Eheim filterpad mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
I plan on getting some of this today, so long as the local pet shop sells it. I think there are two, so hopefully one of them has it.

The reason why I asked about the size, particularly the length, is because pre-filled carts are always short of the end of the cart. When I stuff them with fluval, I always cut it even with the edge of the cart, then tamp it down a bit (this helps me tell when it is "full" without running over the side).

It makes sense to have it somewhat snug around the sides to prevent leaks, but I have also seen people say that any filler that is too tight (compressed) causes poor performance. It can be very frustrating!

BTW: Do you use a straw mod with your foam? Just wondering.

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
No straw...
I also wanted to add, when you do top off, just smash it down refill and pull it back up past the top and back down. Usually takes about 5-10 drops to top off. Or just remove the filler and start over but don't forget the filler is holding some liquid and it will overflow if you add too much.
Good luck.

:D
so i really like my JS but i had a few problems with the ejuice not coming out properly.
this mod uses the straw mod and the spring mods concepts

dscf3128s.jpg

as you can see the blue Eheim filter pad is pretty loose so the air flow is good, it is also very springy so it always goes back to its original shape . in fact its so loose that if you don't block the entrance with the normal wick then the juice will run out of the cart, graet thing though is that with the normal wick at the end ,it just works, completly drains the cart :cool:
its like an endless perfect drip, ive been walking around with it in my pocket for a few days now and no spill, no leak:D

EXCELLENT Tip BTW, I'm gonna try it out, if I can get it shaped right lol.

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
When I cut the foam, it's rectangle shaped, then I just clip the corners off the end that goes towards the mouthpiece to make a point. Once again, I'm not even sure if this is necessary, just have always done it.
No rolling, I just squeeze it in my tweezers and insert. I would think the same method will work for the 810 but I only use 510.

When I cut the foam, it's rectangle shaped, then I just clip the corners off the end that goes towards the mouthpiece to make a point. Once again, I'm not even sure if this is necessary, just have always done it.
No rolling, I just squeeze it in my tweezers and insert. I would think the same method will work for the 810 but I only use 510.

Might seem silly to ask, but, do you put the pointed end that you cut downward in the bottom of the cart/mouthpiece or upwards, toward the atty side of the cart? just don't want liquid in my mouth if I can prevent it lol.

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
Got the foam stuff. Actually I also got a Fluval brand foam & some type of netting that resembles the PTB material JUST IN CASE. So far, that stuff is in my closet. :)

So here's my take on the 'Hot Magnum Foam Sleeves":

I didn't cut any angle on them at all. I figured I'd go for "easiest" first. I didn't notice anything bad from this.

I have a 510 but primarily use 901 carts in it. I filled both 510 and 901 carts with this foam, and for each one I just made it 5/8" tall, which puts the foam's height in the cart similar to pre-filled carts.

I put 12 drops into a cart and tried it. Seems fine so far. No leaking, but it did seem like the atty was borderline almost flooded, like perhaps it wicks a little too well. BUT, it is still working good and no leaks. And while it wasn't pooling when I filled it, perhaps with this foam filler you simply can't fill it too much.

I offered to pack my wife's cart with this but she is concerned with the foam melting, and I'll be honest.... the foam DOES have an odor to it. I also noticed that it recommended to rinse it out before putting it into service (for a fish tank), and I did do this before cutting it up (don't know if it was necessary or not).

I haven't noticed any funny smell or taste while vaping BUT I currently have a cold, so that means very little. I can tell you that the no-nic "Cherry" flavor I have isn't doing much for me though. That itself tastes funny to me. I had my wife try it and she said she couldn't really taste anything (I will take that as a good thing, because had she tasted burning or melting foam, she would have said something for sure).

I may need to switch to a different flavor though..... man this cherry flavor is nasty. My wife said maybe it was the cold. I guess I'll put it back in the fridge for a while. :)

Anyway..... to sum it up: So far I think the foam filler is an improvement, but I'll have to give it some more time. I really wish I didn't have this cold right now. I can't tell if the foam is giving off an odd taste. Anyone else notice that with this foam stuff?

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
Figured I'd update on this. I've dumped that nasty cherry stuff and put in some nic-free vanilla that I have used before. If you want my first impressions, just read a few posts up.

I like this stuff! For three BIG reasons (to me):

1) It is very easy to work with. For 510 & 901 carts (possibly others), the thickness of the foam is perfect! All you need to do is cut off a strip in the height you want, then cut into individual pieces at the correct width. I cut it a little wide for a snug fit. I cut them at 5/8" high for both 510 & 901 carts, but you could probably go a little higher. MY reason is that I like it to be shorter than the cart because I can easily tell when it is starting to pool (too full). That and I feel that if the filler is too long, then simply putting the cart onto the atomizer will squeeze a bunch of juice out and instantly flood the atty.

2) It is easy to clean. After that nasty cherry flavor I decided to start over with another flavor. This stuff pulls out, you can wash it, squeeze it, whatever and it doesn't get all funny and come apart or lose its shape like fluval or normal filler. When done rinsing, pop it back in with your tweezers. And no straw to fall out or put back in.

3) It wicks VERY well keeping the atty nice and wet, and does seem to keep topping off to a very acceptible minimum.

So far I don't notice any changes in the vaping flavor even though I did note earlier that the foam itself has an odor to it. This odor may even clear itself out after a while of use..... who knows. So long as I don't taste it in my vape, I don't care.

I haven't tried the latest PTB mod (or any PTB mod for that matter), so I can't give a fair comparison of that to this, but I can say that this seems to suit my needs and if the stock carts worked this well "out of the box", I don't think I would have ever searched for a better filler. So far, I am impressed. :)

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
Is there anyone out there that has tried this and the PTB mod? I'd be curious how they compare. I have never tried the PTB mod because, and I'll be honest, it sounds like a pain in the ..... On the other hand, this foam stuff is quick, easy and works VERY well IMO. I went 4 1/2 hours of vaping before I had to pull the cart off for a refill and every puff was like a fresh cart! And I may have been able to squeeze a few more drops in when I filled it hours earlier (it didn't leak or flood at all).

Perhaps the PTB mod works better, perhaps not, but you can't get any easier than this, that's for sure.

My wife is still concerned about the foam getting heated and still refuses to put it in her cart. As best I can tell, the atty bridge itself doesn't get very hot anyway, and I certainly haven't seen, smelled or tasted any signs of it melting.

I guess I can't say I am 100% sold on the "safeness" of it compared to polyester filling, but I do think it works great. OTOH, I have heard rumors of concerns with the PTB material as well.

HeyYouComOvrHere

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Maryland
Wow...I wish I could create a new thread but I am too new still. I think THIS method deserves a little more attention. So, I will just have to add onto this thread. :thumbs:

I guess I should start off by saying I am vaping one of those black 510's. I've only been vaping for a couple of weeks but I've been trying so many different mods for my filters. The one problem I run into every time is leakage and a LOT of juice still sitting in the batting or tea bag or PTB or whatever I've tried. Last night I decided to try the blue foam mod with one minor change. And I have to tell you, I created a new cart at about 5:30 pm EST, put in a total of 19 drops and I've been vaping the same load ever since and it feels like the FIRST vape of a new load this morning, it's 5:55 am. The BEST part of all of this is the fact that the paper towel this sat on overnight, is dry as a whistle. I think I've found THE filter mod to end all mods....lol.

I've got a digital camcorder and microphone and the whole nine yards but I haven't had time to create one of those cool videos everyone creates to SHOW what I've done but I don't think I need to...it's fairly straight forward....I think :D

Using the HOT Magnum sleeve foam I got at the Pet Store, I cut a piece that was 1 inch by 1 inch and washed it under hot water to remove that "new foam" smell...lol I used the scientific method of sticking my tweezers in the cart, held my thumb up to the edge to determine the depth the blue needed to be cut to. Then I cut the blue foam accordingly and then cut the end that is going into the cart first, towards the mouth piece in the shape of an arrow....well, not completely to a point but in a way to make the foam go into the cart easier. Then I cut the foam to be the same width as the cart. Did a little trimming so it would be snug but not "wedged" in there real tight. I slid the foam into the cart leaving about 1/8 of an inch between the top of the foam and the edge of the cart. from there, I first started stuffing it with my 100% poly fill I had from one of my previous mods....the foam kept pushing it out. So, I nixed that idea. I grabbed a PTB, emptied it, cut off the top and cut the bag in half. I cut it in a way that I had a double thick piece of the tea bag that I could roll. At first, I cut off a piece of the PTB 1/8 inch and began rolling it...what a pain in the ... that was...big fingers. So, I rolled the remainder of the PTB, stuck it into the top of the cart (the 1/8 of an inch that was still hollow on the top), eye balled the depth, pulled the PTB back out of the cart and cut it off there. Then, I let the PTB loose again so it would "unroll" into the cart mouth piece when I was done....I was afraid I would have this HUGE gapping hole for all the juice to come rushing out of the blue foam and AROUND the PTB. From here, I pulled the PTB out of the cart and started dropping my juice. If you take your time and let the blue foam soak it up, I got 16 drops into the blue foam. Then, I reinserted the cut PTB into the vacant part of the cart and began adding drops....about 5 or 6 more, I can't remember. Then I used my tweezers to pat it down a little and spread the PTB out a little to create a "mouth":w00t:, if you will, to wrap around the atomizer.

So, here I am this morning:sleep:, 13 hours later smoking that same cart, no topping off and feel like this is still the first vape. You know that first vape that is the STRONGEST tasting vape you get...it's heavenly...lol :hubba:. If this is REALLY confusing, I'll re-read it after I post it, I'll see if I can create a better step by step with pictures over the next couple of days....I run bingo for my fire department the next two nights and it will be tough to find time to do it, that four letter word called "work" precludes me from doing it during the day. :yawn:

Good luck everyone. Feel free to PM or post any questions. As for all the materials I used, I've used everything that was already mentioned in this thread plus the Lipton PTB (some sort of berry flavor).

As an aside for other newbies on a different topic, if you want more vape and more taste, go pick up some glycerin and the Lorann flavoring for the flavor you to taste more of. Then grab a 3 ml plastic travel bottle, fill it half way with your liquid, fill it the rest of the way with the glycerin and add a couple drops of the flavoring to a 3ml bottle. Shake it up and use THAT in your cart...it's REALLY good. Best way to maintain a better flavor, in my humble opinion. :pop:

Thanks
:thumbs:

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
Another success story. Hmmmmm. Out of curiosity, did you try this without any extra material other than the blue foam? I ask because I last filled mine just a couple hours after you yesterday, got almost 20 drops in, and no leaks overnight either and still going strong this morning. Although I am using a 901 cart on my 510 (started that because I have the newer atty that is slightly bigger than the old / real one and the 510 carts are more prone to leak with that anyway).

I'm not knocking anyone who is adding more (poly or PTB) to this blue foam. I'm just curious if it truly makes a difference because to me, easier is better, and you can't beat a simple one-piece rectangular shaped piece of foam for simplicity. :)

makdevo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Portland Oregon
I am using the foam sleeve in my 801 carts. I cut a strip and stuff it in the cart, fill it with up to 25 drops. It will drain completely before I top it off.

The best part is the juice flavor. It stays very flavorful all the while.

BTW
I cut the strip of foam like this

Width, same as the cart

Length, double cart length, then I fold it in half length wise, now the length is the same as the cart.

Stuff the cart with the fold going down in the cart.

Sometimes I fill it with the needle oiler bottle I have. that way it fills from the bottom up.

For the 801 having the large cart is what makes it popular. I really like to dirp with my 801, but sometimes you need a cart, the blue foam works great and it has never burned or tasted burnt.

I rinse it with hot water and press dry it in some paper towel after using it for a day or two. So far I have only had to processed two carts.

Thanks to who ever mentioned this stuff!

HeyYouComOvrHere

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Maryland
I did not try it with JUST the blue foam. To be honest, I was worried about the foam allowing TOO much liquid too quickly and in turn allowing it to leak. I thought about the foam burning but I wasn't as worried about that....I lit it with a light and it didn't simply go up in flames. So, I felt a little better about it. But I may try and take out the PTB...it does hold more fluid than I like, doesn't release as much as I would like.

But I tell you, I am REALLY liking this idea. create the one blue foam, wash it when it is dirty, reinsert it and be done. can you imagine not having to create new filters all the time? All you have to do is rewash the filter and reinsert it....AWWWWWWESOME!!! :thumbs:

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
I don't use the poly, works great for me and glad to see others are starting to see this as well. This is why I tried to restart the thread.
It's by far the best cart filler I've seen yet.
If you have any questions reread a few posts back and take note of the most important step of the loading of the juice. I've tested this method for a few months and I think this is the key to no leakage.

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
But I tell you, I am REALLY liking this idea. create the one blue foam, wash it when it is dirty, reinsert it and be done. can you imagine not having to create new filters all the time? All you have to do is rewash the filter and reinsert it....AWWWWWWESOME!!! :thumbs:

That's what I'm talking about!

I've looked at all the battery mods, nicostick, etc, and always thought.... what's the point? My battery might last 6 hours or all day, but I will still be topping off my cart every 20 minutes. Now though...... now I am becoming tempted to work on my own "nicostick". I like the one with the built-in USB charging. That'd be perfect for me. And quite frankly, being off work from a recent back surgery, I could use a nice project to keep me busy! :) I spend WAY too much time on this forum.

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
I don't use the poly, works great for me and glad to see others are starting to see this as well. This is why I tried to restart the thread.
It's by far the best cart filler I've seen yet.
If you have any questions reread a few posts back and take note of the most important step of the loading of the juice. I've tested this method for a few months and I think this is the key to no leakage.

Honestly, I don't even get that specific when loading mine. I leave the foam in there, fill it up, and put the cart back on. Hasn't leaked on me yet! :)

ournature

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
bologna, ITALY
i'm using this blu foam in my 801 carts from almost 2 months.
It works very well, no leak, great taste, plenty of juice hold.
My only concern is what this stuff is made of, would like to know that.
even if it doesn't look to melt you never know if it relapse something that goes in your mouth and lungs.
the fact that is electric blu is a little concerning too, would prefer to find that foam just plain white.
does anybody know what material is this foam made of?
It works better than any other filler i've tried so far, then would be cool to know if it's safe at least as much as the polyfill or PTB can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread