Not open for further replies.

FreeZen

Jul 30, 2016
USA

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
This scare keeps popping up once and awhile. It is pushed hard by a few strongly into TC, including at least one manufacturer it would seem, as a reason why we should all be using TC - or nothing at all.
What's up with this "ArcticFox" people are talking about? Is that some optional firmware you can load onto an istick Pico, or just some desktop software you can analyze your Pico with? Do you find it necessary, or just nice to optionally have? I'm curious.
The AF firmware has been a valuable upgrade to my Pico, Mega, and Vtc mini. It provides me with useful informtion about power and temperature of each puff. Already I've learned I can get the vape i want at 260 F and rarely go above 20 watts. That'a quite a bit less than 400F and 30 max watts settings I've been using. It also gives me resetable puff count and puffs time. It takes some time to learn how to use the menus on the pc and with buttons on the mod. Well worth the effort for me.

Reactions: IMRs

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA

Cool. Checking into it right now. Thank you.

I am also curious about this Preheat function that is a part of my latest Pico firmware upgrade. It's new to me. Sounds like it could be handy. I am curious how others are setting and using this function. I think it might be cool to play around with. For example, with my sub-ohm MTL TC builds I get some popping when I first press the fire button, even at 12.5W, which is not something I normally get with above ohm non-TC MTL builds. I'm thinking by playing with the Preheat function I may be able to setup a sort of soft initial ramp up to max set wattage that could avoid this popping? I know some people like that initial pop. I don't. I figure it probably increases the risk of juice spitting (maybe?), and probably otherwise lessens the usable life of my build, but am not sure. It certainly seems a tad annoying at the least.

Reactions: Foggy Road

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Cool. Checking into it right now. Thank you.

I am also curious about this Preheat function that is a part of my latest Pico firmware upgrade. It's new to me. Sounds like it could be handy. I am curious how others are setting and using this function. I think it might be cool to play around with. For example, with my sub-ohm MTL TC builds I get some popping when I first press the fire button, even at 12.5W, which is not something I normally get with above ohm non-TC MTL builds. I'm thinking by playing with the Preheat function I may be able to setup a sort of soft initial ramp up to max set wattage that could avoid this popping? I know some people like that initial pop. I don't. I figure it probably increases the risk of juice spitting (maybe?), and probably otherwise lessens the usable life of my build, but am not sure. It certainly seems a tad annoying at the least.
My understanding is the preheat function in the new stock firmware only applies to power mode but I could be wrong. I'm hoping I have it turned off in Arctic Fox.

FreeZen

Jul 30, 2016
USA
How exactly do you use it?
On DNA devices - Let's say I vape my Kayfun at 25 Watts TC. I set preheat for 30W for 1.5 second to warm coil faster.
On ArcticFox - I set power at 25W, preheat to 130% for 1.5 seconds. It's more convenient then DNA. The preheat power is automatically adjusted every time I change main power setting. I also like "Cooldown" curve in ArcticFox. I set it to start at 125% to warm the coil then slowly go down to 85%.

Reactions: Fullknight

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Did you ever drop it? Sounds like the same problem my friend has... her melo does the same thing... the 510 pin in the mod collapsed a bit we figure..it's not making connection.. I gave her my Crown Mini and it works perfect on it..think cause it has a longer 510 to make the connection.
serious cleaning all contact points help,, pencil eraser,, paper towel with hand sanitizer or alcohol works well too. some people use a product called (red- i think) deOx (its kind of pricey, but they say it really works).

Reactions: IMRs

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
Perhaps my Pico stockpiling is not that crazy after all... My husband, who is an anti-smoking psycho & has since turned into a 'vaping is the same as smoking, but much worse' ignorant psycho, just threw out my pink Pico that he found on the charger last night... Down to 8. :-x :cry:

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Perhaps my Pico stockpiling is not that crazy after all... My husband, who is an anti-smoking psycho & has since turned into a 'vaping is the same as smoking, but much worse' ignorant psycho, just threw out my pink Pico that he found on the charger last night... Down to 8. :-x :cry:
Why would he do that? Might as well just throw out a $20 bill. Even when my wife still smoked when I started vaping, I would never throw out a pack of her smokes. If I did, I would see the $14 (per pack in Canada) promptly leave our bank account soon after. No upside for either of us!

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
Because he hates them and thinks they are even more dangerous than analogs. He read one 2 paragraph article 2 years ago with a lot of 'mays' and 'maybes' in the text, so he took it as gospel and refuses to learn any more about it. The visual to him looks like smoke and he 'claims' that he smells smoke on me (which is preposterous, because he can't even smell when the milk has gone bad), so he just told me to quit or he'll throw them out. There is no reasoning with him, so I have not been vaping in front of him. I told him that I have been learning more and more about it every day and am confident that this, barring complete abstinence, is almost 100% safer than tobacco. His reply is 'quitting everything is even better'. I told him, I'm an adult and can make my own decisions, so I guess he thinks he made the decision for me... ARGH!

If he only knew what I have stashed away. :shock:

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
Because he hates them and thinks they are even more dangerous than analogs. He read one 2 paragraph article 2 years ago with a lot of 'mays' and 'maybes' in the text, so he took it as gospel and refuses to learn any more about it. The visual to him looks like smoke and he 'claims' that he smells smoke on me (which is preposterous, because he can't even smell when the milk has gone bad), so he just told me to quit or he'll throw them out. There is no reasoning with him, so I have not been vaping in front of him. I told him that I have been learning more and more about it every day and am confident that this, barring complete abstinence, is almost 100% safer than tobacco. His reply is 'quitting everything is even better'. I told him, I'm an adult and can make my own decisions, so I guess he thinks he made the decision for me... ARGH!

I hate you have to go through that. Maybe he will come around,
Did he marry you while you were a smoker? Anyway at least you know it's healthier than smoking! Good luck

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
. The visual to him looks like smoke and he 'claims' that he smells smoke on me (which is preposterous, because he can't even smell when the milk has gone bad)

:lol::lol:
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I hope you have it well hidden. So, what did you mark those liter bottles of nic in the freezer as?:D

Toots

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
USA
If I were the victim of such bratty behavior, I would buy three more for every item that got discarded or came up missing. And I would keep an inventory to be sure that I did not miss any escapees or runaways from that inventory. I would not want to miss any opportunity to triple my stash.

Bad behavior should not be rewarded. (My mother's words of wisdom passed down to me.)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

Sorry, but that's incredibly disrespectful of him. You need to have a stern talk with him and make it clear that he simply can't treat you like that. It's not a matter of whether vaping is dangerous or not, it's a matter of him not respecting you and trying to control you. You should be able to live your life according to your own choices, otherwise, divorce perhaps. I'm sorry, but this just makes me mad [emoji35]

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
@Eskie :lol: I haven't stock piled nicotine, because that would spiral into a whole other buying spree. I do have tons of juice and he knows about much of it... Hmm, should go check on it now! :sneaky:

He makes up his mind on something and refuses to see otherwise. I could show him the information/tests available, in black & white, and he'd still swear he was correct. Oh, he needs a stern talking to! I would never do something like that to him. He needs to be reminded of what a partnership is and allow me to make some decisions for myself. I don't vape in front of our son, so he needs to give me a little credit for being responsible.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
@Eskie :lol: I haven't stock piled nicotine, because that would spiral into a whole other buying spree. I do have tons of juice and he knows about much of it... Hmm, should go check on it now! :sneaky:

He makes up his mind on something and refuses to see otherwise. I could show him the information/tests available, in black & white, and he'd still swear he was correct. Oh, he needs a stern talking to! I would never do something like that to him. He needs to be reminded of what a partnership is and allow me to make some decisions for myself. I don't vape in front of our son, so he needs to give me a little credit for being responsible.

Family story. Not sure how old your son is. I never smoked in front of my daughter as one, she has asthma, two, it's just not something proper around nay kid, and three, she would be on my case about from like age 4 on (they start anti-smoking training early around here). So as time went on, she nagged, I stepped out for a smoke.

So now she's grown up (I can't believe it, she was just a little toddler), and I zip down to visit frequently in college in Houston. About a year and half ago I was so tired of heading down to the hotel lobby every time I wanted a cigarette I picked up a Vuse cigalike. Thing worked! I didn't feel the need for a smoke. After several months I moved on to "real" vape gear. Now when my daughter came home a few months later and saw I made that transition, she was ecstatic! she didn't mind my vaping around her, had no issues with her asthma (which did at first have me concerned but after hanging around outside with her and no problems we went back inside), and now buys me vape gear for birthdays/Father's day type stuff.

Her only reservation at first was the rather poor regard of vapers on her campus, as they were not the "stop smoking" but "let's blow clouds" crowd. She realized my personality was not the same as the competition vapers on campus.;)

Now, her mom (my ex) saw my Therion and gave it a try, and is considering taking it up as well, although I think she likes the mod more than the vape.:D

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
Well, my husband does have a conscience! He didn't throw my Pico away, but hid it from me instead. After some time of not speaking to him or giving him any attention, I sternly told him yesterday that I would never do such a thing to him (despite his obsession with the Mobile Strike game, that I want to smash to bits... :mad:), so he gave me back my Pico. Said he doesn't like it and doesn't want me to vape (although my stash of Nicoticket's Absolute Creme Brulee may be in jeopardy :eek:). The Pico family is in tact... 9. :wub:

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Well, my husband does have a conscience! He didn't throw my Pico away, but hid it from me instead. After some time of not speaking to him or giving him any attention, I sternly told him yesterday that I would never do such a thing to him (despite his obsession with the Mobile Strike game, that I want to smash to bits... :mad:), so he gave me back my Pico. Said he doesn't like it and doesn't want me to vape (although my stash of Nicoticket's Absolute Creme Brulee may be in jeopardy :eek:). The Pico family is in tact... 9. :wub:
He needs to understand that it's in no way or form up to him. It's your decision, and while it's lovely that he cares for you, he doesn't have the right to control you.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
That's good news. Still think you should can him and shove him to the back shelf of the pantry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread