Eheim filterpad mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I didnt even make it a couple of days. At first, it was good, but I found if the foam is not too thick, the liquid really does begin to flood the atomizer, even the thicker VG. I wasn't too keen on the taste that comes from the foam, it has an artificial taste that seems to make its way into the liquid. Maybe it's just me!

I switched back to the high loft polyester quilt batting and the straw mod. No more juice in mouth, no more flooded atomizer. Perhaps there is a happy medium, I don't know.

Best of luck to those on this quest!

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
what we in fact need is the inner cart to be made in a small labyrinth of passages or pin holed layers.
Without using any filler materials whatsoever.
I will get a few designs made in China then we can go from there.
This is a simple design question, but i have to find a more practical alternative.

Now we need cloths to wipe off excess liquids, syringes, tweezers, scissors, straws springs...
It's ridiculous...the stuff we need to try and accomplish a long lasting, non-leaking cart system.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Now we need cloths to wipe off excess liquids, syringes, tweezers, scissors, straws springs...
It's ridiculous...the stuff we need to try and accomplish a long lasting, non-leaking cart system.

I think you left out a few things ;) Honestly, it's fun and it's not at times. I am seriously considering just going directly to dripping, now I know why they do, tired of the bad taste from poor wicking, and liquid in the mouth. I've had some carts that were splendid, I guess I did something right :) And others that were horrible, some that seem perfect just aren't, and no matter which mod I try, straw, spring, needle holes poked in, etc. Nothing at all seems to dry out the bottom 50% of the 801 cart. This is going to be my goal, to get down to the bottom 25%.

On my way home from lunch I'm going to pick up some pyramid tea bags, I've heard people go on and on about them, and think it may help as other materials seem to have too many fibers that mess up the wicking with the atomizer. This morning, brand new filler, not too dense at all, spring installed in the center, my cart is giving me a dry atomizer flavor, but when I press down on the filler I see plenty of liquid.

Good thing we are persistant! :p

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
The tea bags are good for the smaller carts.
Don't even waste your time on the 801 carts.

I still think the foam works best of all till now on the large carts.

The tea bag works good on the small 501 carts..

First, even the way you hold the pv while drawing, can effect the flow of juice and the ingredients (ratios) in the juice, affects the way it flows. Plus, everybody "packs" the cart a little differently. And lastly, the 801 on teabags is working perfect for me. Just keeping it real folks....:)

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I found that the pyramid tea bags work good at first on the 801, but eventually they stop wicking very well and you are left with a lot of liquid left in the filler. Maybe it's just me :p

I'm currently working with the reticulated foam like the eheim filterpads, but by a different brand. The end result is something in the neighborhood of 36 drops in a cart, leakproof, something I wasnt able to do with the tea bags.

EDIT: BTW, the OP's mod does work spendidly, I just suspect that the fiberfill at the top of the cart may bring us back to some of our other problems with fibers getting into the atomizer coil causing wicking issues. Today I'm going to work with just the OP's mod and see how the performance is compared to just a mod with the reticulate foam.

We are definitely onto something here, most likely the best mod for the 801. I'm done with tea bags, straws, springs.

Last edited:

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
It seems all these fillers are good until the liquid warms up and it starts caramelizing the fillers and stiffening them.
Once these fillers have been saturated the first time, its difficult to get liquids go past them a second time.
You carry on testing.
May i also suggest the blue type reticulated foam which is smaller cell size than the white one!

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I am really having good luck with the large reticulated foam, even after a rinse and reuse. I think I am on the 3rd filling for this one cart, and it's working great. No stiffness in the material, after a hot-water wash the foam still looks as it did the first time, no melted areas, no discoloration.

funkybozu

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
I found that the pyramid tea bags work good at first on the 801, but eventually they stop wicking very well and you are left with a lot of liquid left in the filler. Maybe it's just me :p

I'm currently working with the reticulated foam like the eheim filterpads, but by a different brand. The end result is something in the neighborhood of 36 drops in a cart, leakproof, something I wasnt able to do with the tea bags.

EDIT: BTW, the OP's mod does work spendidly, I just suspect that the fiberfill at the top of the cart may bring us back to some of our other problems with fibers getting into the atomizer coil causing wicking issues. Today I'm going to work with just the OP's mod and see how the performance is compared to just a mod with the reticulate foam.

We are definitely onto something here, most likely the best mod for the 801. I'm done with tea bags, straws, springs.

i have found that if the fibers of the fiberfill at the top are fitted in
side ways the you dont get fibers in the atty, its a learning curve
that eerybodys going to have to do to get it right, not hard just needs you to teak it till yu get it, once you do then your good

funkybozu

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
im reposting my first pic cause image shack sucks and sometimes doesnt show the pic in the original post
funkybozu-albums-ecigs-picture2007-dscf3128s.jpg

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
I can't believe this hasn't caught on as the perfect cart filler material. I think everyone gives up without really trying to figure it out.
Well, I was NOT giving up, I hated the fluval and the batting. I hated the dry taste and I hated topping off every couple of puffs.
Here's what I do...
Cut the blue stuff the size of the cart, I use 510's, so I have the small stuff. I cut the 2 corners of the top (by the mouth piece) to resemble an arrow. (Not sure why but someone said to do it like this so I do)
Fill the cart almost full of juice.
Stuff the filler into the juice and push it down as far as it will go.
Continue to fill the cart almost to the top again.
Now, pull the filler up and beyond the rim of the cart, then gently push it back down to the edge of the cart.
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP TO AVOID LEAKING!
When you have it where it goes, take your tweezers and make sure the filler doesn't have any dents from your tweezers. This is why you pull it up past the rim. If it lays nice and flat, no leaking! I swear, I've been using this since the first post and love it.
The topping off is not near what it was for the fluval, taste of liquid is great and best of all, no burnt taste!!!
Try it! I'll never use anything else.
Forgot to mention, you just wash them with warm water, let dry and reuse. I'm using the same ones I started with about 6 weeks ago.
PM me if you have any questions, this is definately worth trying!

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
Do you cut the foam to be a "perfect" fit for the cart (width & depth)? For height, do you cut the foam even with the edge of the cart or do you keep it recessed about 1/8" like pre-filled carts?

I also prefer to use the 901 carts with my 510? Do you use this with them? And if so, same questions as above.

Thanks! I think we are all looking for the perfect solution! I actually drilled a vent hole in a cart the other day trying to get better wicking. While it did work, it still isn't the "perfect" solution. I've tried fluval, which is okay, and I am willing to try this foam too. Just want more specifics.

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
Kevin I just went and measured one, they all look a little different, it measured 1/2" X 3/4" with the edges toward the mouth piece clipped off a little. This makes it a little bigger than the cart but this helps with the seal and keeps it from leaking. As for length, I stuck my tweezers into the cart, marked it with my finger and cut the foam the same size. If it sticks out I just cut it off while in the cart. It's so easy and actually precise measurements aren't necessary once you start cutting.
It was all trial and error for awhile but then I realized it was the seal that was the most important thing to stop leakage. Every now and then I get in a hurry and it does leak a little but it far outweighs the alternative.
Let me know how it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread