Eleaf GS Air Fan : Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
I'm declaring my first (partial) success rebuilding a 1.5 coil. I took the same coil that gave me such a hard time a week or so ago and started all over. Back then I got far enough along that I could get a reading on an ohm meter, but the resistance was very unsteady and slowly fell from 1.5 to .7 something before I declared it a fail. I also had one heckuva time getting the outer cap off but finally managed.

This time I got a stable coil at 1.31 ohms. Got the casing back on but still not sure it was perfect. Put it in an atty and it vapes. IT VAPES!! :thumb:

OK, it wasn't the smoothest vape. A bit of flooding at the start (underwicked maybe?) and still gurgling a bit, but the son of a gun was vaping...lol

I'll get better. I still think the outer cap was a bit crooked and the flavor was not as good as a store-bought 1.5, but I now feel like I can get there with practice. I'll probably just tear this one down and re-do it when the mood strikes.

By the way, someone recommended one of those magnifying lamps the other day. I meant to bookmark it but apparently did not. Anyone have a recommendation?

GREAT to hear ! !

funny how at first it's like - WHAT, I can't do this
now I can make them with my eyes closed and fast
it's all about how you hold your mouth... :D

- - -

I got one of these and " it rocks ! "
batteries OR cord

- DeskBrite™ 200 | LM-20 | Magnifiers | Hands Free

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
GREAT to hear ! !

funny how at first it's like - WHAT, I can't do this
now I can make them with my eyes closed and fast
it's all about how you hold your mouth... :D

- - -

I got one of these and " it rocks ! "
batteries OR cord

- DeskBrite™ 200 | LM-20 | Magnifiers | Hands Free
Thanks. Holding your mouth right seems to be a key in many areas of life. My uncle always swore that's why he was catching fish when I wasn't.

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods
I'm female,Cheech:)

:lol:
I was referring to myself. ;)

I have refined the art of unintentionally insulting folks. :laugh:
Perhaps the result of poor upbringing, yeah that's it, I'll blame it on my parents! :lol:

you're gonna have to try a lot harder - our frannie is not easily shaken :laugh: and that's a very good thing! :lol:

He talks about red meat, dog whistle issues like motherhood and apple pie and...

:lol:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
am I wrong sayin' (been awhile since I played with mesh)
that once you have that 'little' strip, taking sissors to it leads to 'fraying'
tends to pull threads out and comes apart...

:unsure:

I think sissors would be a lot easier... ?
Depends on how good your scissors are.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
Well,dang. I have a dead coil. Gotta take it apart again...tomorrow.
As someone who is making these mistakes right along with you, I'd recommend making sure both wire legs are in their proper place with the ends snipped very close, and that the coil itself is not touching metal. I think the first one I built was touching the sides. Tiny little space to fit a coil, isn't it?

Leopards

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2016
NE Ohio
As someone who is making these mistakes right along with you, I'd recommend making sure both wire legs are in their proper place with the ends snipped very close, and that the coil itself is not touching metal. I think the first one I built was touching the sides. Tiny little space to fit a coil, isn't it?
Kinda why I like rebuilding the TC nickel coils, they only have two juice holes which are 2 mm slots, makes it easy to position the coil by re-inserting the 2mm mandrel through the holes and the coil to help position it while getting the insulator and positive pin in place and clipping the leads! You can even re-wick the darn thing by just pulling out the old cotton and inserting a new wick through the juice holes! Only bad thing is the stupid manhole covers are (sometimes) a bummer to get back on right! You can rebuild them with whatever wire yo want to whatever resistance you want by the way, Kanthal 1.2, 1.5, 2.2 or Ni .05, Ti .32, whatever!

Nanny22

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Michigan
Took the cap off my coil and I can't see a dang thing wrong with it. Frustrated now and took it apart. Second try later.
I feel your frustration, Frannie! Hang in there.

dd4487b7bb5a6fd6e40ffde2f30ff165.jpg

Last edited:

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
Coil 2 meters 1.2. Away I go..............
Bingo! You'll be teaching a class before long, and I'll be your first student.

ETA: What gauge wire are you using and how many wraps? I'm happy with just about anything in the 1.2 to 1.8 range for a finished coil. Don't know that I can truly tell the difference in the vape.

Nanny22

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Michigan
Coil 2 meters 1.2. Away I go..............
How is it vaping, Frannie? You coil builders are heroes to me. Every time I think I am going to have to break down and give it my best shot, I just open another pack of my pre-builts and I am good for another couple of months. I'm a procrastinator!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread