Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
So, I purchased the new Mini iStick on a whim this week. I had a mild to moderate case of shiny-itis and this was the cheapest cure. May as well review it. I got the device in order to compare it to the older 10 watt iStick Mini and to see if Eleaf fixed some critical issues with it. I purchased this device with my own money, so no disclaimer is needed. And it's a purchase I'm glad to have made.

Prior to actually picking the device up, I thought this was just going to be a beefed up Mini iStick. More specifically, I thought this was going to be a variable voltage ONLY mod with a higher voltage output and wattage cutoff. It turns out that Eleaf changed tons of things about the device.

First, the box is much nicer than the one my older (all of four months old, now) iStick Mini 10w came in. I noticed the huge MyVapors logo on the box right off the bat. Makes sense a little bit, since Joyetech purchased Eleaf, but I'm not certain what the MyVapors computer assisted vaping has to do with this device... it doesn't support MyVapors at all, either on a PC or mobile device. Confusing, but no biggie. The box contains all of the standard goodies mods come with these days; the mod itself, a micro usb charging cable (no mains adapter, though... poo), a 510 to ego adapter for ego styled tanks, and the standard pamphlet/manual.

The device itself appears virtually identical to the older mini. The Eleaf logo has moved to the base of the unit, the MyVapors logo replaces the Eleaf logo that was on the side, and the Mini iStick logo now lists "20w" underneath. Otherwise, absolutely identical. The top and bottom of the mod are still chromed and are still fingerprint magnets... see the photos and excuse the beaten condition of my extensively used 10w mini. In all of the comparison pics, the 20w device is on the left.

The manual is what got me excited about this product. I always read product manuals prior to use, and it turns out this device supports both variable voltage AND variable wattage, just like the original iStick 20w. Very nice. Moreover, it swaps between the two by using the standard Eleaf three-click function. Three clicks of the fire button enters the mod into a select menu. Also just like the original iStick 20w. From this menu, you use the up and down arrows to select between variable voltage (3.0 to 5.5 volts in 0.1 volt increments, per the iStick 20w), variable wattage (8.0 to 20.0 watts in 0.5 watt increments, also like the iStick 20w), atomizer coil resistance on screen output, and battery life indication (read as a percentage). It's worth noting that having no tank installed results in a "No" reading for resistance. Install a coil rated below 1.0 ohms and the device reads "Lo" and the device will refuse to fire. Nice safety feature since the battery (likely an 18350) probably has too low of a rated amp limit to support sub ohm vaping. As far as I can tell, this device uses the same chipset that the original iStick 20w does... just reprogrammed for the different screen (the same exact screen that the 10w Mini iStick and the iJust D16 use).

So, how does it vape? This thing works like a champ. Battery life isn't stellar, but is more than enough for a tank pushing a mid 1 ohm range coil. Incidentally, the device has a max 5.5 volt output, so only coils with a resistance between 1.0 and 1.5 ohms can reach the full 20 watt output. 1.6 ohm or higher coils will vape lower, even if your device reads 20 watts. It cuts off on the fly. Similarly, coils with resistance below 1.5 ohms can't vape at the max 5.5 volts. You'll get the full 20 watts, but voltage will drop on the fly.

The Nautilus Mini vaped great on this at 17.5 watts with an 80% max VG juice. The GS Air MS ran at 19.0 watts with the same juice. My Subtank Nano with the new 1.5 ohm vertcal coils rocked the sure shot with the same juice... 20 watts, no problem. It even vaped 100% VG at the full 20 watts. Any of these three tanks is a GREAT match with this mod. With the Nano and the Nautilus Mini the whole kit measured about 115mm from base to top of the drip tip. With the GS Air MS, about 98 mm. Not bad at all. I've been using it with the GS Air MS for the mostpart, due to the diminutive stature of the kit with that tank, but any of these three tanks absolutely rock with this mod. All of them (and any 19mm tank, for that matter) will sit flush on both sides and will overhang the front of the mod by about 1 mm. No biggie.

Overall, I'm quite pleasantly surprised by this little beast. It's effectively an iStick 20 watt, gutted and crammed into a Mini iStick body. I even prefer the screen. The only two downfalls I found are the battery life (about 2/3 of a day with my moderate to heavy vaping) and the fact that the screen can't be put in to a stealth mode. The battery life isn't a big deal. At 1.5 ohms, tanks won't suck the battery dry like sub ohm vaping will. As it is, I consider myself a moderate to fairly heavy vaper and with any of the three tanks I listed, I get about 2/3 of a day out of it. The battery charges from DEAD to full in under 90 minutes, so it's no big deal... carry around a usb cable. The lack of a stealth mode IS kind of a bummer, though. This little screen is pretty damn bright in a dark room. Oh well, I can live with it. Does this replace my Subtank Nano and Ego One? No. My Subtank Nano and SX Mini M Class? Heck no. It really is a nice, small, stealthy vape for work and other situations that require discretion, though. My cloud chucking daily drivers just make too much of a scene, sometimes.

I personally think that Eleaf/Joyetech is going to eventually drop the original 20 watt iStick and the 10 watt Mini once back stock of these units has been depleted and production commitments are met, replacing both of them with this device. That would make sense, anyhow. I believe this was the original plan when the 10w Mini came about, but the chipset chosen didn't allow for all of the features and power they wanted.

Oh, it doesn't have a spring loaded 510 pin, either... also a bummer... three downfalls. All of that aside, this thing is an AWESOME stealth vape... I am MOST impressed. Good stuff from Eleaf and Joytech lately... good times for the consumer.

5212015195321.jpg 5212015195716.jpg 5212015195248.jpg 5212015195430.jpg 5212015195753.jpg 521201519554.jpg 5212015195848.jpg 5212015195535.jpg 5212015195922.jpg 5212015195646.jpg

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
I didn't enjoy the bad 510 threads and the Mean electronics on my 20 Istick. Have these been fixed on this?
No. It uses the same 510 threading that the original iStick 20w and the 10w Mini use... not spring loaded, same threading. That said, I've never had any issues with the threads on this tank, the original iStick Mini, or the original 20w... make sure to back the tank's threads out until it clicks before screwing it in... this fixes all of those nasty issues. As far as I can tell, it uses the same chipset that the original iStick 20w does, so it probably uses mean power, too.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    No. It uses the same 510 threading that the original iStick 20w and the 10w Mini use... not spring loaded, same threading. That said, I've never had any issues with the threads on this tank, the original iStick Mini, or the original 20w... make sure to back the tank's threads out until it clicks before screwing it in... this fixes all of those nasty issues. As far as I can tell, it uses the same chipset that the original iStick 20w does, so it probably uses mean power, too.

TY. I can handle bad threads, but my 20 cocked my topper bad enuf just from being in my front pocket that I had to whack it with a hammer on the high side to get it released, lol. Afterwards I had to use the adapter, and that would make the mini bigger than I want stealth wise.
    The Mean settings were OK for awhile but after I got a 30............
    I'm sure these would be great for a backup or occasional use. For me.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2015
    North Charleston, SC
    So, here's the GS Air MS tank paired with my new iStick Mini 20 watt. Currently I've got a Jufun dual o ring drip tip in it that I picked up from Fasttech and am vaping a naturally extracted Nicotiana Rustica that I cold macerted myself. It's 100% VG and I've been vaping it at 18.0 watts on the new mini with zero dry hits. Awesome combo!

Take a look at my review of the GS Air MS here:
    GS Air MS... very nice starter tank or stealth vape | E-Cigarette Forum
    5252015152127.jpg

Last edited:

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2015
    North Charleston, SC
    Just surfing a bit tonight and noticed that Totally Wicked has their rebadge of the 20 watt iStick Mini available in a kit. They call it the Curve Mini 20w (the same labeling that Totally Wicked's UK subsidiary TECC uses, incidentally) and it comes with a rebadged GS Air MS called the CS Air Micro. The battery has the TECC and Curve logos and the tank has the Totally Wicked devil and CS Air logos... that's the only difference. Comes with a free 10ml juice of your choice, too along with the standard starter kit extras like a charger cable, ego to 510, etc. It costs $40 plus shipping, which is a couple of bucks higher than piecing it together yourself, but you might save on shipping, getting it all in one shot, evening the cost out... and you get the free juice. Also, TW always has discounts and YoYo sales going on. Bookmark it and check it every couple of days if you're interested. I've seen the original Curve kit go for 20-25% off from time to time. That would make this $30-32 plus shipping... not bad. Just get the cotton GS Air coils elsewhere and you're set.

The specs on their page are a bit off, incidentally. Like the iStick Mini 20 watt, it has a voltage range of 3.0-5.5 volts, not 3-5 volts as they list. Also, wattage output is 8-20 watts, not 5-20 watts, as they list. The CS Air Micro has a capacity of 2.5 ml, not 1.5 ml. They list battery capacity at 1100 mah, not 1050 mah. This may or may not be accurate... TECC lists the same specification on their site... maybe a different 18350 is used for manufucturing on that side of the lake. Like the iStick, it doesn't come with a wall mains adapter either, just FYI.

Curve Mini 20W Kit with 1 bottle of US made Patriot Range e-liquid

Last edited:

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2015
    North Charleston, SC
    Use discount code FOURM1 or FORUM3 for 20% off of any non discounted items. This makes the kit $31.99 plus $2.99 shipping to the US. That's $34.98 total... really, cheaper than you can piecemeal this elsewhere... and with a free 10ml bottle of juice (their RY4 is pretty good, incidentally). Not bad. Just make sure to pick up your spare coils elsewhere. They charge an arm and a leg for two coils... and they only carry the older 1.5 ohm coils, currently. I'd get one or two five packs of the new 1.2 ohm organic cotton coils elsewhere (Sweet-Vapes has them in stock) and keep the stock silica 1.5 ohm as an emergency spare.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bookworm

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2015
    North Charleston, SC
    So, if you're an existing Totally Wicked customer, they just added a $7.50 credit to all customer accounts that must be redeemed by September 1st. With the 25% off SUMMER25 coupon and the $7.50 credit, this makes the Curve 2 Mini kit $25.48, shipped. That's cheaper than you can find the battery by itself in most places. Look at my previous post for the cheapest link to the new coils that I can find...

The tank by itself comes in at $5.98 out of pocket, shipped after the credit and discount. Not bad.

More info here:
    Summer giveaway!

Last edited:

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2015
    North Charleston, SC
    OK, just for giggles I tried to register a new account on TW to see if any of you out there can register and still get the credit...
    Nope. It's for pre existing members only. Poo. Oh well. Any of you with a TW account, make sure to log in before September 1st and use your credit for something, even something small. Don't waste free money!

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
    Feb 21, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Anything below the 50 is not worth it to me. Just not enough power. Nautilus Mini was okay but, they lasted like a day and it was more a headache then satisfying to me, 6 month ago when I quit smoking. I always needed pliers to get the atty off the mod. To any newbie. Eventually your going to want more power so you should just go for the 50 watt up front with a subtank mini. Thats what really helped me quit.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2015
    North Charleston, SC
    Anything below the 50 is not worth it to me. Just not enough power. Nautilus Mini was okay but, they lasted like a day and it was more a headache then satisfying to me, 6 month ago when I quit smoking. I always needed pliers to get the atty off the mod. To any newbie. Eventually your going to want more power so you should just go for the 50 watt up front with a subtank mini. Thats what really helped me quit.
    Well, every vaper is different. Lots of folks keep doing nothing but mouth to lung hits the whole time, even years after starting to vape. Some folks tootle puff at lower wattage levels under 20 watts. Some people, like me, like to have a stealthy, pocket friendly mod for discreet at-work puffing. That's the user group a setup like this is aimed at.

Glad to jear your Subtank is working out for you. If you haven't already, try the newer vertical coils. The 0.2 ohm versions come out very soon and can fully take advantage of the 50 watts you have at your disposal.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread