eGo-T atomizer: step-by-step cleaning and maintenance by Shaka Zuluf

Status
Not open for further replies.

zogu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2011
Beograd, Vracar
Actually i want to rewire bud tank atomizer which is very similar to ego-t, i found link for this thread from thread about cleaning bud atomizer. I don't know is it possible to completely disassemble ego-t, if it is then rewiring is possible. Soldering wires is not a big problem, i already repaired one with heater from cartomizer.
Now only missing part is a mash, it is very easy to broke it, i hope that i can find some spare mash, maybe desoldering wire, (something like this)
hakko_wick_7.jpg

can be used for mash, but it is from copper, i don't know does it react with juice.

cyndi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
nebraska
This is a real nice write up. I found it so easy to take apart and clean. My wick sure looked pretty! But it fell apart from the mesh stuff. Not to be deterred.......I grabbed another atomizer, took it apart, cleaned the wick, and put it back in the little plate. Couldn't for the life of me get the plate back in. So I tossed all the pieces in the garbage, and I'm happily vaping on my provari. Good luck to all you folks out there who can do this......I surely do think it probably is the best cleaning you can get. When and if I use the egos again, I will continue to soak them in alcohol every week for 15 minutes and rinse them with water, let them dry over night and dry burn them 5-6 times. Fail safe.. . . has worked for the last 8 months. Other than the 2 atomizers I threw in the garbage today, have only had 2 others go bad. They had great vapor, and easy draw so......must not be that bad.

@zogu:
If you have some old not working atties(510, 801, eGo or eGo-T), you should dissamble them and pull some mesh out. For example, in one eGo-T atty is enough mesh for more than 30 wicks ;).
If you dont have, send me a pm - I see that we are neighbours, I will send you.

@cindy:
you should wrote here before you tossed those atties, I am sure we would help you instantly.
Returning of plate is probably the easiest part of cleaning, you just got something wrong.

Last edited:

Stovepipe

Aug 7, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Excellent guide, unfortunately though I can't get the silly needle plate out of the atomizer. So frustrating. I've tried different sized screw drivers and needle nose pliers. I don't have a hemostat. The thing just won't budge. Grrrrr.

Edit: I finally got it out after a long struggle. The rest of the procedure was pretty straight forward. Despite my wick being in really bad shape (some strands fell out during the cleaning process) the atomizer seems to be vaping better. Even if this one has to be thrown away sooner than later, it was still worth it to experiment with this process.

I'll have more confidence next time. Off to buy a hemostat! Thank you very much for making this guide!

Edit 2: I got brave and did this on my 2nd atomizer right away. This one went smooth as butter. It is in perfect working order again, good as new. Whooo hooooo!

Last edited:

TTK

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Johnson City, TN
I have cleaned mine a few of times using this method and it does restore them to near new performance if everything goes well. I use a modified needle nose pliers to remove the plate. My hemostat did not work as well as the pliers. The amount of open space on the straight sides is quite small , so it is hard to grab hold of the plate. But, before I put the plate back in I make small cut-outs on the straight sides of the plate to make it easier to get hold of and to make future removal easier.

Stovepipe

Aug 7, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I have cleaned mine a few of times using this method and it does restore them to near new performance if everything goes well. I use a modified needle nose pliers to remove the plate. My hemostat did not work as well as the pliers. The amount of open space on the straight sides is quite small , so it is hard to grab hold of the plate. But, before I put the plate back in I make small cut-outs on the straight sides of the plate to make it easier to get hold of and to make future removal easier.

Good idea, and good to see another East Tennessean here! *internet high five*

Seanl

Dec 2, 2011
Pretoria, South Africa
Actually i want to rewire bud tank atomizer which is very similar to ego-t, i found link for this thread from thread about cleaning bud atomizer. I don't know is it possible to completely disassemble ego-t, if it is then rewiring is possible. Soldering wires is not a big problem, i already repaired one with heater from cartomizer.
Now only missing part is a mash, it is very easy to broke it, i hope that i can find some spare mash, maybe desoldering wire, (something like this)
hakko_wick_7.jpg

can be used for mash, but it is from copper, i don't know does it react with juice.

I got quite a bit of that mesh (from bridge and sides) out the side of an Atty around the heating element.
If you remove the pipe that the heating element and connector are in the element has a lot of it wrapped around it like tape.

mc8

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Slovenia
Hi all,

first of all, thumbs up for the author of original post. Nice job :)

I've done thiscleaning method for at least 20 times, and i always get the same result. Works like a charm for a short period of time and then i get the burned taste. What am i doing wrong? Still trying to find out if burned taste comes from the wick, or coil? Any ideas?

Thanks

mc8,
what is "short period of time" for you? Cleaned aty works good for some time(at least 7-10 days, for hard vapers). After that, you must clean it again.
If you get burned taste in less than 7 days you are either putting your wick too low, or using too dark/thick liquids. Or both.
Burned taste comes from liquid leftovers that are burning on coil. If your fiber/coil is clogged, amount of liquid that reaches to the heater decreases, so the heater burns that lefovers and you get burned taste. Check your liquids, I had the same problem with some too thick liquids. Beside that, there are some liquids that are leaving much more lefovers than others - those are in most cases very dark liquids.
Also, if your wick is too low liquid flow is bad - again, heater is not getting enough liquid and "dry burns".

Btw, right now I am trying new wick that I made based upon Bulli's video about preparing A2-T atomizer. So far it works great. I will see how it will act in next few days, if everything goes well - I will update cleaning process with this "new wick" part.

Regards

mc8

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Slovenia
mc8,
what is "short period of time" for you? Cleaned aty works good for some time(at least 7-10 days, for hard vapers). After that, you must clean it again.
If you get burned taste in less than 7 days you are either putting your wick too low, or using too dark/thick liquids. Or both.
Burned taste comes from liquid leftovers that are burning on coil. If your fiber/coil is clogged, amount of liquid that reaches to the heater decreases, so the heater burns that lefovers and you get burned taste. Check your liquids, I had the same problem with some too thick liquids. Beside that, there are some liquids that are leaving much more lefovers than others - those are in most cases very dark liquids.
Also, if your wick is too low liquid flow is bad - again, heater is not getting enough liquid and "dry burns".

Btw, right now I am trying new wick that I made based upon Bulli's video about preparing A2-T atomizer. So far it works great. I will see how it will act in next few days, if everything goes well - I will update cleaning process with this "new wick" part.

Regards

Hey, thanks for your answer. By short period of time, i meant less then one tank, and i get the burned taste.
I always dry burn the coil to the point, where it glows real nicely and does not produce any smoke from leftover liquids anymore.
I use only clear liquids, 60/40. Wick seems to be in the right place, but I'm a bit afraid to pull it out of needle for cleaning, because i had few of them fall apart. So i usually just burn the wick, and then flash it with water. Do you think this could be the problem?

Wick will not fall apart if you push it out of needle instead of pulling it out. Also, when you are returning it back to the needle plate, you should push, not pull from the top.
If you are still affraid of wick falling appart, try to move it just a little bit higher in needle plate. After just one tank you probably do not have leftovers to clean, am I right? It means that something else is causing burned taste.

You should first flush your wick with water, dry it with paper towel, burn it then put one drop of e-juice on it's bottom.
If your liquid is of adequate thickness - your atomizer should not heat while you vape. Aty becomes a little warm, but not very heated after 3-4 draws in a row.

chrysophlax

Dec 19, 2011
russia
Hi Shaka!
I have a problem with my ego-t. Any help or suggestion would be very appreciated. I tried your method to clean my ego-t atomizer. Your explanations was very helpful and everything went well except one thing!

untitled.JPG

I copied one of your photos and tried to point out the area that I wanted to mention about. The metal thing on my wick was broken. It splitted into three pieces. In any case i mounted the wick without this metal. It seems to work well now. But do you have any suggestion how to fix it? Can I use any other material like aluminium folio to bind the fibers together?

Regards

Sedat

zogu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2011
Beograd, Vracar

zogu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2011
Beograd, Vracar
Believe me, it can't be more difficult than in Serbia, we even don't have PayPal... If you don't want to buy it from previous link (or don't want to wait), try with de-soldering wick, it is from copper, copper is very neutral and i'm sure that you can find it in Russia in some electronic parts store. I posted a picture in this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ng-maintenance-shaka-zuluf-3.html#post4705422
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread