Ego-T battery exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... In fact, most Japanese manufacturers have slowly started to move all of their final assembly out of China for that reason...
Interesting, Panasonic is at this time moving more and more of it's battery production to China.

According to the Nikkei, Panasonic can currently crank out 120 million li-ion cells per month, of which 80 to 90 percent come from the battery maker's facilities in Japan and the rest coming from China. By 2015, Panasonic sees its Chinese sites producing approximately half of the company's annual output of li-ion cells.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Wish I could say I agree with you - but I haven't seen it. The goods I have seen coming out of the Chinese provinces are horribly assembled, usually. This happens even in "high-end consumer electronics". I have witnessed too many sloppy solder jobs, fuses tied indirectly to ground, and other such nonsense to say that Chinese manufacturing standards are high. In fact, most Japanese manufacturers have slowly started to move all of their final assembly out of China for that reason (the fact that China is communist is probably an excellent political reason for them as well). Ironically, you are correct in that American vendors are the ones pushing them for boatloads of low-margin merchandise, which could be the start of the vicious cycle...

I disagree. Sloppy solder jobs, indirectly tied fuses, etc. are a symptom of the production rates and low cost demanded by even the "high end" electronics manufacturers. Manufacturers relocate to China or locate there in the first place to increase their profits and/or meet the pricing demands of Walmart and it's ilk. If it means a drop in quality because they insist on ridiculously low production costs, then so be it.

Meanwhile, the Chinese manufacturers simply match the quality standards that the U.S. corporations have been teaching them is acceptable for 30 years. Why should they put themselves at a competitive disadvantage by demanding higher quality standards than the U.S corporations have been demanding of them for contract manufacturing?

The Chinese don't come up with these mfg. standards. They attempt to meet the demands of their customers, demand nobody on earth could meet without cutting quality. Now, in a perfect world, they could be honest and tell the mfgs that if they try to build a million units a month at the demanded price and with the supplied specifications, they're going to end up with junk. But they don't do that. The mfgs specify junk and they get junk. The Chinese don't argue about it, but don't blame it on them. They are capable of producing as high a quality product as anyone else. They just can't do it at the prices demanded by the manufacturers who contract them. And they won't do it in their own domestic companies because they can see that it's not necessary.

I've seen this go on for nearly 30 years now. The manufacturing cost savings in "high end" electronics go to the pockets of the corporations that specify ever cheaper components and even cheaper labor, all the while expecting more production from their Chinese contractors. Consumer grade stuff is cheapened even more to meet the pricing demands of Walmart and the other big box stores, without which the manufacturers cannot get sufficient market penetration to survive. So you can blame it on Walmart, and people who buy cheap stuff, as well.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Almost all 510 disposable, or almost disposable $10 kit e-cigs have the charging circuitry inside the e-cig battery. The USB "charger" passes 5 volts to the e-cig. Some are labeled, some are not. Use these with an eGo and you run the chance of blowing up the cell. Most eGo types do not have internal protection against 5 volts. The NEW eGo-C has internal protection.
Keep your chargers segregated. If you have one of these cheap kit e-cigs don't get the charger mixed up.

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Newbie here with little knowledge of electronics. Want to thank all on ecf for battery education. Have read the battery charging "TRUTH" sticky twice btw Not that I understand everything. But here's what I got:
#1. I only use the charging equip that comes together.
#2. I use a battery bag.
#3. Li-ion batts do not need to be charged 8 hours. When the light turns green, it's done.
How's that for simplicity. Did I miss anything important?

Last edited:

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Bishop, California, United States
Newbie here with little knowledge of electronics. Want to thank all on ecf for battery education. Have read the battery charging "TRUTH" sticky twice btw Not that I understand everything. But here's what I got:
#1. I only use the charging equip that comes together.
#2. I use a battery bag.
#3. Li-ion batts do not need to be charged 8 hours. When the light turns green, it's done.
How's that for simplicity. Did I miss anything important?

Don't forget the simple ones

#2a Place your battery bag on a non-flammable surface. (Tile or concrete instead of Great Gramma's 250 year old wooden china cabinet).

#3a Don't leave charging batteries unattended or take a nap while they are charging.

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Don't forget the simple ones

#2a Place your battery bag on a Inon-flammable surface. (Tile or concrete instead of Great Gramma's 250 year old wooden china cabinet).

#3a Don't leave charging batteries unattended or take a nap while they are charging.

oh yes thx. That too
Bullette says woof :•}

Wish I could say I agree with you - but I haven't seen it. The goods I have seen coming out of the Chinese provinces are horribly assembled, usually. This happens even in "high-end consumer electronics".
The Chinese have a saying when American buyers start viciously harping about EXW cost: "You want to eat all of the the fish, and leave us to only drink the broth." In short: "If you want to screw us on the price, we'll screw you back on the quality."

Your observations are probably a matter of exposure. I order from China regularly, from excellent manufacturers only. As well, I set-forth some very stringent specifications for my products. I also don't argue about pricing.

With a good rapport between myself and my sales rep, and a good line of communications between the both of us and the engineering department, I've had no problem with quality--and I do a sacrificial inspection on the guts of one of each model that's delivered to me, and a 100% quality test on each and every item.

My failure rate, to date, is 0%.

My next closest competitor in the same market segment has a minimum failure rate of 20%, which floats up to 50% on some line items. He buys on price, alone, and accuses me of being ripped-off by the Chinese.

While I pay 3 times what he pays for the same sort of products--yes, my retail price *is* higher, and it's tougher to compete on price alone--I'd wager that I'm holding a better reputation, out there, and have far more return business than he does.

I'll take 0% failure rate any day.

So, yes. The Chinese are capable of manufacturing extremely high quality products; *however*, if a buyer is not interested in anything other than greed, they will never be a participant in that process.

IMHO, people/corporations like that are just raping the consumer.

Last edited:

NaturesEncore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2012
Chicago
momsfortress.com
Glad no one was hurt, and that it was the result of using the wrong charger, instead of the one it came with. I use cord labels for all of my battery charger so that I don't accidentally use the wrong one, and risk this type of issue. I take the warnings seriously on the vendor's site, and ONLY use the charger it came with for this exact reason.

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
During my 6 months of vaping I haven't had anything weird happen until yesterday. None of my batteries ever felt hot while charging. Didn't know that I was holding a possiblity defective? ego twist battery yesterday when it suddenly became too hot to hold while I was vaping! Naturally I will toss it * and hope my other ego twists don't do the same thing (different vendors, so don't know where they are made etc.) *(after I take it apart to see the innards, out of curiousity, while wearing protective gear etc.)
There were no sparks, fire, nor explosions but it has certainly opened my eyes to the possiblities!

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
During my 6 months of vaping I haven't had anything weird happen until yesterday. None of my batteries ever felt hot while charging. Didn't know that I was holding a possiblity defective? ego twist battery yesterday when it suddenly became too hot to hold while I was vaping! Naturally I will toss it * and hope my other ego twists don't do the same thing (different vendors, so don't know where they are made etc.) *(after I take it apart to see the innards, out of curiousity, while wearing protective gear etc.)
There were no sparks, fire, nor explosions but it has certainly opened my eyes to the possiblities!

I'm so sorry this happened to you, seearching4answers!

It would be a huge help to others to know what atty/ carto/ tank... you were using when this happened, including ohms, if possible.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Ohms? duh sorry Natalia, I have no clue and not done enough research yet to respond to the Ohms question!
I was using an ego-T tank STD resistance type A atomizer/cartridge which had come with my original ego-T kit several months ago. I only use the little ego 650 mah batts with LR clearos or cartos because using them with the ego-T atomizer/cartridge setup gives muted/dull flavor. They are handy for putting in my small pants pocket at work for when I want vape breaks though.
The battery I was using yesterday that overheated is an "ego-C twist" (according to the little logo near the dial end (650 mah). I generally like 4.0 - 4.2 on the dial (I have acquired several ego twists over the last few months and have been enjoying them.) I don't have any meter readers or ohm tester thingys :facepalm: sorry for my nontechnical verbage LOL

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
Ohms? duh sorry Natalia, I have no clue and not done enough research yet to respond to the Ohms question!
I was using an ego-T tank STD resistance type A atomizer/cartridge which had come with my original ego-T kit several months ago. I only use the little ego 650 mah batts with LR clearos or cartos because using them with the ego-T atomizer/cartridge setup gives muted/dull flavor. They are handy for putting in my small pants pocket at work for when I want vape breaks though.
The battery I was using yesterday that overheated is an "ego-C twist" (according to the little logo near the dial end (650 mah). I generally like 4.0 - 4.2 on the dial (I have acquired several ego twists over the last few months and have been enjoying them.) I don't have any meter readers or ohm tester thingys :facepalm: sorry for my nontechnical verbage LOL

I understand. I was just wondering if you were using LR (low resistance) cartos or SR (standard resistance). Sometimes cartos (any carto or atty) can suddenly drop below their stated resistance for no reason. If they drop too low it could damage the battery. I've had it happen to me.

I'm not saying that's what happened. Again, was just wondering what kind of carto you were using at the time.

Thank you for the reply. :)

Last edited:

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I understand. I was just wondering if you were using LR (low resistance) cartos or SR (standard resistance). Sometimes cartos (any carto or atty) can suddenly drop below their stated resistance for no reason. If they drop too low it could damage the battery. I've had it happen to me.

I'm not saying that's what happened. Again, was just wondering what kind of carto you were using at the time.

Thank you for the reply. :)

Thanks for the info and now that I've read a few more threads since I posted, I think I understand :blink: but I go forward with trepidation and consternation :confused:

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
That charger doesn't look right for an Ego. My Joyetech Ego charger has an output rating of 4.2V @ 420mA.

i agree also,,that charger looks more like a "Blu" charger,if it is a blu charger that is what caused the battery to explode,blu charger work reversed of what an ego charger does,,in other words you hooked the + to - and the - to the +

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
I ALMOST got all the way through this thread before posting :)

I read about Chinese quality, proprietary standards, other reasons that just didn't make any sense at all, from people that probably should find other ways to run their post count up. The ONLY responses that made any sense at all was the recommendation to use only the charger that comes with the unit you bought.
Learning a little about chargers seems to be OK when about everything you own has a different charger. Five volt ones, 6 volt ones, 12 volt ones 19 volt ones. Do you charge your camera with your laptop supply? There are only a few different chargers connections used for cameras, cell phone and laptops. Why is it too much to expect to ask someone to use the correct e-cig charger? We've had incompatible chargers for quite a while. The 510 disposables have a 5 volt charger, some are only straight through wires from the USB connector to the 510 connector, some e-cig models have reverse polarity, some, like the eGo, use a 4.2 volt charger. Modders are now putting on-board chargers in their mods. What voltage input do you think these are going to take?
Blame Chinese quality, or the lack of it, but the American consumer is the weak link.

Glad the OP wasn't injured. But stay on topic folks. It was a 5 volt charger used to charge an eGo. The label on the charger SAID SO. No question about it.

For those that have some of those disposables in a desk drawer, do you known where all the chargers are? If not, one of them may be an accident waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread