RDA EHPro Veritas build tastes bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhitt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2013
Houston
I purchased newVeritas rda clone to try out. If I like it, I will buy an authentic one.

Boiled and soaked the device in whisky to clean out themetal parts last night. Then I built a 0.8 ohm 26 gauge horizontal coil. Wickedit with Japanese cotton and started vaping. Flavor tastes off. I taste a strongmetallic flavor. I burned off the coil with a blow torch but it still tastesbad. I do taste the juice and the flavor is ok, but a strong metallic flavorpops up at the end of my vape. I have 3 EHPro Kayfun clones and they all had a metallictaste to them as well, but I was able to clean them out and the taste wentaway.

I like the device, good draw and lots of vapor but the tasteis not right yet, any ideas would be appreciated.

I also had to use a file to clean out the air holes andremove a lot of metal shavings that were still attached to the air opening. Hopeeveryone inspects there device before they use it. Those shavings would have causeda lot of damage if I had inhaled them. I remember reading another post fromsomeone with similar issues.

Attachments

• veritas.jpg
    veritas.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 502

manthe

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Winter Park, FL, USA
I know this is a very late response, but it definitely sounds like you have a hot leg issue with your coil. I also use a single, horizontal in my veritas and if you're not careful, that top leg can easily become long enough to fire. The way I fix it is 2-fold:

A - I do my best to keep the top leg/lead as short as possible (don't wrap it all the way around the pos. post, keep the coil sitting a little high on the air hole)
B - after I've run my 'U' wick through the coil, take another tiny piece of cotton and gently pack it on top of the coil and under the top leg/lead. This keeps the lead from getting hot enough to fire if the potential is even still there after step A.

Do this and I'm sure you'll agree that this is one of the best drippers out there!! It's certainly my favorite right now (has been for a month)!

PS - I did the same thing - trial with the Ehpro clone - then bought the authentic at my local B&M. Now I use both ;-)

drews0306

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Connecticut
I purchased newVeritas RDA clone to try out. If I like it, I will buy an authentic one.

Boiled and soaked the device in whisky to clean out themetal parts last night. Then I built a 0.8 ohm 26 gauge horizontal coil. Wickedit with Japanese cotton and started vaping. Flavor tastes off. I taste a strongmetallic flavor. I burned off the coil with a blow torch but it still tastesbad. I do taste the juice and the flavor is ok, but a strong metallic flavorpops up at the end of my vape. I have 3 EHPro Kayfun clones and they all had a metallictaste to them as well, but I was able to clean them out and the taste wentaway.

I like the device, good draw and lots of vapor but the tasteis not right yet, any ideas would be appreciated.

I also had to use a file to clean out the air holes andremove a lot of metal shavings that were still attached to the air opening. Hopeeveryone inspects there device before they use it. Those shavings would have causeda lot of damage if I had inhaled them. I remember reading another post fromsomeone with similar issues.

Have you found any solutions to this metallic taste issue. I am getting the same thing and have rebuilt this atty like 10 times...

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I would suggest for you guys to try a single vertical coil as opposed to a horizontal coil. That way the leads will be much shorter. I have noticed absolutely no difference in wicking between the vertical and horizontal coil. But with the vertical coil the leads are much shorter and therefore don't get nearly as hot. Even with a vertical coil make sure some of the cotton goes around the top lead to cool it down.

I also notice that a lot of people have too much cotton in their builds and are basically choking the air flow. Airflow is one way of cooling the coils...so you don't want to restrict airflow around the coils if possible.

drews0306

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Connecticut
I know this post is old but due to the lack of information on this issue I am making a post for others who have the same problem. The burnt metallic taste has not been from wicking or long leads in my experience. I am an advanced builder and this rda nearly made me lose my ..... After countless builds and tinkering for a couple days, I put it down and decided to pick it back up today. I discovered that the insulator in the clone has no threading like the peak insulator that comes with the authentic veritas. In my situation the insulator was not seating correctly because of the threadless design. Specifically, when I was screwing down the rda to a mod, the insulator was lilifting out of the seated position. The clone insulator just sucks in so many different ways. I do not have an authentic peak insulator so for experimenting I took the spare small black oring which is used on the bottom of the rda at the 510 connection. I placed the oring in the insulator seat at the top of the positive post to replace the sucky insulator. I reasembeled and threw on a coil. The metallic taste went away because the positive post running through the body of the rda is no longer touching the inner walls at the top. I hope this helps you guys who are having issues. I do not recomend using the oring as the insulator long term. I used the oring for testing purposes only. I did however order an authentic peak insulator with threading inside from fyreflyecigs.com. I can't wait for its arrival because even with the oring insulator, this rda is tasting very excellent. Fyrefly also sells the thumb screws for the positive post as well which I also ordered. I will follow up in a couple days when I reassemble with the new peak insulator. Happy vaping :)

drews0306

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Connecticut
Sorry for the lack of update. I have been dealing with a careless business owner who failed to ship my package for over a week. I listed the tracking information below. Paid for 2 day shipping and this purchase is going to be over 2 weeks before it arrives at my house. If anyone is thinking of ordering for fyrefly.com I would think twice and find a retailer with better service. Communication was terrible, execution was terrible. Hopefully the parts aren't.

Your item departed our USPS facility in FORT WORTH, TX 76161 on December 15, 2014 at 10:04 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

December 15, 2014 , 7:08 pm
Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
FORT WORTH, TX 76161

December 15, 2014 , 6:43 pm
Departed Post Office
BURLESON, TX 76028

December 15, 2014 , 2:14 pm
Picked Up
BURLESON, TX 76028

December 8, 2014 , 3:49 pm
Shipping Label Created
CLEBURNE, TX 76033

opensec

Verified Member
Oct 18, 2014
Indiana
Man, the suspense is unbearable ... I can't wait to find out if the proper insulator eliminates the metal taste to the veritas build ... I have the same issue but just dealt with it by using my magma instead, to be honnest I'm not even sure I really want to fix mine, I've paid $5 for it, the insulator alone with shipping would triple the price :)
In all seriousness, this metal taste is irritating, I had a peek on the Veritas potential, but never was able to sustain a good flavor for more than a few drags.
Can't wait for the marquis to be cloned ,it looks like a veritas without the building headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread