Eheim filterpad mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyYouComOvrHere

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Maryland
Ournature...

I actually discussed it with the teenager at Petsmart when I bought mine. Granted, she's just a teen and likely not a chemical expert but the bottom line was quite straight forward...if it's okay for the fish, it should be okay for people. That being said, there are so many chemicals that fish emit, I would imagine SOMETHING in those chemicals would break down the properties of the foam as the water passes through the filter. So, I say again, if it's good enough for the fish, it likely good enough for us. I'll see what I can find in terms of the makeup of the foam...what the exact ingredients are...heck, I worry more about getting pleurisy in my lungs than chemicals from the foam...lol

Peace

HeyYouComOvrHere

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Maryland
Unless someone comes out and says the blue foam is bad for me, I'm done shopping. I finally broke down and pulled out the PTB I have in my cart between the blue foam and the atomizer and all I can say is WOW!! :hubba:

Well folks, I'm going straight foam filter with lots of drops and the vapor seems larger :shock:, the flavor is REALLY strong :pervy: and I swear I think I'm getting a buzz :rolleyes:. I'm trying to figure which is better, this new mod or my DIVORCE!!! :D

So, my e-liquids have been shipped, my extra atomizers and USB passthrough have been shipped, and I've got myself a new mod...life is GOOD. All I need now is a Government run health plan....oh wait, Obamascare is about to take care of that too...lol.

All ABOOOOOARD....jump on the Blue Foam Bandwagon everyone....it sure seems worthy....

Peace
:pop:

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
I definitely need to try this. I use the PTB mod and love it, but this certainly seems like an easier (and possibly better) alternative. Thanks for the information!

I would definitely like to hear your results. As stated above, I haven't tried the PTB mod but have heard it was pretty much the best thing out there right now. I stumbled on this thread and decided to give it a try. I can't compare it to the PTB mod myself, but I gotta say I can't imagine it getting much better than this, especially when you consider how much easier this is than the PTB mod. It's easier to buy (have read that not all lipton PTBs are made of the same material), easier to understand, and easier to get it right. From what I have been reading, there is an art to getting the PTB mod just right. With this, I don't think it matters a whole lot so long as it's a decent fit.

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
As an aside, I should disclose I used the Marineland brand blue foam....not sure there is a difference. But I've also contacted them to see what ingredients are in the foam or if the foam has been treated at all with chemicals. Once I hear back from them, I'll let you know.

I will be interested in that as well.

I'm not even sure what all everyone is using. I think we are mostly using the Marineland sleeves. It may be the same material or similar as in the original post, but if we have all moved to the Marineland stuff, I wonder if a moderator can change the thread title or maybe we should start a new thread. One thing is for sure, the Marineland sleeves appear to require less cutting & work to get them to the correct cart size.

For anyone coming in late, this is the Marineland foam we are talking about:

Amazon: Amazon.com: #115 Hot Magnum Foam Sleeve: Home & Garden

Petsmart: Marineland Magnum Replacement Media and Accessories - Filtration & Circulation - Fish - PetSmart

(NOTE: For some reason I couldn't find it separate on Petsmart's site, but I went to the local store and bought just the 3-pack of H.O.T. Magnum filter sleeves. The Petsmart link above has more stuff than you need, but I included the link so you can see what the bag looks like.)

Edit: Well, my bag looks different but it is the same thing. Marineland Bonded Foam Sleeve. "Rite Size U Foam Sleeve". On the back by the UPC:

Bonded Filter sleeves PA0115-03
047431011533 (UPC #)

Last edited:

HeyYouComOvrHere

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Maryland
I use the Marineland brand also. Man I'm glad I reposted here, it's about time others see what I've been enjoying for awhile now! I almost gave up on the ecigs due to the old filler. Vape on, my friends!

Yes everyone...PLEAAAAASSSSSE be sure to give Storm the credit. I stumbled onto his post and just piggy-backed on it. It DEFINITELY deserves to be in the forefront. I know rho(I think?) has been busting his .... on the double rolled PTB filter and making videos but this one beats it hands down...in my humble opinion. I almost want to ask he make a video but it's pretty hard to screw up. Maybe I'll pull out my camera and take some pictures and upload them tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks Storm showing us all the light!!!:thumbs:

HeyYouComOvrHere

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Maryland
(NOTE: For some reason I couldn't find it separate on Petsmart's site, but I went to the local store and bought just the 3-pack of H.O.T. Magnum filter sleeves. The Petsmart link above has more stuff than you need, but I included the link so you can see what the bag looks like.)

Kevin...that's funny, I couldn't find it either...drove me CRAZY for a while....but that's a short drive for me:shock:

Okay, off to the fire department...got bingo duties tonight.

Peace

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
Kevin...that's funny, I couldn't find it either...drove me CRAZY for a while....but that's a short drive for me:shock:

Okay, off to the fire department...got bingo duties tonight.

Peace

I didn't even look online when I first got it. I just went to the store (it's a short drive for me as well). There's a lot of fish stuff there! It actually took me about 5 minutes just to find this stuff in the store, and I found the fish section right away! :) I just kept saying to myself, "They HAVE to have it".

At least I got it though. And yes, THANK YOU Storm!

ournature

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
bologna, ITALY
Every pets/aquarium/ store will have this blue foam, it is used as a part of aquarium filters.
There are different brands but i'm pretty sure they're are all (the blue ones) made of the same material.
Some of these foams have larger holes some thinner.
If you don't know which is better just buy both (they're pretty cheap) and try which one works better for your cart.

HeyYouComOvrHere

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Maryland
Well, I may have my first sign of bad news.....I woke up to leakage.

I made a new cart last night for a different flavor. I didn't think about it til this morning, the first flavor I was using, I wanted to add a few drops of flavor to make the flavor a little stronger. Well, when I did that, I ALSO added a little glycerin to give it a little more vapor, I read on here more glycerin will create a thicker vapor.

Sooooooo, I'm wondering if my new vape which does NOT include the extra glycerin is leaking because I don't have the thicker additive in the cart. Something to think about....

Ciao

ournature

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
bologna, ITALY

I made a new cart last night for a different flavor. I didn't think about it til this morning, the first flavor I was using, I wanted to add a few drops of flavor to make the flavor a little stronger. Well, when I did that, I ALSO added a little glycerin to give it a little more vapor, I read on here more glycerin will create a thicker vapor.

Sooooooo, I'm wondering if my new vape which does NOT include the extra glycerin is leaking because I don't have the thicker additive in the cart. Something to think about....

Ciao

You should always consider these two variable elements for a good vaping:
1. e-liquid viscosity
2. wicking properties of your cart

The thinner is the juice the more compact should be the foam in your cart.
You always want the filler to release the right amount of liquid down the atty mesh/coil.

just put a little larger piece of blu foam on your cart for thinner liquids.
i usually have my foam 2 or 3 mm larger than the cart size.
This works for almost every juice i tried.

KevinD872

ECF Veteran

Ciao

Could be the thinner juice, but I have been using some pre-mixed PG vanilla with no extra glycerin and I only had one leaking incident. I believe I simply over-filled the cart because I was trying to see how much I could cram into it. With "factory" stuffing, leaks are almost always caused by overfilling (when refilling). With custom filling, and especially with this type of filling, I think they are even more sensitive to overfilling. I also believe that having the foam go all the way up to the edge of the cart compounds this problem because when you put the cart on, the atty bridge presses into the filler. When a sponge is soaked and you press it, it will cause water to gush out. I have my filler come up short by around 1/8" of the edge of the cart, and the last two times I filled my cart, I didn't go crazy with it and wait for it to look full or start to pool. In fact, I just had to refill this morning (around 6:20) and I only put 12 drops in. I had previously put anywhere from 15-20 in. Since this foam filler tends to give us so many puffs per fill, I see no reason to push it and increase the odds of leaking.

Just my two cents and pocket lint. :)

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
Also, make sure you have a good seal at the top of the cart, if the foam appears off kilter at the edges, it will leak. That's why I always pull the foam up past the rim of the cart (about 1/3 to create a poof ;-)) then push it back in whenever I top off. I know it sounds crazy, but if you create a channel for the liquid, it will leak down through it.

ournature

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
bologna, ITALY
Also, make sure you have a good seal at the top of the cart, if the foam appears off kilter at the edges, it will leak. That's why I always pull the foam up past the rim of the cart (about 1/3 to create a poof ;-)) then push it back in whenever I top off. I know it sounds crazy, but if you create a channel for the liquid, it will leak down through it.

This is true.

HeyYouComOvrHere

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Maryland
I guess I should have stated clearly that I new the viscosity of the second juice was thinner and it would leak easier...that's what I was trying to say I thought was the reason.

I will try and work on at least some pictures this weekend. But in the interim, if you DO happen to mess around and create one, I created a little cheat...lol. After making my foam so that it fit the way I wanted, I pulled it out, put it down on a piece of paper and drew an outline of the foam. Then I cutout the outline and use that as a template to create MORE blue foam of the exact size I want. NOW, I have five blue foams on hand for when my new empty carts are delivered...I'll be already to go.

schadoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
what in a fish tank surronded by water would heat this up to the temp we get it to in a pv? If used to filter water it may safe for humans because it is safe for fish, but that is using it as it was intended. What chemicals would I be breathing from this as it heats up? I am having wicking ptroblems , and cant seem to get the hang of drripping. Even I do I cant drip while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread