EkoWool for wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomster64

Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
San Francisco
This is how the Ekowool looks with a wire rope in the center.
e9abegeb.jpg

It slid right into my mini DID and 'so far' is working out great for me. I torched it after I slid the Ekowool on the as rope and it held together well.
ady9y2yr.jpg

I'll give it some time and see how it holds up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

So, I'm not the only one doing that. I'm using SS rope inside some Nextel xc116 with ribbon wire wrap and its working great. Haven't tried ekowool yet but I'm going 2 order some right now. But the hybrid ss rope with a sleeve of nextell or ekowool is something else. No hot spots or grounding out, wicks fantastic so no more tilting. Vapes all the way down to the bottom of my tank. Here's 20130606_003029.jpg 20130606_003119.jpg some pics of the wicks I made. That's shrink wrap tubing on the end to help prevent fraying.

tomster64

Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
San Francisco
I put it around SS rope, but I only cover about the top third of the wick. Just far enough down to barely go through the deck.

It works well, no shorts ever, good flavor, but it seems to gunk up quicker than mesh and the flavor get muted as the Ekowool gunks up.

I know this is an Ekowool thread but it seems very similar to nextell. Have you tried Nextel?
I want to start a "hybrid wick" thread but haven't figured out how yet.
I'm kinda new to ECF.

Last edited:

Uno mas

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
San Antonio, TX
I decided to do something a little different this evening. I have been getting a little frustrated with the learning curve with ceramic (first time using it) and in the last 4 days have rewrapped it twice hoping each time for a better result. I have had great luck with my 400 mesh, great flavor and vapor, so I'm not a total newbie at this ;)

Anyway I was about to wrap it again tonight for the third time when I happened to look down at my Ekowool and a light bulb went off in my head. I remembered reading a post about sliding SS wire through it. Out of frustration of not being able to taste my favorite juice the last few days and not having any wire...

ejuve4ap.jpg

I decided to slip as thin as I could roll it (started with about 1/2 the normal width) 325 mesh through 2mm Ekowool :thumb: Let me be the first (hopefully) to say this was a definite patience needed exercise, I used a 20ga needle to go through initially, then a 16ga from the opposite side basically pushing out the first, then working my mesh in from the first end, whew.....

I left the Ekowool as long as possible so when finished the mesh was a 1/4 inch or so inside each end. I then torched the entire wick especially focusing on the ends. I then sniped one end about 1/8-3/16 of an inch from the mesh slid it into the tank, wrapped my coil and trimmed the remaining end. Pretty pleased, probably will not be a standard for me, but it was fun to do :D

Sent using Tapatalk and yes I probably should be working at the moment...

Last edited:

Uno mas

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Is the consensus to torch first before using or is they not really imperative??

Torching helps to control unraveling some and seems to stiffen it up a little. I didn't do it when wicking my dripper(s) though, just when using it to feed my genesis RBA. I'm learning too at this point with this stuff so someone please chime in here if it is necessary :)

Sent using Tapatalk and yes I probably should be working at the moment...

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Okay, just got some Ekowool in today. I would like to know if other than torching it, is there any other prepping that needs, or should or you just like to do to it before use.

I usually get some German silica that is amazing. When I get the silica I always boil it twice for 15 mins, dry and then torch before use to make sure I dont get any "off" taste. Thanks for any tips you all share:)

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Okay, just got some Ekowool in today. I would like to know if other than torching it, is there any other prepping that needs, or should or you just like to do to it before use.

I usually get some German silica that is amazing. When I get the silica I always boil it twice for 15 mins, dry and then torch before use to make sure I dont get any "off" taste. Thanks for any tips you all share:)

Let us know how you like it. I just ordered some today off ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread