Eleaf Lyche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Anyone else have insight or tips with this tank? Here's mine and keep in mind I'm using 90VG juice.

I'll cut to the chase and say it's a big disappointment for me. Not because I hate the tank, but because I really really like the tank itself. It's something about the coils that ruin the experience for me. The tank itself looks good to me, is easy to fill and maintain and is relatively small considering it holds 4mil.

I liked the concept of the "no leak" Cubis tank but hated having to look for a fill line. I wasn't digging the coils either. In addition to the concept, I liked the top airflow too even though some would find it a little restrictive.

I thought the Lyche looked cool and maybe solved what I felt were short comings with the Cubis. The side fill meant I didn't have to worry about a fill line, yet it would be dead simple to replace coils and clean. The top airflow worked the same way, yet it's more wide open than the Cubis if you want it. I had also read promising things about both it's notch coil and the dual coil.

The tank itself was everything I had hoped, though using a side fill for the first time had a slight learning curve not to overfill. The problem is the coils. Again promising because they both taste good, but holy crap I can't keep them from not flooding. They gurgle and spit like crazy especially if you play around with finding a good wattage and temp in TC mode. I finally gave up on TC mode with these coils because of that.

The coils are rated between 40 and 60 watts. I can usually run lower on coils like that and these hit so hard that I wanted to lower them even more than my usual 37 watts (give or take). Okay, so maybe that was the problem, so I tried the minimum 40 watts. Nope, still had gurgling. Okay, lets try 50 watts. Hmmm, that's better, nope I take it back, gurgling and spitting again after letting it sit for 5 minutes. That's a shame, especially since it hits so strong in the 30s. Why would it hit so strong in the 30s yet have this issue? It makes me wonder if there just isn't enough cotton in there. I mean there are only two juice holes compared to the 3 much larger juice holes in the Cleito - and I don't flood Cleitos. So what's the deal.

I'm using it at 58 watts now and though it's better, and tastes great, you can still hear that it is sucking up some major juice, and if you let it sit for a couple minutes, it still gurgles. Considering how well it hits in the 30s, I don't want to go higher anyway because of battery depletion, but it's irrelevant because even in the 50s both coils gurgle. What a shame. Back to my Triton and Cleito coils.

26842948130_41d01dc2b3_h.jpg

Reactions: Shokker

Martin Lotsberg

Jun 10, 2016
www.ecassoc.org
I love the Cleito too! I found a temporary fix for my Lyche (if you still have yours). I twisted up a paper towel, held the Lyche upside down, took off the drip tip, and wiped out the chimney, making sure the tip of the paper towel is pointy so it reaches down to the top of the Notchcoil, where some extra juice is built up.

I have had to do this 3 times now. Once at first, and then one time after I spilt some juice while filling, which seemed to be the cause the second time, and then once more after a few tankfulls of juice.

I found also holding it slightly upright, and adding juice to one side of the side fill hole worked, and making sure it drips down before adding more (after having it bubble over).

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Garnoch

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    Keeping the fill port open as you screw the top in prevents the atomizer head being flooded due to increasing air pressure in the tank. I've had my share of superheated juice on the tongue before I learned about that, now there is almost no gurgling and no spitback.

Anybody have some coil building tips for the RBA head? I've found that my 26ga SS316 wire was totally inadequate for a parallel dual coil setup due to very low resistance, I had to do 12 wraps on each coil just to get to 0.25 Ohms and the coils had such a high heat capacity that the first 5 puffs would produce inadequate vapor and after about 10 puffs the mod and tank would become very hot. I solved the problem by building a crazy double coil (essentially 2 coils in a serial configuration, with 1 leg connected to its post and the other arching over the posts and going into the other coil), the resulting resistance was 0.77 with 7 wraps on each side (jackpot!). The double coil has no lag and doesn't heat up the device, it's awesome, but I'm sure a similar result could be achieved with dual parallel coils using 30-32wg SS316 wire.

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    I have some more experience with the tank now and building coils for it and here's what I've learned:

32 gauge stainless steel is very soft and is therefore very difficult to build coils with, I recommend at least 30 gauge stainless for coils. The regular "non-rebuildable" heads are actually easier to rebuild than the tiny RBA head, once you take out the old coil it will be obvious how to build your own, I went for a single coil 10 wrap 28 gauge stainless steel coil and I'm very happy with it. It's too bad they made the RBA head dual coil, it would have been perfect for single coils.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread