Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Hopefully...eventually...you'll be able to buy the KBox Mini without the Subtank Mini???

[My Nauty's and GS Air M's are all I desire!]

Right now you can pre-order one in either black or white for only $66.49 when you use coupon code “5OFFNOW” for 5% off. The expected release date is June 1st 2015.

Kanger Subox Mini

Veni Vidi Visa...

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
And there is always this: (see @ 15:00 in, where he pulls the batt :- )

Hey Kent...quite descriptive video on the 36Watt Defender. Thanx!

He links to a site with a NON-English (Spanish?) description.

It will be interesting...if/when it becomes available in the US...to see how the 25Watt and the 36Watt Defenders compare in size/weight/price.

Mod : DEFENDER 36W

Reactions: Kent C

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Hey Kent...quite descriptive video on the 36Watt Defender. Thanx!

He links to a site with a NON-English (Spanish?) description.

It will be interesting...if/when it becomes available in the US...to see how the 25Watt and the 36Watt Defenders compare in size/weight/price.

Mod : DEFENDER 36W

Should be interesting - yes. I doubt there's a change in size. And since the top wattage for me is @15 but usually at 12.5W for one flavor and 10W for another, I simply don't need it. Which is why I just got three more at HG in case they phase out the 25W - just in case there is a size change :- ) Don't want anything bigger (or smaller for that matter, lol).

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Last edited:
Reactions: clnire

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I just now stumbled across the 36WATT (from US)...but NO size/weight listed.

Heatvape Defender 36 Watt

I left the above for you in the other thread. :)

My Defender 36 is still in transit, but I checked the specs and the dimensions are the same as the 25W.

Reactions: gerrymi

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
Gerry, I just got one last weekend and left an initial review of it on the Itty, Bitty Mod thread. Here it is:

I was very excited to get my 50W Heatvape Defender in the mail today. Kudos to 3AVapes for the fast delivery time. They're in China, so I expected up to a month, but it has only been 11 days.

I've been vaping on it for most of the day and like it a lot. It's just a little bit bigger than an iStick 30W and fits well in my hand. It has rounded edges, so is very comfortable to hold. The electronics are similar to other mods, so I didn't even need to refer to the manual to get it up and vaping. The fit and finish is very nice and it feels real solid. With the battery in it, it's noticeably heavier than the iStick 30w, but not sure how it compares to the 50w, as I don't have one (thankfully!).

One thing that I noticed right away and really love is that the screen is big and bright. The numbers are very easy to read. Most of my other mods require me to squint to read the numbers. The ohms read in hundredths rather than tenths, like most mods I've seen.

But there are also a couple of little things I'm not so fond of. Nothing big, but I thought I'd mention them in case they are a big deal to someone else thinking of buying one. First, my GS Air tanks don't quite fit flush. There's a gap about a fingernails width. I bought the blue one, and it's really a lovely shade. But it's a bit slippery compared to my other mods. I'll need to really pay attention to that, as I can be a bit clumsy with mods at times. I've also had a few phantom fires. But that could be user error, as the fire button needs a firm press. I'm used to phantom fires from my iStick and it's not really a big deal, just something to be aware of. The plus and minus buttons rattle, but not the fire button. As I said, these are little things and really not a big concern to me.

However one thing that is concerning is the battery access. It's a round flush mounted panel at the bottom that requires a coin (or large screwdriver) to open. Which means I'll need to get used to carrying some change in my pocket when I use it. What concerns me about it, though, is the safety aspect. Just a few months ago, a longtime member of this forum reported a malfunctioning mod and she had to quickly get the battery out of a super hot mod before disaster happened. She managed to do that, but her mod was pretty toasted. Which is why I'm concerned about any mod that makes it difficult to get to the battery.

That's pretty much true of any mod with an internal battery, such as the iStick 50W with all the problems it has had. How much safer that mod might be with removable batteries people could take out if it started autofiring. That's one reason I'm lately more attracted to mods with external batteries. But having access that requires a tool to get to the battery defeats that. I much prefer the magnetic panel my Sigelei mini has.

But all in all, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. This seems to be a nice, high quality mod at a pretty decent price (I paid $49 for mine).

alexmot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2015
Louisiana, USA
Anyone here have any thoughts...or seen any reviews...on the Heatvape Defender 50w ?

√ Heatvape Defender 50W

Not a review, but I gave my initial impression on the Defender 50w here: Heatvape Defender 50W | E-Cigarette Forum

I've been using it exclusively for the last 2 weeks or so. Only change from my initial impression is that the "phantom fire" continues to happen, and happens a bit more often than I'd originally thought (several times per day).

Like Linda, pretty happy with it. I'd purchase it again.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
My new thing is getting into temperature control. I'll be trying out a 75W Pioneer4You IPV D2 I've preordered, and in the meantime I may also try the iStick TC 40W. There is also a pretty compact (but particularly heavy) Defender model with temperature control features. It has a rubberized body and is reportedly pretty durable, but it is also said to be rather quirky in its design. For its economy price, most users seem to like it. I too have the phantom fire issues (2-3 times a day) with my iStick 30W, and the buttons do rattle some, but it has otherwise been a very good little box mod for me - especially for the price. I'd order another 1 or 2 if I wasn't already moving on into the whole temperature control thing.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one getting phantom fires. I'm also getting 2+ a day. But I get the same thing with the iStick 30W. If it happened constantly, it would really be annoying, but it's just those few times.

With another person validating the phantom fires, I'm passing on this one. I went ahead an ordered another Kbox mini instead - I have one, like it, the shape is closer to the definite rounded corners of the Defender 25/36W where the 50 looks like it lost some of that - were it not for the phantom fires it wouldn't have been a problem but again, I just like the Subox batt a lot and have had absolutely no problems with it. Plus the magnetic door is a big plus and the lack of a spring loaded center pin hasn't been a minus - all but the eGo One topper has connected well and I didn't care of the eGo One topper that much lol. In the future I may get the V2 of the Kbox mini with the spring loaded pin but don't need another right now ;)

I'm a low voltage vaper, M2L, restricted air and while I have/had three TC mods, I sold one (VS rDNA-40) and vape the other two - Invader mini and Joyetech VT in non-TC mode.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
I went ahead an ordered another Kbox mini instead - I have one, like it, the shape is closer to the definite rounded corners of the Defender 25/36W where the 50 looks like it lost some of that

Kent...where did you order the KBOX Mini from?

I've seen multiple offers for the "SUBOX Kit" which is the KBOX Mini plus the Sub-Tank Mini.

However, since I think the "GS Air M" is the "perfect" topper for us MTLers...I have no interest in the topper included in the Kit.

Reactions: Kent C

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Kent...where did you order the KBOX Mini from?

I've seen multiple offers for the "SUBOX Kit" which is the KBOX Mini plus the Sub-Tank Mini.

However, since I think the "GS Air M" is the "perfect" topper for us MTLers...I have no interest in the topper included in the Kit.

I got/ordered mine from heaven gifts but I get a 'golden' discount there, as well as using extra points for another 15% off. So for others it might not be the best price, but for me (and the 2-3 day shipping) it is. I also ordered another GS Air M and a GS Air TC (and other stuff - coils, LGHE2's, etc.) for the exact reason you mention :- )

I had an aerotank mega on the one I have, but recently put the ST back on with a different set up - the older RBA and it's working fine. I was getting leaks from the other one and not sure why - I suspect sizing of the cotton - after I got the leak I over cottoned the coil and that didn't help, so I under cottoned it :) That didn't help either. Not sure if it's fixed but so far it's ok. It looks better with the black ST on it but that's not a main concern...

I intend to put the GS Air TC with kanthal coils on the new one. I like the smaller footprint of the TC topper - although it lacks the capacity of the M. We'll see.... lol. I'll likely try the TC coils on the TC topper with the Joyetech VT - just to see how that goes but I'm pretty much done with TC for now. The Invader mini and the VT will likely go up for sale. They're good units but I like the Defender 25/36W and the Kbox mini better for sizing/shape/workability.

When the internal batts on the Defenders die, I'll likely attempt a battery swap - see that one great video on doing that (post #69). The defender has 'rails' where the whole unit comes out intact and the batt replacement would require a solder of course, but I think it's doable - making the Defender 25W into a "Defender 50W" (without the extra wattage or phantom fires) lol.

If the deeming comes with a new grandfather date, I'll just stick to the Defender 25/36's. The Kbox minis were, in case that didn't happen. ;) Although I've come to really like that mod - and it would be cheaper just buying Samsung and LG batt replacements. lol

HawaiianVaporTrailz

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2015
This is kind of an old thread, but I'd like to mention that Heatvape will soon be releasing the upgraded Defender II model soon. Did away with the reversible 510/eGo thread adaptor; has 50 watts of power, and has a removeable 18650 battery to boot!

Other features includes support for tanks 0.2-3 ohms; small form factor, and quite affordable.

Though it does not support Temp Control, there are other models that do.

This mod is one of the finalists for my first vape set. Looking at Kanger Subox Mini, Nano and Joyetech eVic VTC Mini.

Hmmm. Defender II as my out-and-about vape, the Kanger or Joyetech as my stay-at-home unit.

Happy Vaping, everyone!
-Ross
:thumb:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
but I'd like to mention that Heatvape will soon be releasing the upgraded Defender II model soon.

The Defender 50W (aka Defender II) came out mid July - see Oregon Linda's post #93 above, and alex above hers.

I considered it and decided upon another Subox/Kbox mini at the time. I had one, and they had just the batt for sale but back ordered - never came in. I ended up with a VTC mini (and a subox nano later) but still prefer the Kbox mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread