Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
img_1174_e.250x0.jpg

I can't tell you how absurd this would look in my smaller female hands. Not that it's not nice. Just not for everybody.

I would barely be able to wrap my fingers around that.......and what is the weight w/tank on there?

I guess this is where vaping is going though........good for me, I just buy old stuff that is always going on clearance these days.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Pictures can be deceiving --- the Defender is about 1/8" circumference difference than the iStick and is about 1/2" taller due to the unique connector that can be flipped to be an Ego style connector. I think the weights are about the same too.

Race, it seems you have this device confused with one or several of the other much bigger and heavier "box" mods of the day.

Here's a size comparison of iStick20 and an older stealthy friend someone posted awhile ago:

wvmod3_zps783610b5.jpg

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
OK, I now have both a Silver Defender and a Silver iStick 30W.
I prefer the Defender, though it cost me $45, while the iStick was $33.

They have very similar electronics, same chip type. The iStick 30W
is more modern in that it has the Lock feature that the Defender lacks.
The Defender tops out at 25 watts, the iStick 30W at 30. But the
Defender is a little bigger and heavier, the battery is (?) 2600 mAh
rather than the iStick's 2200 mAh. The iStick now looks better with a
full size tank, as there's a lip that makes it look OK on the edge. The
Defender positions the connector dead center, I like that better. The
nice thing about the Defender's connector, other than being spring &
solid stainless, is that it flips over to reveal an eGo connector, so you
don't need to carry or install an adapter. Apparently both are good
in pass-through mode, and both use a micro USB connector to
charge from. The feel in the hand of the iStick is a bit light, it has that
Bic lighter thing. The Defender feels more substantial. The finish on the
two is very similar, the iStick have a finer-grained crinkle. The Defender
has survived for over a week of constant use, the finish is solid. I love
the Lanyard on the Defender, as I tend to drop off to sleep late in front
of the monitor sometimes, and drop my vape. Boing. The lanyard rules.

Both put out non-chopped flat DC when powering a load. I haven't
studied either under varying loads, but I did notice chop on the iStick
when the load was removed. I can't vouch yet for the accuracy of
the displayed voltage/power on either device, but I wouldn't expect
much. It's just a figure o' speech ;-) I'm not sure the iStick is really
much closer to 30 watts than the Defender. I don't care enough to
actually test them.

As more of the Defenders arrive, I would expect the two to be very
similarly priced. The iStick has the lock on the buttons, and 30 watts,
the Defender has the lanyard, the reversible 510/eGo connector and
a bigger battery at 25 watts tops.

The iStick is truly tiny, looks better with some atomizers, worse with
others, personal call. The Defender has a more solid ring, and with
today's massive RTAs, hosts them better IMHO, that offset looks
sillier as the RTA gets bigger. Of course who cares about appearance?

IMG_8299rxM.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Oregon Linda

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Pictures can be deceiving --- the Defender is about 1/8" circumference difference than the iStick and is about 1/2" taller due to the unique connector that can be flipped to be an Ego style connector. I think the weights are about the same too.

Race, it seems you have this device confused with one or several of the other much bigger and heavier "box" mods of the day.

Must've been the photo and glare on the way he was holding it.......I see it is thinner than it looked in hand.

Fernand, I do like the centered connector on that Defender. Nice review, by the way!

Last edited:

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
Fernand, thank you. That is very helpful information on the Defender, especially being able to compare it directly to an iStick 30. Any significant rattle with the Defender's fire button? (A common issue with many iSticks.) Do you think that 2600mah is definitely lasting you longer than 2200mah? If so, by how much? I too like the lanyard feature on the defender. I'd completely forgotten about it in recent days. I can see how it would be useful.

Tortus

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2015
I was looking at this today. The first pic I saw on the Captain Kanger site was taken from an angle that made it look cylindrical like an ego battery, which I'd prefer. Then I saw it's basically the same shape as the 30 watt istick I already have but slightly taller with a higher price and less watts. I like the center tank position and more powerful battery, but it looks like the 30w istick is still the better deal.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I can't tell you how absurd this would look in my smaller female hands. Not that it's not nice. Just not for everybody.

I would barely be able to wrap my fingers around that.......and what is the weight w/tank on there?

RH, for comparison....

The specs

defender:
35*23*86mm
4.3oz. without tank

egrip:
46.4*20.4*99.5mm
6.4oz. empty tank

istick 30W:
32.5-23*77.0mm
3.3oz. without tank

The height of the istick and defender will be greater with topper but they're both smaller around than the egrip.

here's the istick 30 next to the defender: (that Kanger eMow topper weighs 1.8oz empty.)

159261450.jpg

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
defender:

egrip:

istick 30W:

The height of the istick and defender will be greater with topper but they're both smaller around than the egrip.

here's the istick 30 next to the defender: (that Kanger eMow topper weighs 1.8oz empty.)

So Kent...you're headed out the door...plan on a little shopping at Walmart...having a beer at your local establisment...then home.

Which mod/topper would you take with you???

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Reactions: Katya

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
First I've heard of any problems. I searched 'heatvape defender problems' on google and the only thing I came up with is the pre-release some reviewers mentioned and all the things they didn't like were fixed on release. It's rare to find no problems on anything these days on google. I also have two without any problems at all. But I know it's possible. The reason I got the Defender is because of the problems with the istick 20W - problems which are all over this forum and elsewhere.

Pre-release Defender:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh6FImdFrSo

Post release:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7muQfIS3USk

Reactions: Oregon Linda

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Did somebody been able to find out what the heatvape defender is powering the atomiser, with PWM or DC power?
I don't understand why such vital information is never in the specification, or in most reviews. As I switched all my toppers to BVC last month, I had to retire four iStick 20 W, three Innokin CLK! and two Diamond Mist Apollo tube mods, because they are all feeding PWM to the coils, and the new BVCs gives a very distinct better flavor when fed with pure DC. Bought the Sx mini, provides the same perfect DC power just like the Innokin MVP, but it is bulky, pointy, dearly and I hate its user interface.
TIA
Anthony

The MVP 20 watt and especially the 30 watt provide the most accurate signal of any fixed battery device ,period . I could not believe how good a vape they provide , even smoother and more accurate than the MVP 2.0 and that one was outstanding . The iStick 30 and 50 watt are very good but not as good imo .

If the Defender proves itself i like that with the round buttons a lot more than the triangle buttons on the Stick as well . Still waiting for my year and a half old MVP 2.0's to start dying though , still working like new .

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
I've been running into other issues, some of which seem to be "normal " for the mod, one in particular, battery was very low (intentionally) woke the unit from sleep, and it changed from normal to TC and raised the wattage from 7.4 to 10W, which toasted my coil. I've seen where others recharge the battery at just less than 50%, and if that's something that needs to be done, then this mod just isn't going to work out for me.

This was posted in the Eleaf iStick thread about the Heatvape Defender.

Anyone else experiencing this "problem"???

Last edited:

ARHS

Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Sawyers Valley, WA, Australia
Have a defender and the iStick 30w. Both been spotless to me but the defender wins by a small margin.
Battery does last longer as it should. Wattage jumping has happened to me but it's down to resistance change from wobbly atty or so.
If you can't find a silicone cover (I can't at least) get a iStick cover and cut some holes for the buttons. It's a bit tight but once it's on it does the job.
Vaping them both at 25w with subtanks on top!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread