Ego-T battery exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
It's a mistake anyone could make. There's just not enough emphasis in the marketplace in general placed on how dangerous modern high-capacity batteries can be...and most people just have no idea, until something happens and/or someone gets hurt. I'm happy that only the poor eGo batt was harmed in this case! And i don't hold the OP in any contempt for this mistake, in fact i thank you much for posting about it, as it will help to contribute to awareness.

Janusxvii

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Yes I realize that now. In all honesty I work with electronics (both as a hobby and at work) a lot and really should have known better. I should have had enough sense to check voltage and current ratings but for some reason I was under the impression that EVERYTHING that is 510 threaded is essentially interchangeable and I suppose that is probably true up to a point (i.e. I can use a 510 cartomizer on an Ego-T battery... right) but still I should have known enough to know better than to even try it. I probably would have just written it off as me being a dumba** if it weren't for everything i've been hearing lately about batteries exploding.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I picked it up from my local smoke shop as part of a kit. The brand is neverlightagain.com

Januscvii,

Bring this back to the shop you purchased it at, speak with the owner, not an employee but the owner if you can, show him what happened please so he knows for sure what he is selling and that it is either the correct charger or it is not. I guess you cant make out at this point what it said exactly on the back of the charger ? like DC5V 500mA Output 4.2V 420 mAh ,,,,,,,,,,,,, either way make sure you always clean any liquids out of the end of the Batt before you charge, use the wall and an AC/DC-USB Wall charger that the USB cable plugs into. You where very fortunate man I'm glad you didnt get injured, you learned a valuable lesson though, you will always make sure you know what your charging now I bet and when using any kind of Batt weather it be an ego or one for a Mod that you are doing it correctly and have the right gear now for sure.

Last edited:

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
It's a mistake anyone could make. There's just not enough emphasis in the marketplace in general placed on how dangerous modern high-capacity batteries can be...and most people just have no idea, until something happens and/or someone gets hurt. I'm happy that only the poor eGo batt was harmed in this case! And i don't hold the OP in any contempt for this mistake, in fact i thank you much for posting about it, as it will help to contribute to awareness.
Right on. It's too easy to "trust" (assume) that all e-cig manufacturers work to the same 'standard'.

arcturus

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
San Diego
I believe all these chargers are 5V input, and should be 4.2 output,,,,,,,,,,, You should though ONLY use the charger that came with the Batt, some are different, especially some of the VV Ego type chargers, the ones from Longtootem are absolutely different then the ones for true Ego Batts. Glad to see no one got injured here, another case of user error, somehow we really need to educate people more on Charging ecigs, Batts, Chargers. ECF Moderators I think it is TIME FOR A STICKY ON THE FRONT PAGE STICKY= "" Battery CHARGING BATTERY EDUCATION PLEASE READ IF YOUR NEW TO ECIGS"" maybe we should make this the very first thread everyday on ECF as SAFETY SHOULD ALWAYS BE FIRST HERE !!!
I strongly support this thread being a sticky. You can never have enough safety.

illuxion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
oddly/sadly enough the majority of e-cig parts are made in China. I don't care what "brand", they are made in China. The level of consumer security from the manufacturers leaves a lot to be desired.

I've been ripping hair and heart out for the past year trying to relocate my company's production out of China because their lack of customer care ...... off a certain Korean electronics manufacturer(hint: THE largest electronics manufacturer in the world) enough times that this manufacturer demanded we pull out of our China sub-con or risk losing 40% of our business. Thankfully or new sub-con is in Thailand, and while the flood slowed things a bit, overall I have been quite happy moving stuff to Thailand 5555 (in thai: HaHaHaHa)

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I strongly support this thread being a sticky. You can never have enough safety.

NOT this Thread,,,, A New Thread,,, one that is at the top of the ECF Forum Daily about Battery Safety,,,, I also think every new member should have to read about Batteries and safety before they can join just like they have to read the rules of ECF.
This would just be a help all the way around to every member, just my personal opinion.

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
While on the subject:

I think a large part of the "awareness" problem is the scant or non-existent literature which accompanies so many products in the e-cig realm. It's not unusual (actually it seems to be the norm) for the end-user to receive a pile of OEM-packaged stuff with nary a document in sight pertaining to any of it. Happens to me with almost every order i make. Personally, I'd like to see vendors stepping up and including a little more documentation and information with the products they ship if not on specific products then at least a general warning flyer. Such a flyer could include important general safety info, (as just one example) something like- "Threading is not a reliable indicator of battery/charger compatibility. Fire and/or explosion may occur when using incompatible batteries and chargers EVEN IF THEY HAVE THE SAME THREAD PATTERN. NEVER connect or attempt to charge any battery with a charger unless you ARE SURE the charger is compatible with that battery".

Now that I think about it more, maybe something like this could be added to the ECF standards for safety? Such a flyer could even be standardized and posted here at ECF for vendors to copy and use. There are so many truly battery-knowledgeable posters here, i'm sure some would be happy to contribute to writing it. It would add to vendors costs a little, but perhaps such measures are needed to lessen the likelihood of someone getting hurt, and it also may be necessary to invest a bit, in order to maintain the future of the industry as we know it. There are plenty of entities "out there" who are just itching to either kill e-cigs entirely or to pile tons of restrictions and regulations and taxes on them, and I don't need to explain how much cost that would add to our beloved vaping devices. Or how "safety" restrictions could quickly go awry and become ridiculous bans (imagine a world where anything over 5mg nic is illegal *cry*). I really got off on a ramble here, heh. I'm just kinda thinking out loud, but i do think that something along these lines could truly make a difference (especially considering the size of the ECF-associated vendor presence in the industry)...maybe even save some lives.

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
The SD keyring charger is rated 5V output IIRC
If it came with the unit is is safe to use, knowing Trog. I have some coming in so I will know for sure.

In the case of the OP, yup eGo batts will not accept 5V. They are designed for 4.2V max and their chargers are rated at 5V in and 4.2V out @ 420mAh.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
I have made several suggestions about added user education and awareness. It is slow in coming, but I guess it is coming - at least I hope so. I met an individual last night that was using ecigs. He picked his up in a brick and mortar store, but knew nothing about it. He just ordered his carto's when he needed them and kept on vaping - I advised him to visit ECF to learn more.

pmoraldo

REO Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
NOT this Thread,,,, A New Thread,,, one that is at the top of the ECF Forum Daily about Battery Safety,,,, I also think every new member should have to read about Batteries and safety before they can join just like they have to read the rules of ECF.
This would just be a help all the way around to every member, just my personal opinion.
+++++++++++1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread