Status
Not open for further replies.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Had you considered getting the Cubis rba & making you're own Ti builds?

!!! G*NOTE FIVE !!!

Indeed, I have two of them. Didn't like the vertical build, but the horizontal is decent. 24 gauge Titanium G1, 6 wraps, on 3mm rod, .20 ohms. Wish the Cubis rba used screws and posts like the STM Mini's. At least one wire is captured by a screw, unfortunately this screw is really cheap and strips easily. However it is functional so far.

For lazy times, it's nice to toss in a rebuildable coil, and while I have seen ".04 ohm Cubis Titanium" coils on a few sites, no one had them in stock yet!

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Indeed, I have two of them. Didn't like the vertical build, but the horizontal is decent. 24 gauge Titanium G1, 6 wraps, on 3mm rod, .20 ohms. Wish the Cubis RBA used screws and posts like the STM Mini's. At least one wire is captured by a screw, unfortunately this screw is really cheap and strips easily. However it is functional so far.

For lazy times, it's nice to toss in a rebuildable coil, and while I have seen ".04 ohm Cubis Titanium" coils on a few sites, no one had them in stock yet!
I was just going to build on my Cubis RBA. Can I ask why you liked the horizontal coil over the vertical? Was going to try the vertical first but if you think the horizontal is better I'll make that one.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
I had a thought on using a juice that I know I made too sweet for RTA 's. I put it into the Melo III & now the juice is perfect! It's a way to use up the juice & use the Melo III. (I'm using the Triton's RTA head).
When I 1st started vaping I thought I was contantly getting hit with vapers tongue. Months went by before I just so happen to put one of the same juices I'd been vaping in a different tank & WOW...the flavor popped!!!

Funny how different juices, different tanks can make one hell of a difference! :banana:

!!! G*NOTE FIVE !!!

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I was just going to build on my Cubis RBA. Can I ask why you liked the horizontal coil over the vertical? Was going to try the vertical first but if you think the horizontal is better I'll make that one.

The vertical coil is harder to make, look at the bends with the included wire. Getting past that, wicking around the vertical coil is harder and time consuming. Since I did not notice anything superior in the vape, didn't seem worth the added time and trouble. BIGGEST PLUS of making horizontal coil, is when you want to rewick. Pull out the old wick, slide a new one in. With a vertical, you have to pull the entire coil out and start the rewick process again. Might be worth the effort if you decide the vertical offers something over the horizontal, but I did not. Play with both, and then decide.

Do however READ the little included manual, as well as some YouTube videos. When you make a horizontal coil, you need to add some wicking to the very bottom of the RBA, which you don't need to do on the vertical build.

It's not a great RBA, could have been better if they did not try and accommodate both vert and horz styles, used a better capture screw, and used two posts like the STM RBA. It's better then not having an RBA, but once I can find the Cubis titanium prebuilts, I doubt I'll be using the RBA much, at $8-10 for a 5 pack of coils it's just easy and convenient.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
The vertical coil is harder to make, look at the bends with the included wire. Getting past that, wicking around the vertical coil is harder and time consuming. Since I did not notice anything superior in the vape, didn't seem worth the added time and trouble. BIGGEST PLUS of making horizontal coil, is when you want to rewick. Pull out the old wick, slide a new one in. With a vertical, you have to pull the entire coil out and start the rewick process again. Might be worth the effort if you decide the vertical offers something over the horizontal, but I did not. Play with both, and then decide.

Do however READ the little included manual, as well as some YouTube videos. When you make a horizontal coil, you need to add some wicking to the very bottom of the RBA, which you don't need to do on the vertical build.

It's not a great RBA, could have been better if they did not try and accommodate both vert and horz styles, used a better capture screw, and used two posts like the STM RBA. It's better then not having an RBA, but once I can find the Cubis titanium prebuilts, I doubt I'll be using the RBA much, at $8-10 for a 5 pack of coils it's just easy and convenient.
Thanks so much for explaining in such great detail!:thumb:
I just thought the flavor would be better. Since you don't taste the difference I'll try the horizontal coil first then. I didn't realize it comes already coiled & wicked vertically. So I'll just use that then I'll build the horizontal. Thanks again!:thumbs:

Reactions: Mactavish

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Thanks so much for explaining in such great detail!:thumb:
I just thought the flavor would be better. Since you don't taste the difference I'll try the horizontal coil first then. I didn't realize it comes already coiled & wicked vertically. So I'll just use that then I'll build the horizontal. Thanks again!:thumbs:

Yes, vape the vertical first, remember it's a factory machine made coil, so even your own build attempts may not be as comparable. Then when you tire of it, take it apart to really see how the cotton is wrapped, then you can decide if you want to attempt verticals! Have FUN.

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Yes, vape the vertical first, remember it's a factory machine made coil, so even your own build attempts may not be as comparable. Then when you tire of it, take it apart to really see how the cotton is wrapped, then you can decide if you want to attempt verticals! Have FUN.
I just tried the vertical prebuilt RBA & thanks! You saved the Cubis for me! I wasn't feeling the stock Clapton coil even though I tried the "Vaping heathen" YouTube trick. Pulling out the metal piece of the coil with needle nose pliers. Now it's pretty good! I like :thumbs:

Reactions: DebiK

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
I just tried the vertical prebuilt RBA & thanks! You saved the Cubis for me! I wasn't feeling the stock Clapton coil even though I tried the "Vaping heathen" YouTube trick. Pulling out the metal piece of the coil with needle nose pliers. Now it's pretty good! I like :thumbs:
Heart can you provide me a link to the vid you're talking about?

mitro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
IL
IMO there's generally very little difference in flavor across any of the Atlantis-compatible tanks (I have 8 different models). The Melo 3 i just as good as any of them. However, the Eleaf heads I've used in the past have tended to be subpar. I generally use 0.4ohm Triton coils (SS), but for the Melo 3 I went with a kanthal Vaporesso cCell coil since those work best at a lower wattage which means filling that tiny tank a little less often (not that much less).

Flavor from the cCell has been excellent.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Continuing some tests with the Melo 3 tank. A little while before getting this tank with the new Eleaf Pico mod, I started getting interested in learning more about trying "rayon" as a wick for my rebuildables. There is a great thread here if you want to learn more:

Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

One of the many touted benefits over using cotton is better FLAVOR. So I thought it would be a perfect time to test rayon in the Eleaf ECR/RBA head. If you read my first post in this thread you will see I was not happy flavor wise with both the prebuilt titanium coils, as well as my own Ti with cotton wick build. I rewicked the ECR/RBA head with RAYON, and it really did increase the flavor levels. So at least I can get some use out of this tank if I want, using a rayon wick in the rebuildable head.

Some users have reported good results with the Aspire coils, so I'll give them a try when I get some, all I have now is the Triton RBA.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Continuing some tests with the Melo 3 tank. A little while before getting this tank with the new Eleaf Pico mod, I started getting interested in learning more about trying "rayon" as a wick for my rebuildables. There is a great thread here if you want to learn more:

Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

One of the many touted benefits over using cotton is better FLAVOR. So I thought it would be a perfect time to test rayon in the Eleaf ECR/RBA head. If you read my first post in this thread you will see I was not happy flavor wise with both the prebuilt titanium coils, as well as my own Ti with cotton wick build. I rewicked the ECR/RBA head with RAYON, and it really did increase the flavor levels. So at least I can get some use out of this tank if I want, using a rayon wick in the rebuildable head.

Some users have reported good results with the Aspire coils, so I'll give them a try when I get some, all I have now is the Triton RBA.
Thanks for the "little truck that could" mentality lol! Where do you buy your rayon? Lots of peeps use it on the Wotofo Serpent.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I have the Cubis tank and my Pico with the Melo 3 should arrive today. I noticed with the Cubis that the more the coils are used the better the flavor gets. More airflow would help but once I have the coil broken in after a day I up the wattage to 35 -40 and that seems to help the flavor. I was excited about the Melo tank because of the wide range of coils that can be used in it, such as the Atlantis 2 and the Ijust coils. I mostly use below .2 ohm builds on my TFV4 tanks and my RDAs at 80 watts but I bought the Pico with the Melo 3 as a stealthy work vape. Wismec is coming out with a slotted coil for the Cubis. That should be interesting:w00t:

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I have the Cubis tank and my Pico with the Melo 3 should arrive today. I noticed with the Cubis that the more the coils are used the better the flavor gets. More airflow would help but once I have the coil broken in after a day I up the wattage to 35 -40 and that seems to help the flavor. I was excited about the Melo tank because of the wide range of coils that can be used in it, such as the Atlantis 2 and the Ijust coils. I mostly use below .2 ohm builds on my TFV4 tanks and my RDAs at 80 watts but I bought the Pico with the Melo 3 as a stealthy work vape. Wismec is coming out with a slotted coil for the Cubis. That should be interesting:w00t:

I had a single Aspire Triton SS316 coil given to me some time a go. Tried it in the Melo 3, had more flavor then the Ti Melo coils I tested above.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I had a single Aspire Triton SS316 coil given to me some time a go. Tried it in the Melo 3, had more flavor then the Ti Melo coils I tested above.
I got my set-up today and I am getting plenty of flavor from the Melo using the .3 ohm kanthal coil. I primed the coil with plenty of juice, then I filled the tank and let it sit a few minutes and then gave it a couple of primer pulls. I started at 20 watts. At first all I could taste was the cotton, I gradually kept moving up the wattage as I vaped and right now I am at 50 watts and getting great flavor, so yes it is a bit like the Cubis as the coils have to be broken in, at least mine did. I love my little Pico too, it is like a Mod Puppy:) just too cute. I will try out the battery life tomorrow. I have a Samsung 25 R in it, so we will see how long it lasts;)

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I got my set-up today and I am getting plenty of flavor from the Melo using the .3 ohm kanthal coil. I primed the coil with plenty of juice, then I filled the tank and let it sit a few minutes and then gave it a couple of primer pulls. I started at 20 watts. At first all I could taste was the cotton, I gradually kept moving up the wattage as I vaped and right now I am at 50 watts and getting great flavor, so yes it is a bit like the Cubis as the coils have to be broken in, at least mine did. I love my little Pico too, it is like a Mod Puppy:) just too cute. I will try out the battery life tomorrow. I have a Samsung 25 R in it, so we will see how long it lasts;)
Excited to hear your thoughts on battery life & such! What color is your new "pup"?

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Excited to hear your thoughts on battery life & such! What color is your new "pup"?
I got the black one. It looks pretty slick. The .3 ohm coil is reading .27 and I have it at 50 watts this morning,. I am timing the battery life now and will post the results.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Battery life while not quite chain vaping, but frequently vaping, I got 2 and 1/2 hours at 50 watts. The tank however had to be refilled once. So at 50 watts you can vape 2 tanks on the .3 ohm coil for 2 1/2 hours. Since I only really get to vape on my half hour lunch this will be a decent stealthy pocket mod for my job. If you vape at a lower wattage and less frequently than I do, you can most certainly get more out of your battery. mine was a Sammy 25 R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread