Eleaf istick 50w Owners Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telecastermaster

Mar 7, 2016
Hi Folks. New user here - thanks for your great forum.

I had been vaping basic ego type pens and wanted to upgrade to something better. I went to my local vape shop last week and got talked into getting one of these. I'm now wishing I'd done my research a bit first - reading lots of problems and horror stories about these all over the web. Anyway, I've paid the money now, so I want to stick with it and give it a go, but I think I'm noticing a problem already. It doesn't seem to be charging fully - I've charged twice so far overnight for around 7-8 hours and the battery indicator still only reads 3/4 full. I know the battery indicators on these things are notoriously unreliable, but I feel like I've not been getting a full charge out of it. I'm vaping an Aspire Triton with the 1.8 ohm coil (I tried sub-ohming and don't like it) and I go through around 3-4 ml a day. So far I've only had around a day and a half out of it. Does this seem normal? One of the things that attracted me to this was the potentially great battery life.

Also, how likely is it that this thing is going to blow up while on charge and burn my house down? :S

Reactions: JeremyR

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas

I had been vaping basic ego type pens and wanted to upgrade to something better. I went to my local vape shop last week and got talked into getting one of these. I'm now wishing I'd done my research a bit first - reading lots of problems and horror stories about these all over the web. Anyway, I've paid the money now, so I want to stick with it and give it a go, but I think I'm noticing a problem already. It doesn't seem to be charging fully - I've charged twice so far overnight for around 7-8 hours and the battery indicator still only reads 3/4 full. I know the battery indicators on these things are notoriously unreliable, but I feel like I've not been getting a full charge out of it. I'm vaping an Aspire Triton with the 1.8 ohm coil (I tried sub-ohming and don't like it) and I go through around 3-4 ml a day. So far I've only had around a day and a half out of it. Does this seem normal? One of the things that attracted me to this was the potentially great battery life.

Also, how likely is it that this thing is going to blow up while on charge and burn my house down? :S

Swing by the B&M you got it from and see if they'll warranty it for you. The 50w has been inconsistent from the beginning. My wife has my old one and will use it only when her vapor shark is on the charger. I don't let it charge unattended a trust issue with me and I don't think it has a peak voltage cutoff built in. Other than that it should lead a fair life seeing as you don't sub ohm the thing. Mine freaked below .5 but is just fine at 1.6 and I'm not real happy that it's still around. Can't get my wife to decide on a good back up so I can put it out to pasture.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL

Hey welcome to the forum! Great place here, be careful of you'll get hooked. ; )

Likely it's the cable man.. Most the time what happens is: the cable is being bent plugged into the mod up off the table. The hanging down causes the cable to short. Your phone still works with the cable because it lays flat. So be weary of that..if you have a non apple smart phone download ampre and test your charging accessories output.

You need a stout charger to charge this well meaning 1 amp or slightly higher.. Many are only 500mah and in my experience it just doesn't work well. Check the output on the adapter and use one that is 1 amp or at least 750. But if the cables are bad or chinsy they won't provide the correct power either. Mine never really took 5hrs with tested cables. (App called ampre) I've Had some bad cables leave me less than full overnight, partial shorting, charging stops and starts on its own.

Mine never had issue. I didn't have much concern just aware for any signs. The auto fire issue was the major problem. Leaving a mod that has auto fired on you, alone, charging with an atty wouldn't be good. Taking the atty off overnight is one thing that some people did as a precaution. But unless you notice it firing on its own I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't charge it on a pile of newspapers. Somewhere more fire resistant. One guy charges it in a coffee cup, I charge items sitting on the stove sometimes if I'm gone. Just in case.

Mine is sitting with a dropper on it the last 6 months in the cabinet, never auto fired or blew up. Just be aware for malfunctions, if none the worry is low.

Last edited:

Telecastermaster

Mar 7, 2016
Hey welcome to the forum! Great place here, be careful of you'll get hooked. ; )

Likely the cable. Most the time what happens is: the cable is being bent plugged into the mod up off the table. The hanging down causes the cable to short. Your phone still works with the cable because it lays flat. So be weary of that. .

You need a stout charger to charge this well meaning 1 amp or slightly higher.. Many are only 500mah and in my experience it just doesn't work well. Check the output on the adapter and use one that is 1 amp or at least 750. But if the cables are bad or chinsy they won't provide the correct power either. Mine never really took 5hrs with tested cables. Had some bad ones leave me less than full .

Mine never had issue. I didn't have much concern just aware for any signs. The auto fire issue was the major problem. Leaving a mod that has auto fired on you, alone, charging with an atty wouldn't be good. Taking the atty off overnight is one thing that some people did as a precaution. But unless you notice it firing on its own I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't charge it on a pile of newspapers. Somewhere more fire resistant. One guy charges it in a coffee cup, I charge items sitting on the stove sometimes if I'm gone. Just in case.

Thanks for the reply. I actually worked this out on my own in the end - after doing some reading I worked out that my wall adaptor was only rated .5 and so I brought one rated 1 and got a full charge straight the way.

However, while I love the battery life the istick would give me, I've decided to ditch it. It's performed fine so far and I know the risks are small, but my first child is due in a matter of weeks and I just don't want this thing lying around the house. I'm going to drain it and put it away in the case of a vape emergency and I have an innokin coolfire 4 being delivered today.

Thanks for your help though!

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I can understand that. Also got to keep the all the stuff out of reach man, the kids will love throwing your mod in a year or two. :) and of course the juice issue, keeping it away.

I think Its recommended to store lipos with a 50-75% charge if I recall correctly. I know dead is not good.

Well I tend to err to the 50w scare being a little overboard; for someone in tune with electronics and vaping gear you will notice a problem developing.. Then put it out of commission.

We've never heard if they ever made improvements to these. Would think so after a year, but who knows. Also there's lots of perfect clones that seemed to be made better or something possibly addressing an issue. Liquid getting in the button too much can make it auto fire.

Happy vaping hope you like the innokin.
Congrats on the baby. It's one heck of a ride my baby's 5 now.

Last edited:

Telecastermaster

Mar 7, 2016
Yeah I understand it's better for the batteries to be stored with some in the tank but I was thinking draining it would make it less likely to autofire in storage!

I don't know. I'm sure you're right and I'm over reacting somewhat and it does seem a shame to waste something I've paid money for, but I know I'd never be able to forgive myself for blowing half my face off just for the sake of getting some nicotine in my system! I just feel better being safe than sorry on this occasion :)

Reactions: JeremyR

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Yeah, I totally understand, what ever makes you comfortable for sure.

I still firmly belive no mod just explodes, heat will build first and be noticeable, batteries must heat a lot before the go into catastrophic failure.. So if any mod is heating up put it down. :)

Auto fire is only really an issue if an atty is on it, otherwise it basically doesn't fire anything. Nothing to drain or heat the batteries if you hold fire button without an atty.

Andy79Z28

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2015
Long Island
I bought a cheap metal cash box from staples. Drilled a hole in the side to pass charging wires thru. I keep all my mods and batteries in the box when not in use as well as charging them in the box they go. It was $15.

I have an I stick 50 going on 1 year now with no issues what so ever. I use it every day.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
New 50W owner here too - why does Eleaf put a .5 wall adapter in their full kit if it needs a 1 amp 1? It gets way too warm and makes me nervous - should I just set it aside till I can get a higher amp wall adapter?
When you say "it" gets too warm, do you mean the wall adapter or the mod? A little warmth is normal, but if it's uncomfortable to hold, whether the mod or the charging adapter, something's wrong.
That being said, there's nothing inherently dangerous about charging a 1 amp spec'd device at a lower rate, it's just that the adapter will be charging at its max rate.

Reactions: Dixie1954

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Charging at. 5 will add undue heat, mostly to the adapter and USB port. Not necessarily the batteries. You can do a charge to get it going. Maybe charge for an hour or two at a time only.

I found it needs at least .75 amp to charge in a timely fashion without excessive heat

As suggested many phone adapters are 1 amp now a days or at least 750mah. That would be best.

Quite a snafu to give a ½ amp adapter, maybe to save. 05¢

Reactions: Dixie1954

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I don't think there will be any damage done to the mod charging it at . 5 amps. It will just take 5+ hours. The wall adapter will get hot but not so much that anything should be damaged. The heat is alarming but it's not that hot really. I would use it for now, just charge when your around to be extra safe.

Reactions: xpen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread