Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
So, I decided to order an Eleaf GS16S because of other favorable reviews on this tank. I've got plenty of much more powerful hardware lying about and was looking for a lower powered tank to piddle with and for something that I could recommend to new vapers who I'm trying to convert to the dark side.

I ordered the tank and 4 replacement coils from Totally Wicked as I have a fairly hefty standing discount code with them. They carry the GS16S under their rebadged name BDC Tank Micro Clear. Doesn't exactly roll off of the tongue.

Eleaf designed this tank to be used with the iStick Mini (also carried by Totally Wicked under their rebadged name Curve Mini) and as such, this thing is TINY. Look at this photo of the device paired with my Ego One battery:

gs16s.jpg

The teeny tiny Ego One 1100 mah battery absolutely dwarfs this tank. It's really, really small. I decided to not buy the Curve/iStick from them as I wished to review the tank alone with a battery that I know inside out, but the Curve Mini kit that Totally Wicked offers includes the tank if you're interested in both. Wait for it to go on one of their infamous yoyo sales to get a good deal. I haven't found any other US vendors that have this particular setup. In fact, the GS16S is a bit difficult to find from US vendors in its own right.

Aesthetically, the device is pretty sharp. Officially, It's 16mm in diameter and 54.2mm in length from the bottom of the 510 connector to the top of the included drip tip (which works perfectly well but isn't being used in the review... I replaced it with a stubby delrin tip that I'm pretty fond of these days). I actually measured it at more like 56 mm in length. Still teeny. That makes the visible portion of the tank almost exactly 50mm. With the drip tip I used only 44mm is visible. Paired with the 52mm iStick Mini, that makes for a kit that's 96mm in length (102mm with the stock drip tip). Not bad. Everything is polished steel and glass and just generally looks really sharp. Totally Wicked took the libetry of silkscreening their logo and mascot on the device, but not in an obnoxious manner.

The tank is machined really well and came to me CLEAN. Zero machine oil or dust were present. A quick rinse with mild dish soap and this bad boy was ready to go. All the threads are nice and smooth and the coils (retained with a rubber o ring) fit snugly and securely. The drip tip has two o rings and fits well, REALLY well. This bugger is tight. That's good. Every tip I tried worked great without any issues.

Filling the tank (bottom filled, by the way) is a LITTLE bit cumbersome because of its diminutive stature. The two structural support bars across the bottom of the chimney block a fair amount of the opening, but if you have a bottle with a plastic pointy tip, it's not a problem. I tried it with a snub nose plastic dropper and it worked fine, though I had to be careful and take my time. A pointy nosed tip is really needed for convenience.

The tank screws nicely into every 510 connector I tried and fits absolutely flush. No issues here.

An item of concern may be the capacity (1.3 ml), but that's a give and take issue with a tank this tiny. Can't go small without losing some capacity.

What about the most important thing? How does it vape? What can I say? If you want a cloud chasing tank, this isn't for you. At all. If you want something that puts out a respectable amount of vapor and gives a nice vape, keep reading. The vapor production was surprisingly impressive, considering there is no air flow control and that the draw is pretty tight. I'd liken the draw to the air resistance an analog provides. That said, the vapor coming out of this little fella is also pretty well in line with the amount of smoke an analog would provide. Certainly nothing to write home about, but impressive for what this tank is.

Flavor isn't as good as with a sub ohm tank or an RDA, but it is really, really impressive (hate to keep using that word). It's certainly putting out TONS more flavor than a CE5 clearomizer or the like.

I mentioned the 1.3ml capacity earlier. It's really not a big deal though. This is a juice-economy tank, to be sure. I typically run through 5-7ml a day with my everyday driver (Ego One 1100mah and Subtank Nano). I barely went through 2/3 of this little guy's capacity (0.8 ml or so) in a day... every day I used it. Not bad. The capacity should be much more than adequate for most due to its juice sipping nature.

Coils? They're certainly easy enough to replace, I'll say that. Just pull the old one out, put a new one in. No fuss. They come in 1.6 ohm (what I used) and 1.8 ohm resistance selections, run about $10 for a 5 pack online, and last about 3 weeks before they poop out. And they do so IMMEDIATELY. One moment, your tank puts out a nice vape, the next, it tastes like that burnt coil poo that we all know. Still though, they last over 20 days and end up costing about 9 to 10 cents a day as such. Not too shabby.

The tank and coils wick pretty well for what they are. The 60PG/40VG juice I used wicked great with the 1.6 ohm coils I used all the way up to the 11-ish watts the Ego One provided and up to 16 watts on the iStick 30 with just over 5 volts at the wheel. Beyond that or with a thicker juice, dry hits galore. I imagine the 1.8 ohm coils work just as well. Not bad at all.

So what else is there to say? Not much. Who is this tank for? Not someone looking to cloud chase. Go get an RDA if that's your deal. If you want a SMALL, compact tank that offers good performance, pair this with a tiny battery like the intended iStick Mini and you'll have just that with a wattage range that this tank LOVES. Considering this tank's sub $10 price point, it's really a bargain and I recommend it fully, so long as you know what you are and aren't getting. This makes an AWESOME beginner's tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zelphie

staceybritt13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I love all eleaf products. I haven't been disappointed yet. I also own the gs16s and love the compact design and the fact that you can use this on a istick mini or regular size and it holds up to great standard. Couldn't be happier with this purchase or any eleaf products so far.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Agreed. It's not a good all day vape for me (other than when I reviewed the tank) since I primarily sub ohm vape and prefer a much more open air flow. That said, it's a great tank that pretty much anyone other than airflow junkies (like me) or cloud chasers (not so much me) should be perfectly happy with. Really, I was most impressed with the tank's flavor output and juice economy. Glad to hear you're happy with yours!

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
So, I picked up a few Flow C3 drip tips from FastTech and slapped one on the GS16S. It's a bit taller than my stubby drip tip, but it works really well. Fits snugly, draw is perfect. Incidentally, I installed one on my new GS Air MS and it really vapes a treat. Perfect complement to these nice entry level tanks.

Attachments

• 3262015163843.jpg
    3262015163843.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Still working on the GS Air MS review... this coil just won't die! For now, here's a pic of the GS16S with my iStick Mini and a replacement Flow C3 drip tip. Measures 98.5 mm from top to bottom. With the GS Air MS, it's pretty much the same, just a bit of a fatter tank. I measure 13 or so watts with both of these tanks on this 10w battery. Nice.
442015152340.jpg

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread