Ejuice calculator (added quantity calculations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Your recipe calculator is one of the finest contributions to this forum IMHO. I do have some suggestions, but feel bad to even ask since it's so nice as it is. Do what you wish with them (implement them or not), I won't be offended!

1) For drops, the sheet assumes 20 drops = 1 ml. You could have a box where the user can enter how many drops his/her dropper takes to equal 1 ml and use that in your equations.
2) For flavorings, often someone will say: 60% this, 30% that, and 10% other. This is obviously getting much more complicated (for you), but for the flavorings, you could support up to 4 or 5 flavors and be able to enter what percent or "parts" for each one with an extra box to "name" it so the user doesn't forget which one is which.
3) Maybe a separate section for plain PG and plain VG? A while back I asked what ratio you used and you said 80/20 (PG/VG). I plan to just pre-mix that and use for each recipe. Of course, if I have 48mg PG flavorless juice and make recipes, the ACTUAL end ratio of PG/VG will vary depending on how much of the nic juice is needed which depends on what strength each batch is, if you follow me. So a person could say, "I like a ratio of 80% PG and 20% VG. My PG nic juice is 48mg, and I want 20% total flavors. How much flavors, plain PG, plain VG, and 48mg nic juice do I need to keep the 80/20 ratio and end up with 15ml of a 12mg batch?

See..... now why did you ask for suggestions? :oops: I honestly feel like these suggestions are almost out of line and I owe you an apology! I think the reason for that is because your calculator is so handy that I can't think of any simple thing you could change to make it any better. Well, except maybe #1. For #2, even I could probably figure my way through that on my own if needed. And of course #3 is just ridiculous. While the end PG/VG ratio would change slightly in different recipes (strengths), I hardly think it would be noticable unless you were making it by the gallon! :)

One thing that is nice about your calculator is that it is easy to use. No sense in making it over-complicated.

Great Ideas let me see what I can do in the next couple of days!
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I downloaded the excel viewer and I can view it, but I can't change any of the values...is there a trick to it? So, I also downloaded the office and I can change the values in it. I don't have a clue what I am doing yet....but I will keep working at it!
Thanks so much for all your help everyone! :)

I am glad you got it going, if you have more questions you can PM me anytime.
Dan

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
I downloaded the excel viewer and I can view it, but I can't change any of the values...is there a trick to it? So, I also downloaded the office and I can change the values in it. I don't have a clue what I am doing yet....but I will keep working at it!
Thanks so much for all your help everyone! :)

Like Dan said, glad you were able to get it working. As for the Excel viewer, I wonder if that is just a limitation in it. Maybe it is meant strictly for viewing someone else's work (such as a chart) but there is no way to change anything. Kind of like the difference between Adobe's Acrobat Reader (for PDFs) and Acrobat professional. You can't make any changes to a PDF in the free reader.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Your recipe calculator is one of the finest contributions to this forum IMHO. I do have some suggestions, but feel bad to even ask since it's so nice as it is. Do what you wish with them (implement them or not), I won't be offended!

1) For drops, the sheet assumes 20 drops = 1 ml. You could have a box where the user can enter how many drops his/her dropper takes to equal 1 ml and use that in your equations.
2) For flavorings, often someone will say: 60% this, 30% that, and 10% other. This is obviously getting much more complicated (for you), but for the flavorings, you could support up to 4 or 5 flavors and be able to enter what percent or "parts" for each one with an extra box to "name" it so the user doesn't forget which one is which.
3) Maybe a separate section for plain PG and plain VG? A while back I asked what ratio you used and you said 80/20 (PG/VG). I plan to just pre-mix that and use for each recipe. Of course, if I have 48mg PG flavorless juice and make recipes, the ACTUAL end ratio of PG/VG will vary depending on how much of the nic juice is needed which depends on what strength each batch is, if you follow me. So a person could say, "I like a ratio of 80% PG and 20% VG. My PG nic juice is 48mg, and I want 20% total flavors. How much flavors, plain PG, plain VG, and 48mg nic juice do I need to keep the 80/20 ratio and end up with 15ml of a 12mg batch?

See..... now why did you ask for suggestions? :oops: I honestly feel like these suggestions are almost out of line and I owe you an apology! I think the reason for that is because your calculator is so handy that I can't think of any simple thing you could change to make it any better. Well, except maybe #1. For #2, even I could probably figure my way through that on my own if needed. And of course #3 is just ridiculous. While the end PG/VG ratio would change slightly in different recipes (strengths), I hardly think it would be noticable unless you were making it by the gallon! :)

One thing that is nice about your calculator is that it is easy to use. No sense in making it over-complicated.

Ok you asked for it so here is is!
What’s new in V6:
Added a manual user entry cell, so users can now define how many drops equal 1ml.
Added Section 5: The flavor list, users can now enter the name of the flavor(s) up to 5, that they are working with to make up their recipe. The percents entered must be equal to 100% of the total percent defined in section 2. A color go no-go field will tell you if you are over or under the target % of flavoring.
Added Section 6: This is where you can add the % amount of VG to you mixes. This is based on the unflavored nic ejuice being PG based. The %VG ml indicator will tell you if you exceed the maximum no nic PG/VG you can add by turning red.
Added Second worksheet that has the links and list of all three major flavor manufactures Lorann, Cappella, and Bickfords.

Ejuice Calculator V6

Any More ideas out there?
Hope you like it
Dan

Last edited:

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
What’s new in V6:...Any More ideas out there?
Hope you like it
Dan

I'd really appreciate if V7 included a Lottery Wheeler that worked! :evil:

All joking aside, these calculator refinements are great Dan. Can't imagine what else could be added at this point but I'll definitely be watching out just in case!

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
What’s new in V6:
Added a manual user entry cell, so users can now define how many drops equal 1ml.
Added Section 5: The flavor list, users can now enter the name of the flavor(s) up to 5, that they are working with to make up their recipe. The percents entered must be equal to 100% of the total percent defined in section 2. A color go no-go field will tell you if you are over or under the target % of flavoring.
Added Section 6: This is where you can add the % amount of VG to you mixes. This is based on the unflavored nic ejuice being PG based. The %VG ml indicator will tell you if you exceed the maximum no nic PG/VG you can add by turning red.
Added Second worksheet that has the links and list of all three major flavor manufactures Lorann, Cappella, and Bickfords.

Ejuice Calculator V6

Any More ideas out there?
Hope you like it
Dan

Excellent work! Every suggestion I made AND it's still super-easy to use! I think you are officially "the man", Scubabatdan!

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
My account at filesanywhere.com "was" free so it had a limit of 25 downloads a day. I have upgraded to a full account so downloads per day are now Unlimited.

Enjoy!
You may download as much as you want now!

Dan

Doesn't this forum offer a certain amount of space per user for attachments in posts? I know I have attached pics. My point is, you shouldn't have to pay for us to enjoy your hard work!

desrtrat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Ya know, it was hard enough for me adjusting to the fact that in this forum people are actually NICE to each other (that's just not normal on the internet haha), but then I see this. Another example of someone going above and beyond to help the rest of us out. THANKS DAN!! I've been toying with the idea of mixing my own juice and this little tool has given me the confidence to give it a shot.

Kat1355

Jul 17, 2009
Washington State
Awesome interview Dan, you did us proud!! Maybe if enough people see this and realize the value of e-cigs the FDA will leave us alone! You put a personal, and personable face, on the many of us who are so grateful that vaping has allowed us to put down the analogs that so endangered our lives! Yay Dan...the vaper that just keeps on giving! ~smile~

Dan,
Great interview. I almost teared up from it. Not the acutal interview per-say, but just remembering the people I know that have been affected by smoking. A close friend of the family died from smoking when I was six or seven years old. It was cancer. He had two children. I remember seeing him in the hospital hooked up to sensors and drips and such. My wife's grandfather died not too long ago from cancer that riddled his body. A lot of it was from smoking. I promised myself I would quit smoking after my daughter was born, but I couldn't put it down. I really didn't want to have my daughter see me hooked up to a bunch of sensors and drips because of my cancer riddled body. I am positive that this thing is saving my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread