Eheim filterpad mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
what in a fish tank surronded by water would heat this up to the temp we get it to in a pv? If used to filter water it may safe for humans because it is safe for fish, but that is using it as it was intended. What chemicals would I be breathing from this as it heats up? I am having wicking ptroblems , and cant seem to get the hang of drripping. Even I do I cant drip while driving.

That's definitely a valid concern. I wonder that myself, and for this reason, my wife won't use it. All we really know from this thread is that nobody has noticed any strange flavor or burning odor while using this for filler. Also, one or two people have literally tried to burn it. One stated that "we would know if it was burning in the e-cig" (it must smell very bad) and another said it was difficult to light.

I try to make sure that I keep it wet. I can usually tell when I am almost out of juice because the taste changes. BUT, I get that same taste with normal filler as well when it is low. Just a slight "burned" taste. Also happens with a drying or dry atomizer.

A while back when I was experimenting with various things, I actually held a cheap plastic straw to the atomizer BRIDGE while burning the atty and the straw did not melt. I don't know how hot the atomizer bridge gets (the part that touches the cart stuffing/filler) but I know it doesn't get as hot as the atty coil itself. Makes me feel a little better anyway. :)

I do hope it is safe because honestly this stuff makes a HUGE difference in wicking. I used to have to top off my cart at least 6 or 7 times a day and shake it like a thermometer to get it to wick all day long. Now I fill at most twice a day and no shaking like a thermometer anymore! It's an amazing difference!

Cowboy Dan

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Arkansas
Very interested in this mod, have tried various PTB mods, and while it works well enough, this seems way easier and an improvement even on the PET material. My concern, as many have posted before, is can it be considered a safe alternative to other wicking material? i certainly hope so. Kudos to those who have figured this one out.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
As an aside, I should disclose I used the Marineland brand blue foam....not sure there is a difference. But I've also contacted them to see what ingredients are in the foam or if the foam has been treated at all with chemicals. Once I hear back from them, I'll let you know.
Definitely looking forward to finding out what you find out.

I do hope it is safe because honestly this stuff makes a HUGE difference in wicking. I used to have to top off my cart at least 6 or 7 times a day and shake it like a thermometer to get it to wick all day long. Now I fill at most twice a day and no shaking like a thermometer anymore! It's an amazing difference!
I use the thermometer method, and it works very well for me.
So well, in fact, that I have not yet bothered trying the PTBs yet.

But I WILL try this if it is safe, because it seems that it will be very easy.

kellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2009
Binghamton, NY
I really want to try this (getting paid every 2 weeks sucks lol) I was looking online there are alot of diff rite size they seem to have letters. Which one is the correct one? I use a 510 with both 510 and 901 carts. I just tried the shredded ptb mod this morning works good but what a pain in the a**

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
I really want to try this (getting paid every 2 weeks sucks lol) I was looking online there are alot of diff rite size they seem to have letters. Which one is the correct one? I use a 510 with both 510 and 901 carts. I just tried the shredded ptb mod this morning works good but what a pain in the a**

This post should help. The short answer to your question though is size "U".

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/27723-eheim-filterpad-mod-7.html#post561417

cmdrmaxwell

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
The "great place" Ft Hood
i got some hot magnum sleeves, size U, and it is working so far. i have tried it in my 510 and 401. i got a mouthfull of you know what on the 401 and that is cuz i got greedy trying to fill it, but no probs on the 510. i did cut it longer than the cart but stuffed it in after filling the cart. i filled each one and just vaped away and its going on an hour and a half and 2 batteties changes later still going strong. although you guys out there will have to tell me if its only me and my diluted low nic liquids cuz i am not getting the throat hit i used to get on both. other than that i think i am a convert to this stuff. as soon as i get some higher nic liquid i think that i may have found the best cart filler so far. poly fill, tulle, organza, and the mighty PTB have fallen to the blue foam!8-o

ournature

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
bologna, ITALY
Everybody who tried this blue foam aquarium filter as a filler is pretty amazed of the results including myself.
at this point we just need to know what material is this thing made of and discover if it's safe enough for use with PVs.
I tried to contact some of the blue foam sellers around asking if they know what exactly if the foam made of, with no luck at the moment.
did somebody have better luck than me?
if so please share..

SquirrilahFish

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Honolulu
k so i just took the time to read through every post, I am a PTB pro, I have had great success and tried ab every PTB mod out there, the shredded works the best for me, but does leak some times. and isn't always consistent, when it works right, 15 drops, vape till its dry, but more often then not it doesn't when im at home i drip, best way to vape IMO, but at work I dont have the time to drip, (i spend alot of time driving) ive come up with my own ways to solve the leaking problem,(usually keep my 510 mouthpeice down when not in use so that the liquid doesn't roll out, only problem with that is when i go to vape the top is dry and I have to pack it to get some juice, and that can lead to leaking,
Since no- one has tried it, I will, today I plan on getting the HOT sleeve (whatever) size U for my 510 ill get back to you, once ive mastered it and let you know my assessment

ournature

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
bologna, ITALY
right now i was looking for some info on the blue foam composition and found this site on the web:

Poret Foam

there's a part where they talk about the composition of the foam ("what is Poret"), i don't know anything about chemicals and stuff so maybe somebody can look into this page and try to understand if this stuff can be safe or not as a cart filler?

kellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2009
Binghamton, NY
I am using the PTB shredded right now and it leaks and sticks to atty but it works great sometimes. I found some of the foam size u on ebay and ordered yesterday and it should be here by friday can not wait to try this!!!! It sounds so easy. As for being safe we are using poly fill and nylon tea bags actually how safe are these? If it doesn't melt or burn and you rinse it out real good it should be ok. I am willing to try anything to make the cart filling easier and last longer

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
right now i was looking for some info on the blue foam composition and found this site on the web:

Poret Foam

there's a part where they talk about the composition of the foam ("what is Poret"), i don't know anything about chemicals and stuff so maybe somebody can look into this page and try to understand if this stuff can be safe or not as a cart filler?

I would think that ANY foam designed to be used to filter water for a fish tank should be chemical-free. I think the only concern (at least to me) is whether or not the foam might release any harmful chemicals or vapors when heated beyond normal or acceptable operating temperatures (and whether or not this happens when used in our e-cigs). The foam in that link certainly seems to be pretty resistant to heat, but who knows if it is similar to the stuff we are using. Since so far nobody seems to have noticed any funny odor or taste while using this foam, I will assume it is safe for now unless I hear otherwise. But nobody is certain. Honestly, nobody is certain of the effects of inhaling flavorings for that matter.

ainako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2008
Southern California
I am using the foam sleeve in my 801 carts. I cut a strip and stuff it in the cart, fill it with up to 25 drops. It will drain completely before I top it off.

The best part is the juice flavor. It stays very flavorful all the while.

BTW
I cut the strip of foam like this

Width, same as the cart

Length, double cart length, then I fold it in half length wise, now the length is the same as the cart.

Stuff the cart with the fold going down in the cart.

Sometimes I fill it with the needle oiler bottle I have. that way it fills from the bottom up.

For the 801 having the large cart is what makes it popular. I really like to dirp with my 801, but sometimes you need a cart, the blue foam works great and it has never burned or tasted burnt.

I rinse it with hot water and press dry it in some paper towel after using it for a day or two. So far I have only had to processed two carts.

Thanks to who ever mentioned this stuff!

followed these instrucions for my 801 and it works BEAUTIFULLY! no leaks! thanks!

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
So I went to Petco and they have this stuff, and I did not see a type U style.
But they did have A, B, C, D, G, Z, and a few others I think.

Just my luck.

So anyway, why is the U style important, or is it?
I am thinking maybe other sizes might work even better, or maybe worse.

Perhaps some other vapers beat you to it! :D

I am not familiar with all of the styles, but the "U" size is a sleeve (as opposed to a block for example) and is very easy to cut into a good cart size with minimal effort. Other styles are thicker, different density, etc.

SolidSnake

Sep 9, 2009
MI, USA
well F me... I find this just after spending $10 on a shammy recommended for a different type of cart mod. (Not happy with it, BTW... It kinda works, without the stray fibers, but it doesn't want to give back nearly as much liquid as you put in it, and gives some really lousy hits.)

So you guys truly swear by this blue stuff? Good, consistent vapor, puffs a long time, good for tons of re-using, etc? Someone said they have to refill/swap no more than twice a day... Is this a common number? If so, how much do you vape a day, once in a while like the occasional analog, or every waking moment? Just how perfectly does the stuff have to fit in the cart?

This sounds like the nearly-perfect answer I'm looking for, but I'm broke as hell, and cant afford to keep wasting money on unsuccessful experiments right now..

cmdrmaxwell

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
The "great place" Ft Hood
well its a little more like 2.5 days but yeah it is lasting a loooong time. i have a 401 and a 510 and i alternate hit after hit and i am also a MAD vaper so it not an entire day but close to it! i have noticed that refilling is a just a tad difficult. i needle dropper would fix that but i just, and thats only with the 401 but since i always have a paperclip, a must w a 401, i just push it down and refill. the 510 refills w no probs. vapor is very consistent and it really empties out. like i said before the only thing i notice is the lack of throat hit and flavor, but that might be because i cut all my liquids and when i get the 36 mg in it should fix it. so for now i am convinced! i give props to the PTB because it was great for a while but now i dont have to cut, fold and shred. i just hope this one lasts, like you i am going broke trying all these other methods!8-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread