EkoWool for wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Metropolis, IL, Earth
No mesh, the wire rope is dark from my trying to oxidize it and when the Ekowool is wet it get almost clear.

In the A8 I ended up taking the 2mm Ekowool out and tried the 3mm. I wasn't able to get both ends of the wick through the hole down into the tank. Would take a larger hole for that. With just one end of the 3mm Ekowool wick in the tank it seems to be wicking even better than the 2mm with both ends in the tank. Either way it wicks well.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
No mesh, the wire rope is dark from my trying to oxidize it and when the Ekowool is wet it get almost clear.

In the A8 I ended up taking the 2mm Ekowool out and tried the 3mm. I wasn't able to get both ends of the wick through the hole down into the tank. Would take a larger hole for that. With just one end of the 3mm Ekowool wick in the tank it seems to be wicking even better than the 2mm with both ends in the tank. Either way it wicks well.

Thanks for the feedback, I gotta get me some of this.....

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I have a request in for a sample from a US Supplier of Knitted Fiberglass Ropes. They're intended as gaskets in high temperature ovens/kilns. Seems legit. I asked for 1-3ft of 3/32 (I have an AGA-T). They have sizing going down to 1/16th in the knit.

Here's the site, they're fairly local to me as I'm in Ohio:
Davlyn Manufacturing Co., Inc. - Knitted Fiberglass Rope

Section1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Metropolis, IL, Earth
I have a request in for a sample from a US Supplier of Knitted Fiberglass Ropes. They're intended as gaskets in high temperature ovens/kilns. Seems legit. I asked for 1-3ft of 3/32 (I have an AGA-T). They have sizing going down to 1/16th in the knit.

Looking around the website I see they have a sleeve too that looks like Ekowool. I also spotted a "Hollow knitted stainless steel mesh" that looks like is available in a cable or rope. Wonder if that would be any better than the flat SS mesh we roll for wicks. Kinda off topic I know. Sometimes I think I should just stick with carto's and be done with it.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
This is how the Ekowool looks with a wire rope in the center.
*snipped*

Ooo have to get my hands on some of this stuff. Excellent that you can fit SS mesh in there. Don't have the ingredients, but I'd love to try going completely overkill on this setup. SS mesh in ekowool with ekowool wraps separating the coil and exchanging liquids between the inner wick and... *drumroll* .... an outer silica sleeve. Full surface area coverage.

Last edited:

occultangle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've been using this ekowool in a Kayfun mini recently. My take on it so far is that it does unravel really badly, but that doesn't seem to hurt anything. It stays together under the coil, and the unraveled ends seem to wick just as well as they do when they're still together. Comparing it to silica, silica stays together better overall, but silica always likes to break as I wrap wire around it, which I hate. There will be broken ends right on the sides of my coil. I am undecided on whether one actually wicks better than the other.

Overall, I do like the ekowool, and would love to find a U.S. seller of it. If anyone ever wants to do a co-op on it I would be in, or maybe we can make enough fuss that a vendor will pick it up.

Section1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Metropolis, IL, Earth
I've been using this ekowool in a Kayfun mini recently. My take on it so far is that it does unravel really badly, but that doesn't seem to hurt anything. It stays together under the coil, and the unraveled ends seem to wick just as well as they do when they're still together. Comparing it to silica, silica stays together better overall, but silica always likes to break as I wrap wire around it, which I hate. There will be broken ends right on the sides of my coil. I am undecided on whether one actually wicks better than the other.

Overall, I do like the ekowool, and would love to find a U.S. seller of it. If anyone ever wants to do a co-op on it I would be in, or maybe we can make enough fuss that a vendor will pick it up.

If the Ekowool is torched first it doesn't seem to unravel much at all and much easier to work with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Well, I received 2 samples thanks to a kind fellow vaper, and built a few wicks in the last 2 days. Here is what I have found:

Yes, it does unravel easily. This made working with smaller wicks more difficult, larger wicks not so much. Torching made it stiffer and easier to build the small wicks. Also leaving a little extra and taping the ends so they dont unravel while building helped. The just snip off the taped part.

The unraveling was actually a benefit in my Octopus.

I love the fact that it doesnt splinter as much while building. It was also quite smooth and silky.

So far the vape has been VERY clean. Gonna burn through it a few days and see how it ages.

So far I like it...... I believe it has its place in the Vape Box!

Last edited:

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio

So I got my samples in the mail on Saturday.

Initial Findings:

Seems to get really brittle after getting hit with torch heat, it chips into little flecks. Not sure if this is normal silica/fiberglass behaviour. Maybe I'm just not doing it right and can only give it a tiny bit of the blue flame to set shape.

Has little tiny hairs sticking out perpendicular to the rope.

The braid / rope itself is very smooth and flexible, it seems like it'd be great in any RDA, but due to the above notations I'll be vaping through some mesh over my drip tip as a filter for safety to see if anything flies off it.

The company sent me two sizes, 1/16" and 1/8". Let me start by saying these dimensions are horribly innacurate. They're only close to true if you literally stretch the rope to its thinnest. The way the braid is set the rope is basically hollow. The 1/16 is more like 1/4 and the 1/8 is more like 1/2 in its relaxed state. It might be difficult to use this material with a genesis, but perhaps with a stretch and a quick torch it'll hold its shape in skinnymode.

More to come.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I am rather liking the Ekowool "sleeve" type wick. I have capitalized on the hollow feature by experimenting with a new way of wrapping the coil that is giving good results.

First I threaded a toothpick (I have a nice metal one) through the center of the hollow wick. Then I wrapped the coil around the wick. The toothpick helped hold it all steady and makes wrapping the coil MUCH easier, it also makes a very uniform circular coil. Then once the coil is finished, I install the coil in the RDA, straighten out the spacing nice and pretty and briefly pulse it to maintain the metal memory, then pull out the toothpick.

Results: a perfectly formed coil AND the wick fluffs out inside the coil to fill the void left by the toothpick. It appears that it wicks even better, which I assume is because the wick isnt as compressed inside the coil allowing for better flow.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I really need to get my hands on some of the Ekowool. That toothpick coil sounds fantastic.

I have been playing with the "Toothpick Coil" some more and have found that a set of small "allen wrenches" works pretty good as well. The advantage being that you can select different diameters to suite your needs.

I am game for placing an order. The Russians have returned my email inquires. Trying to figure out how I can do it and not offend the ECF Mods. There are a lot of rules around co-ops or even selling multiple quantities of something unless you classify yourself as a "Supplier" and confine yourself to the supplier forums. The MOQ is small enough that I am willing to pay it up front as I am sure enough people want it, just not sure how I can list it, FS or Co-op or under the table. Would like to use it to gain some feedback credit if I am going to go through the trouble. Any suggestions from the veterans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread