eleaf istick lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Do they eventually konk out & can no longer be charged? Mine's probably close to 2 years old & was used almost daily. Already ordered a new one but wanted to make sure before I tossed it. Responsibly, of course. :)
Like with all lithium ion batteries, they only have a limited lifespan. The battery capacity will slowly go down over time. I'm sure after years of continual use, that battery is quite diminished. The two options are to either chuck it and buy a new one, or if you want to put a new one in, you could with a bit of soldering. They were designed just ot be trashed though.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Yup, and looks like you get great answers all around here.

All internal battery mods are "disposable" once they no longer hold a decent charge. Depending on usage, they can last anywhere from 1-2 years to 4-5 years... but once dead, it's over.

It's important to not let them go low, lithium batteries have a better lifespan when topped off before they get too low (about 1/2 if the lowest that I try to go for.

When you hear about the 300-500 cycles lifespan, the 300 is when you discharge them low... and when charged correctly, you can get closer and even over the 500 cycles.

But I consider disposable mods wasteful, to be honest, and I tend to recommend to go with replacement batteries type as if you have a great mod, it's sad to have to junk it when you could simple spend 10-30$ to get new batteries and keep it going.

Reactions: Tonee N

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Like with all lithium ion batteries, they only have a limited lifespan. The battery capacity will slowly go down over time. I'm sure after years of continual use, that battery is quite diminished. The two options are to either chuck it and buy a new one, or if you want to put a new one in, you could with a bit of soldering. They were designed just ot be trashed though.

Doesn't look worth it to me.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I dunno? I had always planned on doing it to one of my iStick 40w's when one Died.

But the darn things just won't Die.
For an inexpensive mod, they are good and I guess if your well versed in doing something like that , I guess, but for the average person, I think that spending an extra 20 dollars for a new one is well worth it.

Reactions: zelda

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
internal battery mods are like non refillable lighters... sometimes the flint goes first and other times it just goes empty... 2 yrs on a daily use IBM ( internal battery mod) would be considered a good value overall... a Vamo 3 has the life expectancy of .318 seconds... the time it takes to fall 38 inches to the ground ;)

Reactions: zelda

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
For an inexpensive mod, they are good and I guess if your well versed in doing something like that , I guess, but for the average person, I think that spending an extra 20 dollars for a new one is well worth it.

Yeah... I just kinda like to Tinker with things. And get a lot of Satisfaction out of taking something that Doesn't work, and bring it Back to Life.

And If I Hose it up trying to Fix It, eah, the Journey was it's own reward.

Sherry7001

Sep 26, 2015
Hamilton, ON
I also have a Pico with removable batteries but I like the istick for when I'm not home. Less crap to carry around, lol. It certainly doesn't owe me anything after 2 years of daily use. It even survived a tumble into my coffee.
Always get lots of good answers here. You guys rock!! :D

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Yeah... I just kinda like to Tinker with things. And get a lot of Satisfaction out of taking something that Doesn't work, and bring it Back to Life.

And If I Hose it up trying to Fix It, eah, the Journey was it's own reward.
Unless you're familiar with soldering batteries and have a proper safety setup, it's something that not very recommended. I've seen a few people try it and ended up with a bad situation.

In that video, the person is using a battery with an already welded contact strip (which could be not too bad to use such a pre-weld approach, BUT....), which means that he probably pulled it from another device... and checking the specs as we see the battery info in the video, that's a ncr18650b (Panasonic low drain, at about 6-7A) so it's probably pulled from a computer pack or such... and is actually NOT GOOD AT ALL for mods... if he hits any low ohm tank with that, he'd probably get on the news.

So yeah.. NOT something that I'd post on here as it's simply bad.

Last edited:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
It's toast. No display at all. Nothing. I'll drop it in the electronic/battery bin at work tomorrow.

Sounds like a good plan. Now it's time to get a replacement.
Doesn't look worth it to me.....

for an old mod, you're probably right. If you have the tools and know-how already, it might be, since you could technically upgrade it with a better battery.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Unless you're familiar with soldering batteries and have a proper safety setup, it's something that not very recommended. I've seen a few people try it and ended up with a bad situation.

In that video, the person is using a battery with an already welded contact strip (which could be not too bad to use such a pre-weld approach, BUT....), which means that he probably pulled it from another device... and checking the specs as we see the battery info in the video, that's a ncr18650b (Panasonic low drain, at about 6-7A) so it's probably pulled from a computer pack or such... and is actually NOT GOOD AT ALL for mods... if he hits any low ohm tank with that, he'd probably get on the news.

So yeah.. NOT something that I'd post on here as it's simply bad.

Why would someone put a Low End Battery into any Mod?

You Don't seem to understand How a Regulated Mod works. The Ohms of the Atomizer used is Meaningless. It's the Wattage a Regulated Mod is set to and the Battery Voltage that matters.

At 40w and 3.2v Battery voltage, my iStick 40W is asking the Battery to provide about 14 Amps. So a 20A CDR Battery with Safe Chemistry would be fine.

Last edited:

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Why would someone put a Low End Battery into any Mod?

You Don't seem to understand How a Regulated Mod works. The Ohms of the Atomizer used is Meaningless. It's the Wattage a Regulated Mod is set to and the Battery Voltage that matters.

At 40w and 3.2v Battery voltage, my iStick 40W is asking the Battery to provide about 14 Amps. So a 20A CDR Battery with Safe Chemistry would be fine.
I gather that english is simply not your first language...

I stated LOW DRAIN. I also stated "In that video" above that someone linked, about resoldering a battery in a disposable mod.

I don't think that you are able to read correctly.

And yes, the ohms on regulated mods do matter. It's part of a balanced system required to work correctly.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I gather that english is simply not your first language...

I stated LOW DRAIN. I also stated "In that video" above that someone linked, about resoldering a battery in a disposable mod.

I don't think that you are able to read correctly.

And yes, the ohms on regulated mods do matter. It's part of a balanced system required to work correctly.

Once again you have Demonstrated your Lack of Understanding of how a Regulated Mod works. As well as trying to Shift the Goal Posts when you Paint Yourself into a Corner.

Please Post where I condoned putting a Low End Battery in any Mod.

Stop Posting that Atomizer Ohms have some effect on a Regulated Mod's Battery Amp draw. It is False. And saying it is "part of a balanced system required to work correctly" is Laughable Tripe.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
My wife went through 2 Istick50's in about a year using one while the other charged. They are rather cheap but still its a waste to toss a perfectly working board cause the batts crapped out. They were the first and last internal battery hitter I will ever buy. I took one apart and one day going to replace the batts since it doesn't look all that hard to do but I have other hitters so I'm in no hurry.
Just to avoid getting poo flung at me..my wife tootle puffs at less then 15 watts.

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
Once again you have Demonstrated your Lack of Understanding of how a Regulated Mod works. As well as trying to Shift the Goal Posts when you Paint Yourself into a Corner.

Please Post where I condoned putting a Low End Battery in any Mod.

Stop Posting that Atomizer Ohms have some effect on a Regulated Mod's Battery Amp draw. It is False. And saying it is "part of a balanced system required to work correctly" is Laughable Tripe.
If your going to try an prove a point, learn to spell correctly an stop chatting complete rubbish. You are trying to dismiss ohms & they matter weather it is regulated or a mech.
If you are really this stupid you are dangerous so stop trying to be smart please. It is part of a balanced system & the only person whose laughable here is you, I don't want to read a post of someone trying to demonstrate he's right when he's not. You think ohms don't have anything to do with amps or current...
You are absolutely incorrect :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread