Eleaf iStick "pico"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Hello T! When I do that I still get an error saying "TCR Error". And you are correct, the .015 is the diameter. Resistance is .39 (I'm using an Ego One Mega V2 with a v1 base).
Hey, Hey long time no chit chat! :thumbs:

The TCR Error is presented when the coil resistance doesn't change fast enough (using Kanthal in TC), or changes too drastically (loose post screw). The stock firmware used to just kick you out to wattage mode now these other firmware's will give the TCR error and stay in TC.

I doubt you are going to get a decent TC vape on the Ego One coils since they use a rubber grommet to connect the coil legs instead of a solid screw type connection. I could be wrong though as I have never used the Ego One. ;)

I'd start with a tank or RDA where you can screw down the coil legs, that way there is one less factor to cause trouble while you get your head around TC.

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods
Hey, Hey long time no chit chat! :thumbs:

The TCR Error is presented when the coil resistance doesn't change fast enough (using Kanthal in TC), or changes too drastically (loose post screw). The stock firmware used to just kick you out to wattage mode now these other firmware's will give the TCR error and stay in TC.

I doubt you are going to get a decent TC vape on the Ego One coils since they use a rubber grommet to connect the coil legs instead of a solid screw type connection. I could be wrong though as I have never used the Ego One. ;)

I'd start with a tank or RDA where you can screw down the coil legs, that way there is one less factor to cause trouble while you get your head around TC.
I'm fine with TC with the original firmware T. It's just this new firmware I'm having a problem with. Pico's with Pico firmware and EO Mega are tasting wonderful in SS mode. I just can't get past that TCR error in the new firmware. It was working fine in VW but I decided to do TC again a couple of weeks ago. :)

halfempty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Miami, FL
Maybe it's the wire I'm using. I use .015 SS. It doesn't seem to read it. I get an error message. When I use my coils with the Pico firmware, it works fine. I'll have to play around with it a little more when I get a minute. Thanks :)
By the way you expressed the wire diameter I'm guessing you are using aviation grade SS safety wire. If you are, that's usually not SS316 and could be your problem. Check the wire specs, most safety wire is either 302 or 304. Manually inputting the correct TCR for the wire type could help.

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods
By the way you expressed the wire diameter I'm guessing you are using aviation grade SS safety wire. If you are, that's usually not SS316 and could be your problem. Check the wire specs, most safety wire is either 302 or 304. Manually inputting the correct TCR for the wire type could help.
Thanks and yes, it is aviation grade wire! It crossed my mind yesterday and wasn't sure, but this is most likely the culprit. I'll wrap a coil with some SS316 in the next couple of days and see if that is the problem. I have a feeling you're correct. Thanks again. :thumbs:
Or I'll try my hand at changing to the correct settings to suit the wire.

halfempty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Miami, FL
Thanks and yes, it is aviation grade wire! It crossed my mind yesterday and wasn't sure, but this is most likely the culprit. I'll wrap a coil with some SS316 in the next couple of days and see if that is the problem. I have a feeling you're correct. Thanks again. :thumbs:
Or I'll try my hand at changing to the correct settings to suit the wire.
Glad I was able to point you in hopefully the right direction. Good luck!

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Good Catch!
:toast:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
ok, next step is to try ArcticFox NFE Team ;)

Okay...you did say 'resistance'...not the 'buttons.' I'm learning. With the resistance now locked, it seems stable...thus far.

I'll try the ArcticFox again... Last I tied it, my computer would Blue Screen upon evoking the software. (Win 10 Insider Preview). Now that the OS has been updated several time, I'll give it another attempt.

Thanks.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Okay...you did say 'resistance'...not the 'buttons.' I'm learning. With the resistance now locked, it seems stable...thus far.

I'll try the ArcticFox again... Last I tied it, my computer would Blue Screen upon evoking the software. (Win 10 Insider Preview). Now that the OS has been updated several time, I'll give it another attempt.

Thanks.
The AF firmware has been trouble free on my work computer, no pc at home at the moment. If you have the patience to learn it most of the settings are available with button presses though it's taking me a while to learn them. Temp control can be fussy. Connections need to be solid. I space my stainless coils ever so slightly but sometimes it doesn't seem to be needed. There's probably nothing wrong with your mods.

It would help a lot if the firmware was better documented. It works so well for me I may never give in to the temptation to pay 3-4 times the money for a dna60.

Reactions: Fullknight

FLICK

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2009
Australia
My daily setup:
P1160535c.jpg

When flying or riding offroad I keep my tanks upside down so they don't flood or leak.. To make my spare Pico travel friendly I modified a 40w iStick bender so I can fold it up and put it in my shirt pocket with the tank inverted:
P1160545c.jpg

P1160550c.jpg

P1160546c.jpg

$3.02 Authentic Eleaf iStick 40W Bending Adapter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
I had to do some minor mods:
- the release button was touching the battery cap so I had to file the button down a bit...
- the floating center pin through the bender seems a little long, combined with the Vika Fantasy (clone) pin being a little longer than standard the bender was hard to close, so I filed a bit off the bottom of the brass pin in the bender...

I use a fingernail to press the release button, it works fine for me but a nail biter might have issues:
P1160543c.jpg

I was thinking a bender might be useful for someone wanting to use a tank over 22mm onto a pico... It would need to be screwed on sideways so the button can be accessed.... It would raise the tank up to clear the battery cap, it could be flipped sideways to change the battery rather than unscrewing the tank like people do when they use a heat-sink to raise the tank... Probably not a very pretty solution, but it would work...

:)

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Thanks and yes, it is aviation grade wire! It crossed my mind yesterday and wasn't sure, but this is most likely the culprit. I'll wrap a coil with some SS316 in the next couple of days and see if that is the problem.

Hi IMRs...what's the advantage of using "aviation grade wire" over the more usual SS316???

Is this the stuff you're talking about => Stainless Steel Aircraft Lock/Safety Wire - .015 Dia

I was thinking a bender might be useful for someone wanting to use a tank over 22mm onto a pico... It would need to be screwed on sideways so the button can be accessed.... It would raise the tank up to clear the battery cap, it could be flipped sideways to change the battery rather than unscrewing the tank like people do when they use a heat-sink to raise the tank... Probably not a very pretty solution, but it would work...

Or...just get a SMOK AL85 Alien Baby...

The Pico and the Smok AL85 Baby are essentially the same size...

The Pico can accommodate up to a 22mm atomizer...the AL85 up to 25mm...

The Pico has a small screen...the AL85 has a rather large screen...

The Pico has a quite small Fire Button (which makes my thumb joint ache after 5-10 pushes)...the AL85 has a quite comfortable (and easy to find/squeeze) Firing Panel...

SMOK AL85 Alien Baby 85W TC Starter Kit Review | Spinfuel VAPE

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi IMRs...what's the advantage of using "aviation grade wire" over the more usual SS316???

Is this the stuff you're talking about => Stainless Steel Aircraft Lock/Safety Wire - .015 Dia

Or...just get a SMOK AL85 Alien Baby...

The Pico and the Smok AL85 Baby are essentially the same size...

The Pico can accommodate up to a 22mm atomizer...the AL85 up to 25mm...

The Pico has a small screen...the AL85 has a rather large screen...

The Pico has a quite small Fire Button (which makes my thumb joint ache after 5-10 pushes)...the AL85 has a quite comfortable (and easy to find/squeeze) Firing Panel...

SMOK AL85 Alien Baby 85W TC Starter Kit Review | Spinfuel VAPE

They don't tell you what kind of SS that is, only "aviation grade" and I'd see any real advantage for it over 316L from Temco, other than being $10 for 1,600 feet of it.:confused:

Oh, and Pico to AL85? I have both. I like both. The Pico can be found for under $30 these days ($21 from Rocky Mountain vapor code TURKEY reportedly still works). The AL85 is more money. The only reason I got the AL85 was for my 25 mm tanks, otherwise the Pico's are fine.

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods

How are ya Gerry?! Yeah, that looks exactly like it (and a one pounder should last about a lifetime!).:laugh: For some reason, I think it IS vaping better and it's a little more simple to wire a new coil up with it too. :thumbs:

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
They don't tell you what kind of SS that is, only "aviation grade" and I'd see any real advantage for it over 316L from Temco, other than being $10 for 1,600 feet of it.:confused:

Oh, and Pico to AL85? I have both. I like both. The Pico can be found for under $30 these days ($21 from Rocky Mountain vapor code TURKEY reportedly still works). The AL85 is more money. The only reason I got the AL85 was for my 25 mm tanks, otherwise the Pico's are fine.

I can confirm the code still works. Just received my latest $21 pico today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread