you want something corser than the white filter pad
the whole secret to the blue pad is it's springy honeycomb
pattern ,you get the spring and straw mod in one

Last edited:

Pumaman

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
After some research:

The Eheim (and similar pads) appear to be composed of an open cell reticulated polyurethane foam:

Patent:

Title:
Reticulated open cell filling material
United States Patent 7255917

Abstract:
Flexible filtering filling material consisting of pieces that are 100% open cell reticulated polyurethane foam. The pieces filter out the damp warm condition within the filling, haltering the proliferation of microorganisms, giving the product a more sanitary and longer life.

Safety info:

Health and safety

Fully reacted polyurethane polymer, CAS # 9009-54-5 (CAS registry number), is chemically inert. In the United States, no exposure limits have been established by OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) or ACGIH (American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists). It is not regulated by OSHA for carcinogenicity. Polyurethane polymer is a combustible solid and will ignite if exposed to an open flame for a sufficient period of time. Decomposition products include carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, and hydrogen cyanide. Firefighters should wear self-contained breathing apparatus in enclosed areas. Polyurethane polymer dust can cause irritation to the eyes and lungs. Proper hygiene controls and personal protective equipment (PPE), such as gloves, dust masks, respirators, mechanical ventilation, and protective clothing and eye wear should be used.

Liquid resin blends and isocyanates may contain hazardous or regulated components. They should be handled in accordance with manufacturer recommendations found on product labels, and in MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) and product technical literature. Isocyanates are known skin and respiratory sensitizers, and proper engineering controls should be in place to prevent exposure to isocyanate liquid and vapor.

In the United States, additional health and safety information can be found through organizations such as the Polyurethane Manufacturers Association (PMA) and the Center for the Polyurethanes Industry (CPI), as well as from polyurethane system and raw material manufacturers. In Europe, health and safety information is available from ISOPA[24], the European Diisocyanate and Polyol Producers Association. Regulatory information can be found in the Code of Federal Regulations Title 21 (Food and Drugs) and Title 40 (Protection of the Environment).

Chemically inert = good
Combustible with hydrogen cyanide as a by product = bad
Make your decision accordingly

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
After some research:
Chemically inert = good
Combustible with hydrogen cyanide as a by product = bad
Make your decision accordingly

Well, to me it sounds like it is only hazardous when it is burning. So far there has been no evidence of that happening in a PV. I agree that everyone should make their own decision on it. Having said that, I think I am going to continue to use it so long as I continue to see no evidence of burning.

Temperature-related stuff:
According to the MSDS on this type of foam, "Temperatures of in excess of 135°C encountered in any processing or other use will produce irritating or toxic fumes."
Source = http://www.dunlopfoams.com.au/files/Msds12.pdf

135 C is 275 F. According to this thread, the atty itself gets up to around 250 F and someone tested the BRIDGE (the part that touches the cart filler) at 164.5 F.

IMHO, the foam should not reach a temperature at which it would begin to let off toxic fumes, but as said above, draw your own conclusions. :)

Last edited:

Giz's Mom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Pennyslvania
OMG this stuff is the greatest. I found this thread last night so I ran right out and bought some today. It is great! I use a 501 and a Blu (with a 401 cart) and it works great in both. I kept telling my husband smoking an e cig was more like smoking a pipe cause I was always fiddling with something. I have used polyfill batting but was most recently using fluval. It was OK but not nearly as consistant as this stuff. I have always found the flavor is coming through more now (been in for about 6 hours) than it did in the beginning. Thank You for sharing this.

cmdrmaxwell

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
The "great place" Ft Hood
Thanx for the quick reply can't wait too try it

just tell me if you are still gettin flavor, it seems mine has cut out a little. vapor is great and it lasts but the flavor and throat hit are missing alittle with mine. also are you going to wash it before you put it in? i didnt.

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
i just use one side. seems to be workin pretty good.

Yeah, I just cut it off "one side" too. Although I saw someone mention doubling the length, folding it in half and stuffing it folded-side down into the cart. I tried this and think it works a tad better. In the end, I cut it just a little wider than the cart, and cut the length so that it is about 1/8" short from the end of the cart after folding (personally, I cut to 1 1/4" which is 5/8 " long after folding. I do this for my 901 & 510 carts). It seems to be less prone to flooding this way, but it could also be attributed to the fact that I don't put a ton of drops in anymore since I really don't need to. :)

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
just tell me if you are still gettin flavor, it seems mine has cut out a little. vapor is great and it lasts but the flavor and throat hit are missing alittle with mine. also are you going to wash it before you put it in? i didnt.

I haven't noticed any change in flavor or throat hit. To me it is similar to dripping.... not QUITE as good, but close.

SquirrilahFish

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Honolulu
k so i just took the time to read through every post, I am a PTB pro, I have had great success and tried ab every PTB mod out there, the shredded works the best for me, but does leak some times. and isn't always consistent, when it works right, 15 drops, vape till its dry, but more often then not it doesn't when im at home i drip, best way to vape IMO, but at work I dont have the time to drip, (i spend alot of time driving) ive come up with my own ways to solve the leaking problem,(usually keep my 510 mouthpeice down when not in use so that the liquid doesn't roll out, only problem with that is when i go to vape the top is dry and I have to pack it to get some juice, and that can lead to leaking,
Since no- one has tried it, I will, today I plan on getting the HOT sleeve (whatever) size U for my 510 ill get back to you, once ive mastered it and let you know my assessment

I cant find any, got to order online! Still loving my PTB though, I just remade som shredded ones, took the time to make them perfect, so far vaping great, not leaking anymore either, I am quite convinced PTB is the best, but we will see

VapinDown

Sep 16, 2009
I've been trying the PTB mod for a couple weeks now, it's definitely an improvement over the stock polyfill crap my 510 comes with. The vapor hit is consistent and doesn't require me to travel with a 5ml bottle of juice for frequent top offs - nice!!! But, it does have a noticeable "tea" flavor - I didn't really notice it at first, I was vaping totally wicked's cola flavor, but I gave my titan to a friend and he said it tasted like tea. I bought the Lipton Black Tea flavored tea bags (maybe that's the problem, I dunno). So, I'm going to run out and buy some of the Rite Size Type U Foam sleeves and see how the blue foam works. I'll post my findings later.

PTB - pros: good consistent vapor cons: tastes like tea, hard to make, gets brittle after a few days use from liquid heating, prone to leak

Also, I'm calling this the BBF mod for Big Blue Filter...

VapinDown

Sep 16, 2009
I've been trying the PTB mod for a couple weeks now, it's definitely an improvement over the stock polyfill crap my 510 comes with. The vapor hit is consistent and doesn't require me to travel with a 5ml bottle of juice for frequent top offs - nice!!! But, it does have a noticeable "tea" flavor - I didn't really notice it at first, I was vaping totally wicked's cola flavor, but I gave my titan to a friend and he said it tasted like tea. I bought the Lipton Black Tea flavored tea bags (maybe that's the problem, I dunno). So, I'm going to run out and buy some of the Rite Size Type U Foam sleeves and see how the blue foam works. I'll post my findings later.

PTB - pros: good consistent vapor cons: tastes like tea, hard to make, gets brittle after a few days use from liquid heating, prone to leak

Also, I'm calling this the BBF mod for Big Blue Filter...

Ok, so I just got done installing the BBF cartridge in my 510 and all I can say is...WOW!! I threw in a slightly used atty (cleaned), fully charged battery, and wow wow wow! The BBF destroys the PTB mod in my mind. There is absolutely no hint of blue filter taste in my mouth. In fact, I tried a combo fluid (part marlboro, part menthol) that tasted horrible after 3 drags using either the stock filler or the PTB, and it tastes great on the BBF cartridge. Oh yeah, it took all of 30 seconds to chop up a piece of filter, throw it in, and top it off with 15-20 drops. Definitely the best mod yet in my mind.

I read where someone folded the BBF in half, essentially doubling the amount of material in the cartridge. I understand why, but it doesn't make sense to me. More material = less fluid, and I haven't had any leaking issues going 1 ply yet.

BBF Rocks!!

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
Ok, so I just got done installing the BBF cartridge in my 510 and all I can say is...WOW!! I threw in a slightly used atty (cleaned), fully charged battery, and wow wow wow! The BBF destroys the PTB mod in my mind. There is absolutely no hint of blue filter taste in my mouth. In fact, I tried a combo fluid (part marlboro, part menthol) that tasted horrible after 3 drags using either the stock filler or the PTB, and it tastes great on the BBF cartridge. Oh yeah, it took all of 30 seconds to chop up a piece of filter, throw it in, and top it off with 15-20 drops. Definitely the best mod yet in my mind.

I read where someone folded the BBF in half, essentially doubling the amount of material in the cartridge. I understand why, but it doesn't make sense to me. More material = less fluid, and I haven't had any leaking issues going 1 ply yet.

BBF Rocks!!

Interesting observation to hear. I have nothing against the PTB mod, but as I have said in previous posts, I never tried it because it just sounded like too much work with random results. I don't personally know which is better, but I do know the blue foam works VERY well and certainly sounds easier than PTB.

On the doubling-up thing: Originally I just put in a single layer piece and it worked fine. Only had one leak because I got carried away, but did notice gurgling. While it wasn't flooded, I felt it was on the verge of flooding. After I saw someone mention they doubled it up and folded it, I decided to try it. While I suppose it may make less room for juice, I can still get quite a bit in there and the extra foam packed in there makes it more dense. The gurgling has definitely improved by doubling the foam. I don't really know which is better. I think it works well either way and it may even depend on how thin or thick your juice is (currently using PG, which is pretty thin). I would say try it both ways and see what you like best. It is a cheap mod, and you get PLENTY of foam and it can be reused probably indefinitely with a little rinsing/cleaning every now and then. :)

Last edited:

Cowboy Dan

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Arkansas
After some research:

The Eheim (and similar pads) appear to be composed of an open cell reticulated polyurethane foam

Well, I couldn't find the correct pads, but as I was cruising down the aisles at Walmart, I came across this

Amazon.com: Duck Brand 1285234 15-Inch by 24-Inch by 1/4-Inch Foam Air Conditioner Filter

for 75 cents! Not sure if it's going to work, but it's a polyurethane foam with a honeycomb type structure. Stands to reason it might...I will post results later today if anyone is interested.

Cowboy Dan

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Arkansas
Ok, 10 minutes into it, and it works like a champ...problem is, I'm getting a weird tingling in my arms and on my scalp. Taste was great, no burnt taste. Don't know if it's because of the foam or not, but not gonna try it again.

My recommendation is, don't use this stuff (the ac filter foam), it's essentially the same stuff used in alot of matresses and certain comfort pillows, and people have concerns about toxicity of polyurethane foam even at these levels of use. Don't know if the aquarium filter foam is the same or not...if so, you really may want to reconsider using it.

Cowboy Dan

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Arkansas
I may give it a try...in structure, it is the exactly the same as the blue sleeves as far as I can tell. I really hope it wasn't treated with something that maybe the original foam wasn't. In any case, I'm not sure if it's related or not, but I do not recommend using the AC filter foam! Or any Polyurethane foam for that matter.

from Five Problems with Baby Mattresses (Toxic Chemicals) | Toxic Sleep

"Polyurethane foam, the predominant filling material used in baby mattresses, typically contains various problematic ingredients including chemical catalysts, surfactants, emulsifiers, pigments, and other chemical additives. These frequently include formaldehyde, benzene, toluene, and other well established toxic chemicals such as organotin compounds."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread