All are welcome, step into the light...
tumblr_mo56z1mSaJ1s2rlbko1_400.gif

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
I am a recently evolved GS Air-head. Thanks to Kat and dplongo, I have finally found a "no hassle" vape. Thought I had it before with carto tanks, but for some still unknown reason cartos started tasting weird to me and not lasting more than 24 hours. That, after using them for nearly 4 years with no real issues. Go figure. Was pretty despairing there for a month or two. I did NOT want to rebuild coils (been there, done that). I was leery of clearomizers as I knew them..those things with the top coil and wicks. I wanted something that was no-brainer, tasted good, lasted a long time (some of my cartos in carto tanks lasted up to 3 weeks...running around 8 to 10 ml. a day through them. Do the math), no leaking, no "sub ohm", no BS. By June I thought I was looking at having to give up vaping...and thus opening the door to a possible return to smoking after 4 years. Depressed? Yes. Very.

I was talked into trying the iStick 20W, and experimenting with some of the clearo versions out now. One of the suggested tries was a GS Air. While the Aspire BVCs, and the Kanger tanks/coils I tried were fine for the first day...they didn't hold up on the flavor thing any better than the carto tanks had been doing to me lately. And I was having to fiddle. A lot. I HATE that! I didn't really give the GS air much of a chance initially...being stubborn I guess. But finally I put on a GS M tank, loaded a 1.5 coil in (after priming) and thought "What the heck. I'll try again. Don't have much choice at this point!"

Wonder of wonders....it tasted GREAT! I was running 85PG/15VG around 6 watts. Lots of vapor. So I think: "Sure. They all start out good. It'll stink by tomorrow this time!". But it didn't. Tasted great the next day...and the next...for over a week! I changed coils at that point, not knowing how to tell when the coil needed changing. Next coil was perfect too...and it lasted over 2 weeks (still running around 10ml. a day through the tank). Next coil? I'm closing in on 3 weeks with it. That is (at this moment) about 190 ml. of juice through the SAME COIL. Still tastes fine. Not quite as edgy and "new" tasting...but the flavor is good and very much still there. Vapor is too. I've had to "re-seat" the coil once or twice after dropping my iStick on the hardwood floor a couple of times. But no other "fiddling" needed (not sure I "needed" to re-seat even then...did it as a precaution to preserve the integrity of my coil).
I'm alarmed to hear from one vendor that the 1.5 original coils are "getting hard to find" and being phased out to the 1.2 cotton versions. I don't want 1.2!!! But maybe that was just that vendor. Not all of us want low ohm...some of us like a cooler vape! Oh...and I now have 30W and the 40W TC iSticks...not for more power but because they go lower watt and voltage. This gives me more wiggle room for accuracy. And those two models do run less hot than the 20W. On both of them my sweet spot (using the 1.5) is around 5.8 watts, 3 volts.

So that's my story. I've found my "no hassle" vape again. At least until the idiot powers that be take my 1.5 coils away. Then it'll probably be back to the drawing board. Or giving up.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Oh yeah...and I like the GS Air tanks because they are light, look good and are easy to fill and maintain!
Like the new digs in this new place... looks familiar.

Anyhow, the maintenance on the coils is certainly low and their performance is great... not so sure about easy to fill... those engineers that designed the fill mechanism must have been ill that day.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
From Old Thread:

@WickedWicks said:Has anyone compared the Subtank 1.5Ohm vertical heads to the GS Pure Cotton? I'd be interested in MTL experience not 20+W DL.

WickedWicks, 14 minutes ago Report
[HASHTAG]#15011[/HASHTAG]
@WickedWicks ... I'll give it a stab... That said, I've only used the one 1.5 ohm Subtank coil that my V2 Mini came with, so I don't have extensive hands-on experience with them.

Both coils have similar wattage capabilities. I personally like a good, warm vape and I used both at about 20-25 watts (yep, even for MTL). The Subtank coil is certainly a little airier, but not w whole lot... that smaller coil diameter restricts the draw pretty nicely. So from that perspective, it's pretty much a push, too. The Subtank is certainly easier to fill, not having that bloody rim all around the chimney (especially the Plus and Mini... the Nano has a small reinforcing bar, but filling is still a cinch).

Generally speaking, though, for a MTL experience I use the GS Air M or MS (depending on my mood and pocket friendliness requirements) because of one thing... I think (subjective experience, here) that the 1.5 ohm Subtank coils, even with their juice restriction devices and smaller diameter STILL provide too airy of a draw and wick just a bit too well. Flooding the coil is still pretty easy, especially with a thinner juice and at lower wattage levels. The draw can be further restricted with a tighter drip tip, but the coil is still sucking juice in just about as fast. I get a more consistent MTL experience with the GS Air clearos and 1.2 ohm coils.

Don't get me wrong... I love, love, LOVE my Subtanks and use them TONS, especially on temp control mods... but only if I'm in the mood to DTL vape (I'm split pretty even on vaping styles). They're still one of the best series of DTL tanks on the market, even with all the newer bling coming out. They simply work great... just not AS great with MTL.

Oh, and the vertical 1.5 ohm Subtank coils are a royal pain to rebuild. Really, really difficult, but doable.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Rebuild....:)
Absolutely not! If you read my post you'd see I do not want to "fiddle"...and rebuilding is "fiddling"! haha! I went down that road in 2013...it's not for me. When vaping, I want it as close to as simple as smoking was. I have other hobbies....vaping is no longer a hobby for me. But it is a pleasure.

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I am a recently evolved GS Air-head. Thanks to Kat and dplongo, I have finally found a "no hassle" vape. Thought I had it before with carto tanks, but for some still unknown reason cartos started tasting weird to me and not lasting more than 24 hours. That, after using them for nearly 4 years with no real issues. Go figure. Was pretty despairing there for a month or two. I did NOT want to rebuild coils (been there, done that). I was leery of clearomizers as I knew them..those things with the top coil and wicks. I wanted something that was no-brainer, tasted good, lasted a long time (some of my cartos in carto tanks lasted up to 3 weeks...running around 8 to 10 ml. a day through them. Do the math), no leaking, no "sub ohm", no BS. By June I thought I was looking at having to give up vaping...and thus opening the door to a possible return to smoking after 4 years. Depressed? Yes. Very.

I was talked into trying the iStick 20W, and experimenting with some of the clearo versions out now. One of the suggested tries was a GS Air. While the Aspire BVCs, and the Kanger tanks/coils I tried were fine for the first day...they didn't hold up on the flavor thing any better than the carto tanks had been doing to me lately. And I was having to fiddle. A lot. I HATE that! I didn't really give the GS air much of a chance initially...being stubborn I guess. But finally I put on a GS M tank, loaded a 1.5 coil in (after priming) and thought "What the heck. I'll try again. Don't have much choice at this point!"

Wonder of wonders....it tasted GREAT! I was running 85PG/15VG around 6 watts. Lots of vapor. So I think: "Sure. They all start out good. It'll stink by tomorrow this time!". But it didn't. Tasted great the next day...and the next...for over a week! I changed coils at that point, not knowing how to tell when the coil needed changing. Next coil was perfect too...and it lasted over 2 weeks (still running around 10ml. a day through the tank). Next coil? I'm closing in on 3 weeks with it. That is (at this moment) about 190 ml. of juice through the SAME COIL. Still tastes fine. Not quite as edgy and "new" tasting...but the flavor is good and very much still there. Vapor is too. I've had to "re-seat" the coil once or twice after dropping my iStick on the hardwood floor a couple of times. But no other "fiddling" needed (not sure I "needed" to re-seat even then...did it as a precaution to preserve the integrity of my coil).
I'm alarmed to hear from one vendor that the 1.5 original coils are "getting hard to find" and being phased out to the 1.2 cotton versions. I don't want 1.2!!! But maybe that was just that vendor. Not all of us want low ohm...some of us like a cooler vape! Oh...and I now have 30W and the 40W TC iSticks...not for more power but because they go lower watt and voltage. This gives me more wiggle room for accuracy. And those two models do run less hot than the 20W. On both of them my sweet spot (using the 1.5) is around 5.8 watts, 3 volts.

So that's my story. I've found my "no hassle" vape again. At least until the idiot powers that be take my 1.5 coils away. Then it'll probably be back to the drawing board. Or giving up.
j91v2c.gif

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Like the new digs in this new place... looks familiar.

Anyhow, the maintenance on the coils is certainly low and their performance is great... not so sure about easy to fill... those engineers that designed the fill mechanism must have been ill that day.
I use the little needle top bottles (both the blunt metal needle type and the long plastic snoot type "needle" top) and they work great! Never tried filling with a dropper bottle. Guess it might be tricky.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
I use the little needle top bottles (both the blunt metal needle type and the long plastic snoot type "needle" top) and they work great! Never tried filling with a dropper bottle. Guess it might be tricky.
That they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread