get that SS coil, with that many wraps, to fit. I'm far from an expert coil builder so I'm sure I couldn't do it.

I have some 30ga SS316L wire I haven't tried yet. I figure I'm going to have to shoot for 1Ω to 1.5Ω to get it to work. If course, the diameter of your mandrel is going to come into play, also.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I'm just wondering if you'll be able to get that SS coil, with that many wraps, to fit. I'm far from an expert coil builder so I'm sure I couldn't do it.

I have some 30ga SS316L wire I haven't tried yet. I figure I'm going to have to shoot for 1Ω to 1.5Ω to get it to work. If course, the diameter of your mandrel is going to come into play, also.
7 wraps of 30 ga. 316L on a 2.5 mm mandrel should yield 1 Ohm. You'll need 11 wraps to get to 1.5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

GranFumador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Peoples' Bucolic Republic of Maine

You might be very pleasantly surprised by an 8 or 9 wrap awg 30 coil. The ohms will be lower than what you may be accustomed to, but the vapor and flavor will be more than satisfactory. I did try a ten or eleven wrap 28 awg coil, and it was difficult to make it fit the body without shorting. Finally got it to work. No flavor advantage compared with a 9 wrap coil with the same wire.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
You might be very pleasantly surprised by an 8 or 9 wrap awg 30 coil. The ohms will be lower than what you may be accustomed to, but the vapor and flavor will be more than satisfactory. I did try a ten or eleven wrap 28 awg coil, and it was difficult to make it fit the body without shorting. Finally got it to work. No flavor advantage compared with a 9 wrap coil with the same wire.
Yep. I can maneuver around and find something that works well for me. I was just talking about @oplholik getting a 14-wrap coil to fit in order go get to 1.7 or 1.8Ω. Could be tough to fit in the CLR.

I want to experiment with the SS wire, but, in truth, I'm fine with kanthal if that's what I need to get the coil I want. I'm also not opposed to going below 1Ω if need be. One of my favorite coils is the .75Ω eleaf.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
@pufZeppelin is right, you can milk that coil for a very long time by simply rewicking it.
They really stuff the cotton in the stock coils.
A second vote for rayon here! :thumb:

I realize that I can go to Sally's Beauty Store...or Amazon...(or some place)...to get a HUGE package of rayon that will last me a lifetime...

But...until I've tried a couple wicks to see if I like it...

Is there someplace I can just walk into (eg. Walmart, eg. Ace Hardware) and buy a SMALL pack of rayon???

[There was a post in some thread (I've lost the link) that mentioned a specific Tampax tampon that contained only rayon.]

GranFumador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
I realize that I can go to Sally's Beauty Store...or Amazon...(or some place)...to get a HUGE package of rayon that will last me a lifetime...

Is there someplace I can just walk into (eg. Walmart, eg. Ace Hardware) and buy a SMALL pack of rayon???

[There was a post in some thread (I've lost the link) that mentioned a specific Tampax tampon that contained only rayon.]

Hi, Gerrymi,

SBS-580100.jpg

10 feet at Sally's for a buck ninety-nine.

I bought the lifetime supply, 500', for about $15.

Be sure to get the "cellucoton" that says "rayon" in the fine print!

GranFumador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Um...that says 100% cotton.
Right you are. When I ventured into the oh so female world of Sally's, I believe they had smaller than 500' packages of rayon, but I don't recall the quantity or price.
Amazon and e-bay have listings for under $5, marked "rayon".

The manufacturer makes a 40' box of it.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
[There was a post in some thread (I've lost the link) that mentioned a specific Tampax tampon that contained only rayon.] ..

gerry, you could walk into a Sally's, ASK one of the prettys in there to try a piece and I bet they would
just tug some off out of their box... (they just kinda waste it, no real inventory)

BE SURE IT'S RAYON - tell them ya wanna try so you might buy a box...

:)
stop smoking tampons

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
so everyones givin their $.02 about coils wrappin' and wick
guess here's my thoughts...

I like big I.D. so to stuff plenty of wick material inside (holds lots of wet)
the pics show same everything, just differant wire
it's my main build with exception, if I want to lower my Ω with kanthal I switch to 2.5mm I.D.

upload_2016-8-26_19-7-51.png

upload_2016-8-26_19-9-3.png

:evil:

Last edited:

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
so everyones givin their $.02 about coils wrappin' and wick
guess here's my thoughts...

I like big I.D. so to stuff plenty of wick material inside (holds lots of wet)
the pics show same everything, just differant wire
it's my main build with exception, if I want to lower my Ω with kanthal I switch to 2.5mm I.D.

View attachment 593477
View attachment 593485

:evil:

Nice charts pufZ...

For someone who has NEVER wrapped a coil before, has MINIMAL smarts, has NO "coil-wrapping" tool and does NOT own a drill (or bits)...

Could I use for "Inner diameter 3.0mm"...a toothpick...a Q-Tip shaft...a straw???

GranFumador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Nice charts pufZ...

For someone who has NEVER wrapped a coil before, has MINIMAL smarts, has NO "coil-wrapping" tool and does NOT own a drill (or bits)...

Could I use for "Inner diameter 3.0mm"...a toothpick...a Q-Tip shaft...a straw???

Six or eight weeks ago, I was in the same boat.

-Had never wrapped a coil, and was frightened that I'd screw up something so many other people could do.

-Had no fancy, or even basic, coil winding machinery.

Looked at my tools, which included a set of six small screwdrivers. ($1 at Dollar Tree)

image.jpeg

I had noticed competent, or seemingly expert, folks mentioning 2.5 mm mandrels. OK, I thought, 3/32" is 2.4 mm.
Close enough.

I had just discovered that I owned not one, but 2 coiling tools.

Have built many coils during these recent weeks. They work. It isn't difficult, and only the first one was scary.

Last edited:

GranFumador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Fifteen second example, not pretty, but functional:

8 or 9 quick wraps of ss 304 approx. 27 gauge.

image.jpeg

Then I compressed it with long nose pliers, and annealed over gas range, let air cool about ten seconds. Ready to install.

image.jpeg

OK. I usually take a little more time, and make a more æsthetically pleasing bit of wire, but I think you get the point: This ain't rocket science.

Last edited:

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
@GranFumador is too modest, he has done extensive experimentation with various wires, coils and wraps. :thumbs:
The Dollar Tree "coiling tools" is a brilliant discovery! The K.I.S.S. principle in action.
It really is that easy and the worst you'll get is a short the first time or two.
No harm, no foul!
Not to mention, he led me into the dirty underbelly of temperature control vaping. (For which I will be forever grateful)

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I make both slightly spaced, and full contact coils, depending on the distance I have between the posts. For a slightly spaced coil, I use a metric bolt that produces a 2.5mm dia. coil, and I wind it counter clockwise. I heat the coil with a small torch to set the coil wraps, then screw the coil off, and it makes a fairly nice looking coil. It comes out to a snug fit on the 2.5mm mandrel. Unfortunately, I can't say what size this mm bolt is. I forgot. Others can probably get a nice looking spaced coil with just the mandrel, but I spend more time tweaking it after wrapping it, so I just use the bolt.

P1020524.JPG

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Nice charts pufZ...

yepper @gerrymi, just like Gran has said, a lot of things around the house you can use...

it's no big deal, REALLY , that's why I (we) am getting on you about it
can't really do any harm as long as you stay inside the guide-lines (and all this time I know you know)
just wrap a simple 5-7 wraps around a toothpick (or similar), manipulate it INTO the coil body
then screw it on a device and see how it came out, then 'pulse' it A LITTLE (JUST TILL YOU START TO SEE RED GLOW)
if it is a little ugly, tweak it around some with the toothpick to make it kinda pretty (just so it's not touching anything)
upload_2016-8-27_13-28-10.png
upload_2016-8-27_12-43-7.png

upload_2016-8-27_13-3-55.png

when ya get back from bummin' some rayon from Sally's, grab ya some wire, something to wrap around and don't choke...

upload_2016-8-27_13-2-14.png

would we lie to you :eek::eek:o_Oo_O

:) :evil: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread